News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chemical Stripping/E-coating ... cost?

Started by Rack, May 06, 2007, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

Probably won't do it, but I'm considering having my charger stripped and e-coated. Does anyone know how much it costs to get this done?

Thanks

69hemi

$1200.00 to dip and strip the shell, $1600.00 for the e-coat for the shell.  $50-$100 per panel (doo,r hood etc) to strip  $75-$125 per panel to e-coat

If you are keeping it money well spent!
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Rack

Quote from: 69hemi on May 08, 2007, 08:23:04 PM
$1200.00 to dip and strip the shell, $1600.00 for the e-coat for the shell.  $50-$100 per panel (doo,r hood etc) to strip  $75-$125 per panel to e-coat

If you are keeping it money well spent!

Thanks for the reply, 69hemi. That's actually right about where I expected it to be. So 4K (roughly) and probably another 2500 for me to have it shipped up and back. I'm keeping the car, but I'd have to save up a bit to get that done. No big deal except that I really want to get started on it now. I guess I could sand/blast suspension parts and start powder coating them while I'm saving money.  :icon_smile_big:

69hemi

The deal with the place i have them done is they first strip the car and give it back to you for you to do any metal repairs that are needed.  You then give it back to them and they re-dip it then send it off to the e-coaters for another bath and e-coat. 

So if you sand or blast there is still all kinds of nasty rust inside the frame rails, rockers and seams that will still be there when the car blasted.  The only reason I am a proponent of dipping is that it does get every where that blasting/sanding can't and the e-coat is a permanant coating everywhere also.

That being said it is not the cheapest option by far but it seems to be the best.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

Dodge Don

I had mine dipped. If you get a company that knows what they are doing it's the best way to go. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Rack

I definitely want to get it dipped, the only problem is there is  no one anywhere near me that does it. As far as I know the closest one is in Wisconsin. I'm in South Texas.  :o

Doright

I wanna do the dip thing too but what is E coating? and what must be done prior to painting it?
i.e. will it need a light sanding first?
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

69hemi

E-coating is a way of sealing and ensuring that no rust will form again.  When you dip a car the dip gets into everything and leaves bare metal.  If you don't coat the bare metal with something it will start rusting.  The car is dipped, cleaned and dipped into another tank with a primer solution, the car is given a negative charge and the coating is given a positive charge and the coating bonds electrically to the metal inside and out. You don't need to e-coat a car but it is the best way to go after dipping.  After you get the car back from e-coat just treat the e-coat as a primer base and rough it up a little then hit it with a coat of epoxy primer then do all you filling and then start laying on the high build primer and block it out.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

Doright

I was able too find acouple places in CA.  that offer the service but none here in NV. any one know of any shops offering dip and Ecoat in southern nevada or AZ.?
Doright
A&P FCC 

lilwendal

Anyone know of the closest facility to Florida?   I have a car I'd like to do that will be my keeper.

john108

Doright
Just for information, what companies did you find in California.  I live near Sacramento, CA

hemi-hampton

I have a Magazine Article from a few years back that had the car Chemicaly stripped in Florida, Don't remember name of place & would take weeks to find that article, But, Theres gotta be someone there in Florida doing it. LEON. :scratchchin:

MellowCharger

Just had my 68 dipped and e coated . Cost was arounnd 2000 sterling so that comes out at $4000. Nice to know we're not being stuffed in the UK for a change.

Definitely the way to go.
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr
67 Mustang 390GT Fastback

Doright

John108 I found this companey I live 70 miles north of Las Vegas and this place may be the closest place to me I have found. this place was featured in Hot Rod Magazine a while back I belive.

http://www.stripcleanco.com/

If any one has found a place closer to me I would apeciate the link or address.
Doright
A&P FCC 

john108

CFMopar

Sorry for the old thread bump But did you end up doing it Rack? Any issues?

Anyone here in Canada try this? I got a shop near be in Brampton Ontario Canada that dips. But can't seem to find anyone here that Ecoats.

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

CDN72SE

Quote from: CFMopar on February 10, 2021, 08:17:14 AM
Sorry for the old thread bump But did you end up doing it Rack? Any issues?

Anyone here in Canada try this? I got a shop near be in Brampton Ontario Canada that dips. But can't seem to find anyone here that Ecoats.

That must be Techno Strip, had my '72 fenders done there. Was thinking about e-coat myself but never did it.
1972 Charger SE

CFMopar

Yeah I spoke to them and they only strip no coating. Things like fenders I'm not concerned with. as they're easy enough to coat. My concern with a shell though is all those places you can't easily coat afterwards. I spoke to a number of places about E-Coating and I've been told their is no one in Ontario with a tank big enough to e coat a car shell.

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g