News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine painting Questions

Started by AKcharger, January 09, 2021, 10:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Next week I'm going to pull the engine to paint it and the bay...questions are:
- 1970 383 HOLLEY 4bbl, that's Hemi Orange right?
- How many cans of paint should it take? it's Orange now just junky
- What color were the exhaut manifolds? right now they are plain weatherd cast Iron, actually don't look bad but while I have them out any suggestions of paint or coatings? From the factory they were painted engine color and it just burnt off right?

Thanks!

maxwellwedge

I think the 70 Holley equipped 383's were orange - someone else can chime in.
Only a Hemi was Hemi orange. The big blocks were a different shade of orange.
The factory painted right over the bare exhaust manifolds. A lot of people paint them some cast finish and don't overspray them. That's ok.  :cheers:
But I'm a sick purist on my stuff  :icon_smile_cool:

ODZKing

Not sure on the 70 engine as that was right around the time they were changing everything to the Mopar blue.
Depending on if you use a primer, at least 3 cans. More if you don't use one.
However for the manifolds ... Cast Blast. AWESOME stuff.
I did my 67 at least 10 years ago and still they look great.

heyoldguy

According to the Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide......all 383's in the 1970 Chargers were painted Chrysler Blue. 383's in 1970 Road Runners or Super Bee's were painted Hemi Orange (except for a few with air conditioning).

flyinlow

Quote from: heyoldguy on January 13, 2021, 05:23:29 PM
According to the Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide......all 383's in the 1970 Chargers were painted Chrysler Blue. 383's in 1970 Road Runners or Super Bee's were painted Hemi Orange (except for a few with air conditioning).

I guess 1970 Charger with a 440 would be blue also?

heyoldguy

According to the same book in 1970 all 440's were painted Street Hemi Orange, even those with air conditioning.

cdr

Many years ago I has a 70 Road Runner, all original 383 with COLD A/C, the engine was orange.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

heyoldguy

Quote from: cdr on January 14, 2021, 11:21:27 AM
Many years ago I has a 70 Road Runner, all original 383 with COLD A/C, the engine was orange.

Yep, 383 engines in 1970 Road Runners were orange. Though most 1970 Road Runner 383 A/C engines were orange, few 383 A/C engines were painted blue.

AKcharger

Thanks guys. What Im seeing is the A/C Makes the difference. Its currently orange

kent

My 23000 original 70 Charger 500 383 HP Holley was painted Hemi orange.
I know the exhaust manifolds were suppose to be painted overspray orange, but I put Seymour Cast Blast to manifolds anyway. I love the look. a there high heat? I remember baking them in the oven when the wife was at work.
Kent

Kern Dog

Yeah....I think that there was a difference based on the engine code. MY 383 2 barrel from Jigsaw was blue. The 383 4 barrel was supposed to be orange, right?
I say.....Paint it whatever shade YOU want.

maxwellwedge

I think 440 (not Hemi) orange is correct. My 70 Challenger 383 R/T I had in the '70's had an orange engine.
I've found those resto books have a lot of incorrect information.

AKcharger

kent

Exactly. Not all those books print the correct information. That's why I posted. Just trying to help.
Kent

AKcharger

All paint ordered... working plan  to get wife out of house for a few hours to bake manifolds  ;)

AKcharger

Hey! another question... the air cleaner, is it Semi-gloss black or black "krinkle" paint?

gtx6970

kent

10-4 on the "Krinkle"  Is she a HP? Holley? Dual snorkel? 440 right?
Before and after pictures would be nice :popcrn:

Kent

AKcharger

Well here's the start. right now it's stripped down and about ready to pull. picking up cherry picker tomorrow. what's really annoying is I know after all this work and effort only a tiny fraction of the engine will be visable under the hoses and A/C stuff

AKcharger

On schedule, Motor out and cleaning in progress, Manifolds are primed, will paint and bake tomorrow as well as paint engine bay. Engine back in by Wednesday. Unfortunatly those stupid heater pipes were  rusted in and had to cut one off....grrrrr!

maxwellwedge

If you care about correct details, here a a couple....the dipstick tube should be bare steel, and the fuel pump painted orange.  :cheers:

AKcharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 19, 2021, 12:35:46 PM
If you care about correct details, here a a couple....the dipstick tube should be bare steel, and the fuel pump painted orange.  :cheers:
Thanks Max ...painted the fuel pump, oil stick, not so much...

metallicareload99

Quote from: AKcharger on January 19, 2021, 11:59:53 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 19, 2021, 12:35:46 PM
Thanks Max ...painted the fuel pump, oil stick, not so much...

Looks awesome, what did you do to clean/prep that? :drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

AKcharger

Soak with 2 cans of engine degreaser, rinse, followed by by pain staking toothbrush scrub of all areas with solvent. Final wipe with degrease/dewax solvent (from car paint) and 2 cans of paint 1/2 can clear coat. Enlisted help of brother-in-law, he did cleaning while I painted bay.

Oh and used VHT prime and paint on manifolds, "baked" them in oven while wife wife was out on errands he he!  :D

maxwellwedge

AKcharger

Yup. They make high temp engine clear

darbgnik

So did you ever post exterior pics since you've had the paint touched up?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

AKcharger

Quote from: darbgnik on January 24, 2021, 01:33:39 AM
So did you ever post exterior pics since you've had the paint touched up?

I did! Here..

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html