News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No politics... but seriously How long do you think we have left with these cars?

Started by 73chgrSE, January 30, 2021, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMike68

Quote,
You introduced Texas blackouts into the conversation.  You basically voiced the right/GOP spin on the situation.  It does not match the facts very well.

The article didn't defend anything right/GOP and either did I in fact it was more condemning the Governor for his poor
choices of accepting a ridiculous green energy program that failed. I have heat and it's really cold here.
Remember you're only entitled too your own opinions not your own facts.  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Davtona

Quote from: MoparMike68 on February 18, 2021, 04:15:13 PM
Quote,
You introduced Texas blackouts into the conversation.  You basically voiced the right/GOP spin on the situation.  It does not match the facts very well.

The article didn't defend anything right/GOP and either did I in fact it was more condemning the Governor for his poor
choices of accepting a ridiculous green energy program that failed. I have heat and it's really cold here.
Remember you're only entitled too your own opinions not your own facts.  :2thumbs:

Texas Governor has basically been caught lying about the wind turbines to cover his butt. His comments made national news last night. They basically called him out that the wind turbines only contribute 15% of Texas power and they are not responsible for Texas's current electric problem. Fox news is promoting the same lie. Truth is Texas utility grid was not built for such temperatures understandably so. I'm surrounded by wind turbines here and temps last weekend were -29ยบ over night. They never missed a beat. But times are a changing and the weather seems to be having more extremes. But yes you posted the first picture of a wind turbine in this thread that I have seen.   

MoparMike68

I like that “truth is” blah blah blah and Fox News is promoting the same lie but “WHAT IM SAYING IS FACT”  :lol:

This is no politics I’m trying to stay with the theme I didn’t realize a wind turbine was political, I’m talking energy
although it can be perceived as political that’s not my intention. I simply posted an article it just happened too be Fox News.

Davtona

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 18, 2021, 04:17:04 AM

The guy in the video made valiant efforts to calculate specs, but IMO he's working with too many assumptions to trust it.  

Ok I'm going back to the truck discussion now.   :cheers:

It's not so much trying too hard as it is starting with a blank sheet of paper. Its throwing everything away about today's trucks and asking why. A blank sheet of paper. Mirrors may come as they are the law in the US. Cameras were what was intended. And the reason for camera's I believe was aerodynamics which played a big part in the overall design of this truck.

On the battery weight think of grains of sand. The bigger the grains the more room there is between them. The video shows the size comparison of the old and new cells. Like AA compared to D cells as a example. Hence less weight?? Now the new 46 x 80 battery is 10MM taller than the old ones so how much of that is lost?? But new battery is supposed to be able to store 6X the power and improve range 16% over the old battery. So it requires less batteries to do same thing. September 22 battery day presentation goes into a lot more detail. Tesla has done a lot to improve their batteries over what they were.

Electric motor weight is out there somewhere as they have a lot of them in use. Just have to up size them by a % I suppose. I have no numbers or information on them however.

Yes he has a lot of assumptions and unknowns in his calculations. Not saying he is right at all. All this is speculation until Tesla announces the real known specs. But maybe gives us somewhat of an idea.

Stainless body I think is to do away with the rust problems. The stainless door and a F250 door were bashed with a plastic sledge during trucks roll out last year. Stainless door was un damaged. Ford door not so much. Would be interesting to hear what gage of stainless this is. Appears pretty tough. I don't think you will see small dents without a lot of impact force. They actually did a demo at the rollout and the stainless would stop a 9MM bullet. Crazy huh we need that??

I think the body is way stronger than many are giving it credit for. We are just to so accustomed to having a separate frame, body & box. 5200 lbs. does seem light to me also. I have no idea what the batteries weigh though.

Mike DC

QuoteIt's not so much trying too hard as it is starting with a blank sheet of paper. Its throwing everything away about today's trucks and asking why. A blank sheet of paper. Mirrors may come as they are the law in the US. Cameras were what was intended. And the reason for camera's I believe was aerodynamics which played a big part in the overall design of this truck.

Yeah, I wonder if the lack of mirrors will really make production or not.  

QuoteOn the battery weight think of grains of sand. The bigger the grains the more room there is between them. The video shows the size comparison of the old and new cells. Like AA compared to D cells as a example. Hence less weight?? Now the new 46 x 80 battery is 10MM taller than the old ones so how much of that is lost?? But new battery is supposed to be able to store 6X the power and improve range 16% over the old battery. So it requires less batteries to do same thing. September 22 battery day presentation goes into a lot more detail. Tesla has done a lot to improve their batteries over what they were.

That's my point though.  IIRC a box full of marbles has about the same ratio of marble volume to empty space volume, even if the marble size is changed.  It's one of those quirky facts in a physics textbook.  

I'm not rejecting Tesla's claim that the newer batteries are better.  That's a directly measurable stat.  I just don't think they explained it very well.      

QuoteElectric motor weight is out there somewhere as they have a lot of them in use. Just have to up size them by a % I suppose. I have no numbers or information on them however.

Yes he has a lot of assumptions and unknowns in his calculations. Not saying he is right at all. All this is speculation until Tesla announces the real known specs. But maybe gives us somewhat of an idea.  

Whatever it is, we'll find out at some point.  

QuoteStainless body I think is to do away with the rust problems. The stainless door and a F250 door were bashed with a plastic sledge during trucks roll out last year. Stainless door was un damaged. Ford door not so much. Would be interesting to hear what gage of stainless this is. Appears pretty tough. I don't think you will see small dents without a lot of impact force. They actually did a demo at the rollout and the stainless would stop a 9MM bullet. Crazy huh we need that??

I think the body is way stronger than many are giving it credit for. We are just to so accustomed to having a separate frame, body & box. 5200 lbs. does seem light to me also. I have no idea what the batteries weigh though.

Stainless is not stronger than mild steel per se.  That issue still boils down to the panel's thickness & alloy.  My guess is Tesla figured it looked cool + they could avoid the costs of exterior paint + rust resistance is a selling point.  

I wonder how much of the Tesla's whole unibody & battery structure is stainless.  We classic Mopar guys, of all people, are aware that rusting can go beyond a cosmetic exterior problem.

I'm surprised Tesla didn't use a bunch of aluminum panels to save weight.  The whole industry has been gradually switching to aluminum on the 'swing panels' (hood, doors, trunklid/gate).  Those panels are just along for the ride so long-term metal fatiguing is not a big issue.  

But whatever.  Aluminum swing panels would probably not save more than 200 lbs.  It takes a whole aluminum body to make a big dramatic difference.    

MoparMike68

Tesla price reduction, The Tesla model 3 is now a thousand dollars less at 36,990
244 miles per charge at 10 hours per charge  :scratchchin:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-lowers-model-3-and-y-price

Quoted from the first comment in the article,
I'm going to wait until the price is under $30k, the range is closer to 400 miles, and there are enough dc fast chargers to support the number of cars out there. I think I'll be waiting for a long time

375instroke

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 30, 2021, 12:43:14 PM
I hate those Trucks blowing all that Black Smoke in your Face. What I want to know is how are they going to dispose of all those Dead Junk 6 foot long 3 feet wide 500 pound Toxic Batteries? Just dig a big hole & Bury them? Like they do with Radioactive Chemicals? That will be a huge Enviromental Danger. :slap: :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Isn't it funny how conservatives suddenly become environmentalists, and concerned about pollution only when you bring up electric cars?