News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Resto Mod on 14' 12k Challenger Chassis 5.7L Hemi Auto ProTouring

Started by cobramike33, February 20, 2021, 06:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobramike33

35K OBO. I am posting this ad through various channels that may require a price and phone number. This project is titled in my name with a clear/clean Florida title. Mike 850-261-2471. It is presently listed to ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294024703020

Car: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192214387@N07/albums/72157718365778941
Parts: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192214387@N07/albums/72157718365786256
Build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192214387@N07/albums/72157718368644368
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7gxZ-8e-U&t=1038s

For sale is my 1969 Dodge Charger. This listing includes a lengthy description, photo albums and a narrated video to explain where this project is at and where I was going with it. I purchased this car when I was a kid in the 1990s, sold it and later was able find and repurchase it in 2016. Kind of a cool story to say I repurchased my first car. When I bought it, it was needing rust repair in all the typical areas and decided to follow the path of some other custom builders and wanted to do a body-over on a newer Mopar. Not that it matters much now, I still have the numbers matching dash/LH quarter drip rail/top core support.

The donor is a 2014 Challenger 5.7L R/T redline w/ 12K miles. I patiently waited for an affordable donor that had good miles and was optioned out with paddle shifters & nav. I was not out to build a drag car, just wanted something I could cruise in. The 69' dash VIN & title match, this is still a true 1969 Charger and includes a Florida title (VIN#XP29F9B344659). As I disassembled the 14' Challenger I tried to label as much as the wires and save most if not all hardware I removed. Any module, radio, temp control, seatbelt etc..I saved. There is an attic full of Challenger interior/electronics included and thankfully the connections are unique so there is not a lot of guess work. The 14' dash was scuffed up, so I let it sit outside, but a candidate for this finished product.
The 14' donor needed the LH floor pan replaced from the accident and presently the LF seat needs the side bag area stitched and seat track replaced. The 69' body had some rust repair to the A pillars, outside rocker and still needs some minor where the quarter/roof lines meet from a previous vinyl top. The inner quarter structure, inner roof and inner pillars were repaired, sanded, rust converter used then satin black chassis saver was put on top. Also used chassis saver on the inside roof structure.

Most sheet metal replacement parts are AMD and most had to be modified for this conversion. New parts replaced  include AMD front fenders, AMD hood (in box), AMD rear valance/corner patches, AMD full quarters, AMD deck filler, AMD trunk gutters. The rear bumper is a new chrome Goodmark and includes two used rear bumpers included in case you want to experiment with a custom recess. Recently ordered from Classic Industries a 69' LED conversion taillight kit, new marker light lens, front & rear valance lens kits, various gaskets, and new fuel cap w/ lock.

Also includes 2x used front lower valances, used front bumper, used loaded 69' Charger grill & header panel, original upper and lower wiper cowl, original trunk lid and original taillights. Includes a new windshield, original door glass/vent windows, quarter windows and backglass. I believe I have most of the stainless steel trim.

Also includes the original hood, original fenders, original pieces of quarters and pieces of the front radiator support / aprons. Most of these parts are not useable due to test fitting and previous rust, but kept until the project would be finished. The original 69' suspension, floors, axle, wheels are all gone. I saved the original gas tank in case I wanted to make a fake one under the 14' body. There are some 69' interior pieces included like the original dash, steering column, floor shifter, black vinyl backseat, green console, black door panels/quarter trims, visors and various this and thats. The red seats are gone. Includes an extra RH red door, but I think the original is useable.

The good news is the major parts of the project are done with welding the rockers and a pillars between the two bodies. The rear of the car is fairly completed. The wheel wells are welded in and multi-piece floor pan is welded in to connect the two bodies are in place. The underside of the car has welds needing to be grinded down, but I was going to wait until I got it on a lift. This project includes just about all the major components to get it completed and driving down the road.

Buying someone else's project car is intimidating. This car still runs and I have occasionally driven it in my neighborhood just to feel the wind in my hair. In this listing there are 180+ photos of the car's progress as well as a lengthy video that I will explain what I was doing and the paths that I was taking. The most time-consuming part of the build was mocking the shell over the Challenger and loosely mounting all the panels to make sure the gaps were close. There are still major projects to be done like the fuel filler tube, wiper cowl, front sheet metal mounting and finishing the doors.

I have battled this decision for months and have ultimately decided this is the best decision for my family since starting it five years ago. My father was recently diagnosed with ALS around the same age his mother was. The disease progressed quickly with her and ultimately took her life a short time later. It looks to be doing the same with my father. Unfortunately, this disease has a high probability of being passed within our family and my focus on life has shifted. If it does not bring a reasonable amount now, I will hold on to it and pass it through the family.