News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

915's

Started by 73-charger-383, March 05, 2021, 06:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

I've got a set of 915 heads that I'm planning on swapping onto my 383.  I'm debating trying to port them with the old mopar performance templates.  I've never ported a set before, so I'm wondering how easy it is to port using those templates as I really don't want to screw up a one year only head.

Canadian1968

If you have the templates i say go for it.  I did a home port job on my 906s when I rebuilt my motor . I did a lot of reading and looked  at a lot pictures and then just went for it. The car runs very strong for what is , so I must not have done something right ! 

The templatest are a basic bowl port job.  If your goin to do it , I strongly suggest port match for the intake as well !

Challenger340

915's ?
just do this.... and that wee-83 will zing right past 8,000 rpm and keep on going !

Just funn'in with you.... but you get an idea what can/and was be done with the 915's back in the day.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

gsmopar

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 17, 2021, 09:49:35 AM
915's ?
just do this.... and that wee-83 will zing right past 8,000 rpm and keep on going !

Just funn'in with you.... but you get an idea what can/and was be done with the 915's back in the day.

I don't think those are closed chamber heads???

Challenger340

Quote from: gsmopar on March 17, 2021, 11:27:11 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 17, 2021, 09:49:35 AM
915's ?

I don't think those are closed chamber heads???

uhhhhh yeah..... that is a closed chamber 915 head

gsmopar

Discoloration made it look like an open chamber.  My mistake.  I had to zoom in.  I ran a heavily ported set of 915's for years.  The car picked up with an OOTB set of performers.

73-charger-383

Looks good...I'll start in this weekend!  Thanks for the replies!

Challenger340

Quote from: gsmopar on March 18, 2021, 01:08:29 PM
Discoloration made it look like an open chamber.  My mistake.  I had to zoom in.  I ran a heavily ported set of 915's for years.  The car picked up with an OOTB set of performers.

Then IMO.... whoever 'heavily ported' your 915's they didn't respond very well ?
because,
the 915 Heads in the Photo.... still to this day because I can stick them back up on the Flow Bench tomorrow .... are at least 50 hp better(25+ cfm) than any Edelbrock Performer rpm Head we have ever Flowed here OOTB ? and we see the Eddy rpm's all the time !

The Heads in the Photo made 600+ hp on a 451 Engine using a Solid Flat Tappet Cam... 901 SuperFlow Dyno circa mid 1990's... good for 9's in a 3,000+ lb Car at the time.

gsmopar

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 19, 2021, 10:00:19 AM

Then IMO.... whoever 'heavily ported' your 915's they didn't respond very well ?
because,
the 915 Heads in the Photo.... still to this day because I can stick them back up on the Flow Bench tomorrow .... are at least 50 hp better(25+ cfm) than any Edelbrock Performer rpm Head we have ever Flowed here OOTB ? and we see the Eddy rpm's all the time !

The Heads in the Photo made 600+ hp on a 451 Engine using a Solid Flat Tappet Cam... 901 SuperFlow Dyno circa mid 1990's... good for 9's in a 3,000+ lb Car at the time.

Experience head porters can get ~270 on the intake with a 2.14.  I've heard that some old school experts can get 300+, but very few are willing to pay for that much labor.  There are plenty of OOTB options that will put you money ahead with more HP than those old 915's. 

Challenger340

Quote from: gsmopar on March 21, 2021, 09:51:24 PM

because,

Experience head porters can get ~270 on the intake with a 2.14.  I've heard that some old school experts can get 300+, but very few are willing to pay for that much labor.  There are plenty of OOTB options that will put you money ahead with more HP than those old 915's. 

I would agree that there is absolutely NO financial case to invest $ rebuilding and then Port substantially a set of 915's today...other than very mildly under a DIY regime as intended by the OP.

My photo was merely highlight what was years with 915's decades ago, and answer to a comparison to an Eddy rpm OOTB,
which,
and for the record, the Eddy RPM's are only 265'ish cfm OOTB on our Bench and most other's who have tested(nowhere near the claimed "291" @ .600 they get)..... compared with 290's cfm for the Ported 915's illustrated in the Pic on our Bench.

