News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those selling on Ebay better "pay" attention

Started by jayco91, February 27, 2021, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayco91

So like a lot of you I am an an ebay whore and and an avid car guy. Mopars mostly. Presently own a 1970 Challenger SE factory 383 4 lbb but non RT car. Has a lot of options. Had a nice 69 Charger for a while but sold it in 2010  :brickwall:. I then bought the challenger, thought I wanted an E body. Never again. In my opinion the fit and finish is just cheap on an E body not to mention parts for 70 are sometimes 1 year only. Presently just got back into the Charger ownership by purchasing a 1970 Charger RT factory FE5 with black vinyl top. factory super track pac car. Owned at one time by Tony D from Tonys mopar parts in Delaware.  Same color combo as my 69 basically. Odd enough bought it from the same guy that I sold my 69 to 11 years ago. Cant wait to get started. Anyway I buy and sell on Ebay and have gotten notifications about linking  my bank account to Ebay as by the end of March paypal will no longer be used by Ebay to collect money. I did some digging and it is  not a scam. So I linked my checking account to Ebay, simple enough. Sold a couple of items totaling $125. Decided to check with my bank account to make sure the money was deposited. It was alright. Total deposit was $107.88 WTH. So I decided this morning to contact Ebay at 8:00am EST which is 5:00am there time when they are open. Got on a chat line and sure enough with the new system there is an 10% fee/commission on all sales, then another 2.35% for handling fees and another $.30 charge but by then I had enough. Get this these fees are on the total sales amount including the tax. Example my one item sold for $50. The amount the customer paid was $54.25 I believe. I paid 12.35% on that total, money that I did not even get!  :flame: Bottom line I got $47 dollar for I $50 item.  I may be done with selling. Last line I posted was "be careful of the foot you are shooting it may be your own". Sorry for the long post. Buy the way anyone got a 70 Charger parts they are selling?

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

I have only bought, never sold on eBay and it's gotten useless in the last few years.  :shruggy:

AKcharger

I use facebook market place and give away parts...it;s just not worth the $6.12 profit I make

Kern Dog

Ten percent skim on sales? Fuck that!  :flame:
I've sold cars on ebay since 2005. I usually paid under $80 at the most for cars that sell for up to $8000.

Aero426

Before Managed Payments,   with the old system Ebay still took their 10% and Pay Pal took their 2.9% + .30 cents.     So on your $54.25  item you would pay $5.42 to Ebay + $1.87  to Pay Pal.   Your net would be, drum roll please...   $46.96   So for your example, it's about a wash.     Yes, they have you by the short hairs.   They always have.

The main difference is that Ebay is now collecting the payment commission and is squeezing Pay Pal out.     At one point Ebay owned Pay Pal.  But not now.

If there is a plus, you no longer have a monthly invoice to pay Ebay at the end of the month.   

Kern Dog

The fees for selling cars is nowhere near what the OP lists for parts sales. It is about the same as I have paid before.

jayco91

Quote from: Aero426 on March 03, 2021, 12:00:25 AM
Before Managed Payments,   with the old system Ebay still took their 10% and Pay Pal took their 2.9% + .30 cents.     So on your $54.25  item you would pay $5.42 to Ebay + $1.87  to Pay Pal.   Your net would be, drum roll please...   $46.96   So for your example, it's about a wash.     Yes, they have you by the short hairs.   They always have.

The main difference is that Ebay is now collecting the payment commission and is squeezing Pay Pal out.     At one point Ebay owned Pay Pal.  But not now.

If there is a plus, you no longer have a monthly invoice to pay Ebay at the end of the month.   

That was going to be my next question to the guy but I got so pissed I forgot to ask.

JimShine

Quote from: Aero426 on March 03, 2021, 12:00:25 AM
Before Managed Payments,   with the old system Ebay still took their 10% and Pay Pal took their 2.9% + .30 cents.     So on your $54.25  item you would pay $5.42 to Ebay + $1.87  to Pay Pal.   Your net would be, drum roll please...   $46.96   So for your example, it's about a wash.     Yes, they have you by the short hairs.   They always have.

The main difference is that Ebay is now collecting the payment commission and is squeezing Pay Pal out.     At one point Ebay owned Pay Pal.  But not now.

Exactly. I actually prefer the new arrangement. It isn't good for "instant cash" sales..I am always working one week out, have my payouts sent on Tuesdays. Paying the fees upon sale. Having shipping money coming out of pending balance, it is all so much smoother now. '

I am going to add one more huge bonus to this arrangement few realize until it is too late. PayPal instituted a policy a while back where buyers have 180 days to file for a refund. This is NOT something you can override by placing your own policies in the listing. Just signing in and using Paypal agrees to their 180 refund policy. eBay's managed payments is 30 days. Sellers can send refunds by choice up to 90 days. A very common issue that started happening after PayPal offered the 180 refund window was people would need cash, and open an item not as described case months into owning it, and sellers had to accept the refund. Paypal never rules against the buyer in a item not as described complaint.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: b5blue on February 27, 2021, 08:05:14 PM
I have only bought, never sold on eBay and it's gotten useless in the last few years.  :shruggy:

Exactly...    most things for sale on ebay now-a-days are big sellers who list their parts on there...     Summit, Jegs, etc all list on there...   the days of the individual selling parts on there are gone.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

b5blue

I filtered for USA only and when my PayPal was charged international fees for a purchase complained. Ebay and seller refused my return so eBay's guarantee is worthless. (Use at your own peril.)  Amazon is pretty amazing and I don't even have Prime. So yea even for buyers on eBay, use care your at risk.