News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silver Daytona on Ebay XX29L9B400565 - A4 -C6X- four speed

Started by tan top, January 19, 2021, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 23, 2021, 12:21:27 PM
Does the nose around the headlight doors look unusually contoured to anyone else?

Yes, I noticed that right off, seems typical of most wingcar noses often repaired from an accident by an individual or shop that has no reference to reshape/contour the nose back to the proper shape, chances are if it's the original nose hammered out, it's full of bondo and carved to shape, seen this a lot over the decades....

overall it's a nice car, a few issues, but nothing that can't be corrected....

Mike G

taxspeaker

Been staring at this engine for 15 minutes trying to determine what is catching my eye as "wrong". Then it hit me-that's the wrong location for PCV on passenger valve cover. This is at the front of the valve cover and my original yellow 69 440 has it at the back of the valve cover. In the green one from Barret Jackson it is also at the rear of the valve cover. Now I've gotten to thinking-if the engine is restamped and this is the wrong valve cover is the engine even a 69 440? I don't know enough about engine/year differences to place the pcv in the front, but I think that is a ??? valve cover on a ??? engine. It says date code correct but from what kind of vehicle? Engine pic does not show the pad to see.

Anyone else? Somebody said the fender tag is bad-I know it does not match the broadcast sheet, but can't see the issue on that.

Thanks
Bob

6bblgt

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 25, 2021, 09:13:38 AM
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 23, 2021, 12:21:27 PM
Does the nose around the headlight doors look unusually contoured to anyone else?

Everything about the nose edges and contours look really soft.       Of course, it may not even be the original nose.   
the way it dips on the ends looks alot like early Gregory Noses 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

taxspeaker

Current online auction through Proxibid is $150,000 + 11% internet fee
Live about an hour south of me Saturday-thinking of driving down to watch the show.

426HemiChick

20 March 2021

The nose looks strange. The driver side where it meets the fender seal droops. The nose appears pudgy around the headlights and the headlights don't look correct; contoured where they shouldn't be. Not experts but it just doesn't look correct to us.

If we were looking to buy it, we would want a genuine verifiable Daytona to have beside it for a comparison. Yes, it looks very nice and clean, but, what surprises lie under all that slick and shinny paint.

The photo Ernie posted after that Daytona lost an argument and got punched in the snot locker, tells us there's a good chance of hidden damage-repair.

Wouldn't touch it. Learned long ago that if something doesn't seem right, Run. Listen to your gut.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

No sale at $190,000 + 10% buyer premium or $209,000. Not sure what seller is thinking-nice car but nose, past wreck/repair history, questionable paperwork, incorrect engine appearance (see valve covers) hurt its value a lot, in my opinion. This small venue compared to a day when both Mecum and Barret have much bigger auctions going on sucking away buyers was a poor choice in my opinion as well.

If he really wants to sell it, pay an inspector and disclose what he finds in order to regain the car's reputation, and sell it at a national auction.

triple_green

Its in the Daytona Registry:

XX29L9B400565   6   Wolverine Dodge   Jackson   MI   8/16/1969      E86   D21   XX29   L   9   B   400565   A4   A4
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

NASCAR-Daytona

Well, it is back up for auction again:

[https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0521/open-roads--may/lots/r0040-1969-dodge-charger-daytona/1093550][/url]

I am a new member and a previous owner of this car (as previously referred to by ODCICS2, who provided a couple of my pictures in another post.)

I will publish more about this car in the future.  ;)

held1823

from the current auction description

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

It was on display at Amelia Island last weekend.    Thanks to Martin Spetz for the photo.   

held1823

the 245k hammer price for this car shows you what a steal john's oe-gold car truly was
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on May 26, 2021, 11:58:40 AM
the 245k hammer price for this car shows you what a steal john's oe-gold car truly was
wow  at least they disclosed the fraudulent documentation and stamps

69_500

Most recent pictures sure make me think its a Gene Gregory nose cone from the 80's.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on May 30, 2021, 08:30:10 PM
Most recent pictures sure make me think its a Gene Gregory nose cone from the 80's.
very much agree