BSB67

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 24, 2021, 08:53:28 AM
Quote from: gsmopar on March 21, 2021, 09:51:24 PM
Discoloration made it look like an open chamber.  My mistake.  I had to zoom in.  I ran a heavily ported set of 915's for years.  The car picked up with an OOTB set of performers.

because,

Experience head porters can get ~270 on the intake with a 2.14.  I've heard that some old school experts can get 300+, but very few are willing to pay for that much labor.  There are plenty of OOTB options that will put you money ahead with more HP than those old 915's.  

I would agree that there is absolutely NO financial case to invest $ rebuilding and then Port substantially a set of 915's today...other than very mildly under a DIY regime as intended by the OP.

My photo was merely highlight what was years with 915's decades ago, and answer to a comparison to an Eddy rpm OOTB,
which,
and for the record, the Eddy RPM's are only 265'ish cfm OOTB on our Bench and most other's who have tested(nowhere near the claimed "291" @ .600 they get)..... compared with 290's cfm for the Ported 915's illustrated in the Pic on our Bench.

But Bob, to your point, if the 915 were "heavily ported" presuming they were done correctly, the OOTB Performer RPM would not have out performed them.  

Is it logical to spend that kind of money today on a set of iron heads? Probably not. But to say a set of well ported iron heads won't match OOTB Eddy Performer's is incorrect.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

gsmopar

My 915's were 2.14/1.81, exhaust floor raised, done by a professional back before we had a lot of head options (1992).  My car was in the 11's at that time and if I remember right the Eddy Performers picked up a couple MPH.  Water under the bridge at this point.  Should the OP spend time and money on those old heads?  Doesn't sound like they are a pro with some secret sauce to make them flow.  The $$$ to go with bigger valves and good valve job are likely 1/2 if not more of the price of a good aftermarket head.

c00nhunterjoe

You should spend money on irons today when the class you are in dictates it.

Challenger340

But Bob, to your point, if the 915 were "heavily ported" presuming they were done correctly, the OOTB Performer RPM would not have out performed them.  

Is it logical to spend that kind of money today on a set of iron heads? Probably not. But to say a set of well ported iron heads won't match OOTB Eddy Performer's is incorrect.

I agree and that was my point..... presuming the "heavily ported" (915's) were done correctly, the OOTB Eddy's would NOT have outperformed the 915's.

And regarding the 915's I posted in the Pic ?
they are as good/better than most all well ported EDDY rpm's we've ever done, and we've done lots !

Back in the day we'd even take the 915's out to Max Wedge port size, remove the pushrod pinch and epoxy the walls straight, then re-drill the Rocker Arm Adjuster over further to accommodate.
I think I've still got one of those kick'in around on the floor here somewhere as well ?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 30, 2021, 09:51:49 AM

I agree and that was my point..... presuming the "heavily ported" (915's) were done correctly, the OOTB Eddy's would NOT have outperformed the 915's.

they are as good/better than most all well ported EDDY rpm's we've ever done, and we've done lots !

Back in the day we'd even take the 915's out to Max Wedge port size, remove the pushrod pinch and epoxy the walls straight, then re-drill the Rocker Arm Adjuster over further to accommodate.
I think I've still got one of those kick'in around on the floor here somewhere as well ?

I would LOVE to see those and some flow numbers.

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 30, 2021, 07:52:49 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 30, 2021, 09:51:49 AM

I would LOVE to see those and some flow numbers.

Yeah if I can arrange a 'play' day I'd be curious to test those old Max effort Cast Iron 915's  against one of our best Eddy's I have here as well ? just for shits & giggles as we only got this new SF750 Flow Bench in 2015.

And me bad.... I poked a hole in the roof/V/Spring seat pocket of an Eddy we were doing a Max effort on a few years back ? and had to re-order another casting for the Customer.... just say'in.... I have a MAX'd out Eddy for testing as well.

I mean pictures would be mandatory as well so everyone can witness the extent of work done on both.

stay tuned....

c00nhunterjoe

Any updates? Im drooling for photos and flow