News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dr. Diff stage 3 brakes

Started by flyinlow, February 18, 2021, 12:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Anyone running Dr. Diff stage 3 front brakes?  (13 inch rotors, Cobra calipers I think)

How much improvement over stock disks?

Kern Dog

Just using basic, common sense.....The advantage of bigger rotors is the ability to make reliable, repeated stops with confidence. Bigger rotors with larger calipers allow the above AND the ability to stop quicker.

flyinlow

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 18, 2021, 04:05:27 AM
Just using basic, common sense.....The advantage of bigger rotors is the ability to make reliable, repeated stops with confidence. Bigger rotors with larger calipers allow the above AND the ability to stop quicker.

The 13 inch rotor is about 10% larger than my current 11.75 rotors. That is an improvement. How does the clamping force of the caliper compare? The stock single piston  caliper has a large piston surface areas wise.

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: flyinlow on February 18, 2021, 09:06:08 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on February 18, 2021, 04:05:27 AM

The 13 inch rotor is about 10% larger than my current 11.75 rotors. That is an improvement. How does the clamping force of the caliper compare? The stock single piston  caliper has a large piston surface areas wise.

I would venture to assume that the small improvement is not worth the money and effort if you are just driving on the street.  If you are doing autocross, perhaps it is worth it.  If you were upgrading from drums, it would be worth it.

I'm sure someone else will disagree though.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

flyinlow

I guess  that's why I am asking for reviews. The larger rotors are usually better .More leverage on the wheel and more heat sink. The stock Mopar caliper has more square inchs of piston area than the cobra caliper does , so should clamp harder. Pad friction choices are a weak spot for the stock caliper ( I use Hawk HPS pads) the Cobra caliper though mathematical weaker clamping force has a wide range of pads available and may end up performing better.

HPP

Better braking is not necessarily about more clamping force but about pad compound and leverage. 13" gives more leverage than 11.75" much like a longer breaker bar gives more force to break loose a stubborn nut than a standard length ratchet.

Pad compound will determine the best temp range of operation based on use. Autocross hardly puts any heat in a brake pad so street pads may work fine  in this case. High speed road course will put extreme amounts of heat in the system and will require a much higher temp compound that will actually not work well at lower temps like street driving.

b5blue

While slotted and hole drilled it looks like they are not "Vented" like Mopar. I don't like separate hub much less aluminum. 50 years of known history factory design. Just my  :Twocents: but I think factory type better.  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

My experience is this is a want vs need upgrade. Stock discs are more then adequate unless you are road racing where constant brake applications under speed causes excessive heat buildup. In 90% of street car chargers your 235 front tires will never grip half the capability of those brakes.

John_Kunkel

A little off topic but I recently did a brake upgrade on my daily driver '08 Magnum RT, I used brakes from a '15 Charger Pursuit. The difference in pedal feel and normal braking is dramatic; so it's not just about road racing or high-speed braking.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Fitz73Chrgr

If you are considering this, look at InvincibleExtreme's brackets:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122780.0.html

You'll have to gather your own parts and make a few brake lines, but it can be done for cheaper than the Dr. Diff kit. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541