News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger won’t start, rebuilt engine, new battery - thanks!

Started by BrokenHero, January 16, 2021, 07:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenHero

And I need it out of my apartment complex by tomorrow night.
383 was rebuilt a year ago, but it's been mostly sitting. Started as recently as three months ago with a jump. Installed new battery today just to be safe. Still didn't start. Wondering if its a fuse?
Thanks in advance for any help! Would love to be able to start it up on my own.
Has MSD electric ignition.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

AKcharger

Sorry to hear you problems. welcome BTW!

OK if it was running before fine and not now lets narrow down to Gas, Spark, Compression

- forget compression thats a remote possiblity
- is ther gas at the carb? check by removing aircleaner and moving linkage...does gas squirt if yes not a gas issue
- pop a spark plug wire...if you a MAN yould hold it while a helper turns car over, if you find youself on the ground spark OK (if not a man use a screw driver and have it arc to an exhaust manifold) if you see a spark on occaasion Spark OK

Check that and get back to us, otherwise your just going to be throwing $$ at it

70 sublime

When you say it would not start what do you mean ??

Does it crank over but not fire or will not crank over ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

BrokenHero

Thank you, AK and 70 Sublime!

I will try the carb/gas and spark plug wire tests tomorrow.

70, it doesn't seem to be cranking over at all. Basically I turn the key and it clicks once. And doesn't do anything.

A pic is attached.

Thanks again!
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Quote from: BrokenHero on January 16, 2021, 11:46:43 PM
Thank you, AK and 70 Sublime!

I will try the carb/gas and spark plug wire tests tomorrow.

70, it doesn't seem to be cranking over at all. Basically I turn the key and it clicks once. And doesn't do anything.

A pic is attached.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a dead battery or a bad connection at the battery or the cable ends going to the battery

BrokenHero

Oh interesting, thanks! I bought a new battery from autozone today and hooked it up correctly (I believe).It came with  felt washers and grease, which I hadn't seen before but installed. Also, before I got the new battery it wasn't responding to a jump. Do you think there's an issue with those small cables that go from
The posts to the MSD?
Thanks again

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

GreenMachine

The MSD has nothing to do with the starter engaging. Sounds like it's either a stuck starter relay, loose battery cable connections, or corroded cables. How old are the cables?

The first thing I would do is jumper the starter relay. It's on the firewall on a '68 Charger I think.  Have the key in the run position and shifter in park. Use a jumper wire or even a screwdriver to jump the battery terminal and the middle terminal (SOL) on the starter relay. If it doesn't crank over, and your battery cables are old, clean any corrosion from the mating surfaces with a wire brush. Or just replace them. You can start with the neg. cable first since it's cheaper and easier. If it still won't start then replace the pos. cable. Last step would be to replace the starter itself.

Battery cables can look good from the outside and still be corroded on the inside.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

AKcharger

Hold all my suggestions till you get it to turn over, hopefully you will not need them

b5blue

1st check the neutral safety switch. Wiggle the shifter, cycle shifting then turn the key to crank. Next you can jump the starter relay to force starter to crank.

BrokenHero

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
I didn't get it running in time but had it towed to my new apartment in Encino.
I'm going to try to jump the starter relay.
Battery cables could be old too.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Mopar mechanic in Los Angeles/Encino/Sherman Oaks?
Thanks!
Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

Thanks for everyone's help!

I wasn't able to do much myself, but found a mobile mechanic who came out and replaced the starter. Fired up and ran great! Took it around the block for a victory lap.

Do people use high torque starters? Perhaps I should convert to that eventually, but I think I have a year warranty on this.

Thanks again
Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

AKcharger

70 sublime

Quote from: BrokenHero on January 21, 2021, 07:51:19 PM

I wasn't able to do much myself, but found a mobile mechanic who came out and replaced the starter. Fired up and ran great! Took it around the block for a victory lap.

Do people use high torque starters? Perhaps I should convert to that eventually, but I think I have a year warranty on this.

Thanks again
Ted

Good to hear it is running

Factory starters have been doing the job for 50 years now so I think you should be good with just a regular starter

b5blue

Quote from: BrokenHero on January 21, 2021, 07:51:19 PM

Thanks again
Ted
I wouldn't worry about it till much later. Good luck with the car!  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

Great to hear that the problem was fixed. Welcome to the group.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BrokenHero

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA