News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ElectricL cuts out

Started by Calif240, February 27, 2021, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

So when I first start my car, the very first key turn sometimes goes "click" and it sounds like my starter relay clicks off. The electrical cuts out, and I have to pull the battery cable and reconnect. As soon as I reconnect, it either clicks off again nice I turn the key, or it fires right on up.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've replaced the ignition relay, I don't get any fuses blown, or otherwise. Just 50/50 car will start right up, or click off, in which case I simply "reset" positive battery cable, and it is another 50/50.

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

Thanks, Terry
1969 Charger
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Check the terminal connections at the ignition switch itself.   Also the connections at all the bulkhead connectors....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Have you a repop positive battery cable? If so the post end wire may be loose in the crimp. This drove me nuts for so long till I found it.

DownZero

First thing to check on ANY electrical issue is grounds.

Calif240

Grounds are all good, and connections are solid. Car runs fine and no other electrical issue... it almost acts as if something inline with ignition/starter circuit "shorts". Weird thing is that the rest of electrical shuts off, so I also wonder if it could be in the ignition cylinder where key goes... (?)
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

DownZero

Starter relay may be sticking. Cheap and easy replacement to test.

John_Kunkel

You need to determine if the click you hear is the starter relay or the starter solenoid. By simply touching the relay when the key is turned to start, you'll feel the relay click. From there a meter or test light will be needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.