News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering shaft cross pin removal

Started by flyinlow, January 31, 2021, 10:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Have to shorten the steering shaft about 3/8" for a Borgenson box and coupler.The cross pin for the pot coupler is in the way. Any tricks for removing it?  '70 Charger PS

Kern Dog

You could remove the column and heat the end with a torch. I've used the small cannister torches for "hot wrench" work many times.
Heat it up, let it cool a bit and drive it out with a hammer and a punch.

Fitz73Chrgr

Hammer and punch, I just did this a few weeks ago.  It was in there really tight, but she eventually came.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

John_Kunkel

Depending on the year, some steering shafts are collapsible; many have already collapsed over the years and don't seem to affect the operation. If you're so inclined, just smack the end of the shaft to break the plastic buttons and push/pull the shaft to the desired length.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

Thanks

Pin out ,added a couple gussets and the new box is in.