News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Prices of Daytonas

Started by triple_green, January 12, 2021, 05:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

There has been a lot of discussion here about pricing on Daytonas. I was wondering if anyone has info on actuals sales of Daytonas, not just the asking prices, several have been priced around and above $300K, but don't appear to have sold. I'm interest in 440-4 cars not hemis.

I know that a professionally restored not driven car is going to more than a survivor or partly restored car. I looked at the Hagerty Valuation tool and it says what is below. Not sure how much data they have. Obviously not many of these turn over.

#1 Concours $296,000
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at
the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are
mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles
is "concours."
#2 Excellent $236,000
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned
observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome,
glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate
from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."
#3 Good $167,000
#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a
fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts.
These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will
not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

There are 10% adds and subtracts for transmissions and SE package, etc. I know color can also be a big factor.

Do you think these prices are in the ball park or off base?

Same tool puts my 383-4 68 Charger at $28.3K #3 and $40.4 for #2
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69_500

I think there are a few other things to consider as well. Numbers matching? What transmission? Documentation?

Those things are also huge factors in determining the value of any car, not just limited to Daytona's.

Personal opinion, in the last year we have seen 3 of the top 5 Daytona's in the world up for sale. 1 has sold, the other 2 are currently for sale. If those 2 cars are having a hard time garnering interest at the $300k level for 440 cars, then there simply aren't any others to consider around that price.

The difference in those 3 cars and any other "restored Daytona" is huge. To the novice however, those 3 cars don't look as good as the restored cars. However to a true OE fan the difference are huge, and very costly. The amount of money one would have to spend to take what is a good #2 car to get it to OE correct #1 car is probably in the neighborhood of $60-100k. Thats not a lie. Start adding up the cost of various parts, and if we are going for a true #1 OE car now we have to find the correct date code as well. All that time to find the part, and then to secure it all adds up.

gtx6970

I know of 3 daytonas sold in the past year . cheapest one was 198,000 .
I think Tony Ds white with red interior car broke $340k in Jan 2020

All these were 440 cars

So the market is definitely there for good money

triple_green

I was def considering numbers matching as a base for my above comments. I know it is a significant price reduction if it doesn't have correct engine or trans.

I myself would prefer a #3 or between 3 and 2 over a restored done. I like to drive my cars and not be afraid of a little wear, but I appreciate a highly restored and correct example as well.

If a number 2-3 came available to you think it would ever be near $200K?

Thanks!
Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

WINGMAN

Then 440 project cars have sold in the past few years for $90K to $125K if i am right. Not many of those still left out there to restore. Mine  (if i ever get it finished) will be a #2. I just need to live to be 125 years old. Jay (Wingman). :icon_smile_big:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

I spoke to a gentleman just the other day that has his Daytona listed for sale at $219k, during the conversation he flat out told me he would take $175K for the car. I don't think he has had many calls at his asking price, thus the reason to be willing to go lower.

The car I am speaking of is a number matching car, automatic by the way.

ph23vo

69_500...could you let know a little about the daytona? ... thanks