News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger - Stock Steering Wheel vs. Wood Grain Steering Wheel

Started by matchek, January 16, 2021, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matchek

Hi All, this is my first post and entry into the Mopar World! Typically am I GM guy, but my Mopar brother finally got me in.

I have a question about the 1970 Dodge Charger Standard Black Steering Wheel (with the half ring) vs. the Wood Grain Steering Wheel with the center cap.  I think that the wood grain steering wheel looks better but is it the same diameter and does it handle the same?  The Charger in question has power steering.
Does either one help you view the gauges better or worse?

Form the pictures it looks like the Black Steering wheel is a little larger.  In my case the Black one is in really good shape so I am hesitant to change it, but the wood grain wheel look so classy and a little more modern to the times.
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome.  They are both the same diameter and are interchangeable on the steering column.  You will need the specific horn ring & adapter for the wood wheel
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

matchek

Thank you.   I though the stand steering wheel was 16" and the Wood Grain was 15".  But got that from people selling it on ebay but wanted to verify it with someone who is a real Charger owner.    By the way what kind of steering wheel do you have on you 69 and what is its diameter please?
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

darbgnik

Even though I haven't seen one with it from the factory, a Mopar Tuff wheel was an option for a 1970 Charger, which is what I swapped my wood wheel for. Well, actually for a Grant leather wrapped Tuff wheel replica...

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

GreenMachine

Both are 16"
I like a smaller wheel with power steering, 14-15".
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.