News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 engine boring /honing questions

Started by flyinlow, January 17, 2021, 01:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Can you typically bore an engine .010 at a time and get good clean bores? for example plus .010, then later plus .020,then later plus .030 ,etc.

how much metal does honing take off? foe example at .030 over do you bore .029 and hone the last .001?

Challenger340

Quote from: flyinlow on January 17, 2021, 01:41:51 AM
Can you typically bore an engine .010 at a time and get good clean bores? for example plus .010, then later plus .020,then later plus .030 ,etc.

how much metal does honing take off? foe example at .030 over do you bore .029 and hone the last .001?

You can bore as much or little as you want..... even .001" to .002" at a time.
but the action of a carbide cutter removing cast Iron in a Cylinder actually "fractures" the base cast iron as material is removed, and hence why generally .005" material removal by Honing after the Boring operation is Rec'd to remove all fracturing and provide a viable Hone finish to accepted Piston Ring break in.

Example:
If I wanted a Final Bore dimension .010" larger than where I am currently.... and I needed to BORE.... I would probably BORE .005" and then HONE .005" to Final Size so as to remove all fracrturing from the cylinder wall from the Boring.
in reality
if only going .010" ? NOBODY would bother BORING.... they would just HONE the full .010" or use courser Diamonds to remove the first .005" then finer diamonds to Final size.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

flyinlow

Now I know a little bit more about engine building. Thanks!