News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt Charger Sound

Started by JMF, February 25, 2021, 03:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone know if the sound for the Charger used in Bullitt was from the actual car or dubbed from something else ?

I know for the mustang legend has it that they dubbed in the sound from a GT-40 race car although I'm not convinced as any GT-40 I've heard doesn't sound like the Mustang in Bullitt

Mike DC

The Bullitt chase used Arriflex cameras.  Those are small & lightweight because they don't have soundproofing around the mechanical parts.  That means they are noisy and it's not practical to record audio with them.  So you can pretty much assume that the action shots did not have their "real" sound in the final cut.  It was pieced together by a sound editor.  

Did they take sound recordings from the Charger?  I don't know.  But this is the same chase where the Charger loses at least 6 hubcaps.  In those days they didn't expect anyone to be scrutinizing their footage on a home video player.  They didn't sweat details. 

Challenger340

Quote from: JMF on February 25, 2021, 03:35:13 PM
Anyone know if the sound for the Charger used in Bullitt was from the actual car or dubbed from something else ?

I know for the mustang legend has it that they dubbed in the sound from a GT-40 race car although I'm not convinced as any GT-40 I've heard doesn't sound like the Mustang in Bullitt

I believe it to be an authentic recording of the Charger.... 'dubbed' in later or not I have no idea ?
but IMO,
definitely a 440 Magnum with the unsilenced Air Cleaner.....
because....
well......  
my '69 R/T Charger survivor still has all it's original factory Exhaust/un-rebuilt Engine, etc., etc...... and guess what ?
it sounds just like the Charger in the movie when romped on?... more like a 'roar' really.
Only wimps wear Bowties !