News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Linkage Issues

Started by BlueSS454, February 22, 2021, 10:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

I've been trying to read and figure out what is going on but keep coming up empty handed with no solutions.

Here is the   parts list first...

Pitman arm - pro forged 103-10030
Outer tie rods - Moog ES319R
Inner tie rods - Moog ES319L
Idler - Moog K7041
Drag link - oem 1858015
Steering Box - Borgeson 1 1/8 sector
K member - QA1

The problem, with the steering box centered in travel, the Drag link is offset to the right (passenger side) an inch. There is only adjustment in the left (driver side) tie rods to correct toe in. I called Borgeson, they said to look into pitman arms. Yes, the drag link is installed correctly. I know others have run into this problem before but I don't see anyone that figures out what is wrong and how to correct it so I'm making a new post    For full disclosure, the car was in a collision that trashed the original Drag link and pitman arm but was put on a frame rack and pulled back into spec. I guess what I'm looking for here is info on pitman arms and what may work. The Pro Forged one is keyed so it can really only go on one way or in 90 degree increments which isn't going to do anything. I'd appreciate any help.  I'm kind of at a loss here.
Tom Rightler

Hammer759

Looking at your list of parts and also the previous frame damage you may have parts that don't play well together.  My experience has been very frustrating and generally speaking the manufacturer has no hands on experience with anything, let alone dialing in a complete front suspension and steering setup.  I now stay with as much "factory" parts as possible and the parts play nice .

Just my opinion and that's all. 

DownZero

Are those tie rod sleeves the same length?

BlueSS454

Yes, the sleeves are the same length.  I think what I'm going to end up doing is grinding a spline off the pitman shaft on the box so I can reclock the arm.  I can't find any other pitman arm that isn't unkeyed so to speak. 
Tom Rightler

green69rt

Don't know if this will help but the whole steering linkage is keyed together.  From the steering wheel to the box.  Get one wrong and you'll never figure out how to fix it.  Got an FSM?  it shows how to line everything up. Nice grill.

BlueSS454

It's not a factory setup. I'm using a u joint coupler from Borgeson so the column can be colckednto the center of the box.
I ended up taking the pitman arm and cutting additional grooves in the larger keyways so I could clock the pitman arm. That fixed it.
Tom Rightler