News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlights not working after messing with adjuster screws and headlight doors

Started by BrokenHero, March 05, 2021, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenHero

Hey there -
I put the arrow emblem on my 68's headlight door so I had the headlight door partially off. I also began to take off one headlight to make more room to work. the inside one, by taking off the lower right adjuster screw. I also loosened the lower left adjuster screw, near the spring, but didn't remove this screw. The headlight proved too tricky to take off so I stopped there.

Now that everything is back together, none of the four headlights work. The switch on the console flips up the doors, but none of the lights work. They worked before I opened everything up.

Any idea what I messed up and how I can fix it? Fuse? Wiring came loose?

Thanks!
Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Do your tail lights work ?

Is there a ground wire at the front wiring harness you might have knocked off ? ( just in front of the battery on the head light side of the grill I believe )
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

BrokenHero

Thanks, Sublime.

I'm not sure if I knocked off a ground wire - is it visible in either of these pics?

There is some yellow plastic coated wire holding parts of the grill together - not sure if that had any grounding function, but I'm guessing no? It's in the first pic.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Your first picture and the top wire that goes up to the top of the rad cross member was the wire I was thinking of but it seems to look OK

Do your tail lights work ?

BrokenHero

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

No I mean the tail lights
The lights that come on when the head light switch is flipped on
Just to be sure you have power in the system and not just the head lights them selves not working

70 sublime

Right beside the battery there is a join in the wiring harness that goes to the head lights
Make sure that connection is together also and you did not pull it apart

Looking at your pictures again I see you have the relays installed for the head lights
Did you try high beam and low beam ??

BrokenHero

Thanks! So the taillights work and the high beams work. (All four headlights).
So that's interesting. When I turn off the brights/high beams, I get nothing.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Check your wires on the relays
Sounds like the ones for low beam could be loose  :yesnod:

BrokenHero

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

Do you know if that relay is visible in my photo? Sorry, I know nothing about wiring and relays. Appreciate it!
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Quote from: BrokenHero on March 05, 2021, 10:46:44 PM
Do you know if that relay is visible in my photo? Sorry, I know nothing about wiring and relays. Appreciate it!

Yep in your second picture where you can see the battery

It is not factory but it is an upgrade that can be done to help to keep so much power from going through the dash harness

There are two relays ( little black box) on the rad support
One should be for low beam and one should be for high beam
Check the wires and see if any are loose or the wire coming from the battery to the relay

BrokenHero

Okay great, thanks! Much appreciated.
I'll let everyone know if I get it working.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

I didn't see any loose wires, so I'm still wondering what's wrong. I suppose it's possible my Lowbeams haven't worked since the relays were put in by the shop that rebuilt my engine.

Here's a video as a last ditch effort, just in case anything jumps out at anyone. Might have to take it to someone.

Thanks for the help

https://youtu.be/7PFeQZ1-BWo

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

70 sublime

Do you know the low beam was working before ??

You could always unplug the wires off the relays and switch them between the two and plug them back in to rule out one relay going bad if you plug them in and still only high beam works ?

Before you try that just unplug one relay then try the lights then you will know which relay is working as in lights come on with one unplugged then that relay plugged in is high beam