News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Springtime in the Rockies

Started by lloyd3, March 08, 2021, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

My car doing what these cars do best.....

Gas is now $3.53 for premium (about $1 more than last summer). Oh well, I guess elections do have consequences. It was 72 degrees Fahrenheit here today (and yesterday was pretty nice as well). Got up this morning with hope for an opportunity to drag off the cover and see how things fared over the dark winter months. By 4 this afternoon I got my chance. Battery was a bit low (no tender) and I dribbled a few glugs of gas into the 4428s AVS first, but it caught on maybe the second turn and settled into a nice even idle. Smoked a wee-bit on startup (valve guides?) and then it was fine. Oil pressure was showing almost 60 lbs. The steering box is still leaking, as evidenced by the dust-mote and leaf-filled puddle of fluid under the car (another Summer 2021 project to do). I had been concerned that the hallowed spot the car occupies in the garage had been violated a bit by my son (and others) by using the covered car as temporary storage. He's building slot cars on my bench and that project has sprawled everywhere. We also use a 2nd refrigerator in the garage to stock up on foodstuffs that have tended to be sporadically unavailable at the local grocery store (yet another COVID issue). When food gets hauled in, it sometimes resides on the thankfully well-covered car before final placement into the icebox (even I am guilty of that one at times). Worries me a bit but...there you have it.  The good news is that everything looked and ran exceptionally good. Had to order an air filter at the local NAPA (not in stock, nothing is anymore) as the current one is looking a bit tatty. Wish all my other now-older (and slightly-heapy) cars ran as good as this one does.  This set of dual-points has to be at least 12-years old(!). All it needs now is a bath.

Winter clearly isn't over yet, but these little breaks make it far-easier to tolerate the next six-weeks or so of mixed-weather before Spring begins in earnest here.  

Kern Dog

It is always nice to see pictures of your car, Lloyd!   :2thumbs:

lloyd3

Thanks Kern Dog! Appreciate it.

Mike DC

Your car wears that color combo so well.  It just looks great all around.   :2thumbs:

lloyd3

Thanks Mike. A little freezing rain last night and evidently a much bigger storm headed our way by Friday so....good thing I took advantage of the nice weather while it lasted. Back under the cover today and back to biding my time here.

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

jefferson

Awesome 68 as I've said before
Great to see them still out and being enjoyed
I try to drive mine once a week !

TexasStroker

Very nice...glad you got it out before this weekend!  I think the PS was designed to leak, lol.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

You folks are truly gracious.

What a difference a few days makes. This is mid-storm, according to the prognosticators. Another six inches to a foot still to come yet.  Need to go out and fire-up the big Husqvarna snow-blower and shake a few trees shortly. Evidently, it's much worse north and west of us. Winter here has been pretty mild up to this point and really...we needed the moisture. Nothing like getting it all at once.

Kern Dog

I would never live where it snows like that. I don't understand those that choose to do so!
It looks beautiful but since I love to do things outdoors, the cold would keep me indoors.

lloyd3

Kern Dog: I shouldn't say this but....this is, really, the first serious storm we've had all this winter (and for many years prior). If it was like this all winter long then the front range of Colorado wouldn't nearly be so-crowded now. I own several 4X4 vehicles but usually drive a Honda Civic all year long. If my driveway wasn't so steep (and I didn't hunt & fish so-much) I'd barely need them. I also grew up in colder climates and probably tolerate winter better than many, so winter here seems pretty insignificant. I also really like the seasons and would miss them in a more-southern climate but....I get it. When retirement finally arrives here (and we become empty-nesters) I can see a snow-bird existence in our future someday, just to avoid the time lost to bad weather.

Kern Dog

I wish that I were more tolerant of the weather. I love the look of the snow. I think that trees and hills with a dusting of snow looks gorgeous. I just shut down when it gets that cold. It isn't physical. It is entirely mental. I can dress for it but then I feel encumbered by thick clothes and feel like I can't move freely.
There are other things I wish I could change.
I wish that I liked beer. Those that like it sure seem to have a good time with it.
I wish that I liked seafood. The smell of it makes me gag and I have to walk away.  :eek2:
Property in areas that get snow is usually a LOT cheaper. I could have 50 acres and a bigger house for the same money that I paid here in California.
Is there a procedure I can get that could make me more tolerant of the weather?   :hah:

lloyd3

KD: This is me elk hunting a few years ago, about 10-miles off any real road. Just me and a trusted hunting buddy (with his 4x4 as well). It was cold and lonely but....beautiful! Privacy and freedom (at least the illusion of freedom).

My father-in-laws place up in Northern Minnesota. In the Fall we chase ruffed grouse up there and catch too-many walleyes. More privacy and, again....the illusion of freedom. 

On a trout stream in Northern New Mexico. Again....more privacy and freedom.  I've been doing stuff like this since I was just a kid and it suits me. Not exactly sure why, it just does. From what I've seen of California, it has lots of options and also lots of beautiful places. I can only hope that you've found your place there in California to be as satisfying for you as these backwoods places are for me.

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

If Government were more like a spare tire instead of a catalytic converter, it would be much better.....THERE when you need it and not slowing you down all the time!
I have mentioned before about moving away to a Red state like Texas or Tennessee. Without getting political, I like the thought of lower taxes and less government involvement in my life. Property values are lower and much cheaper when you don't have big government to pay for. 
You mention the illusion of freedom...It may be a bit cynical to think that way but you may be right. I don't like to think that we are being controlled. The further you are away from a city, the less likely you'll have to deal with government.
I love the look of a wide open field, a snow capped or greet tree covered mountain, a desolate desert with cliffs and cactus, a 2 lane road disappearing to the horizon and of course, snow covered trees. You don't get that in a city.
Now that I converted my car to the Tremec 5 speed, it is SO much more fun to drive fast. It is smoother and quieter like a newer car. I look forward to road trips to places like I mentioned...except the snow. These tires are NOT meant for that!

lloyd3

Those are definitely not snow tires. Rolling down the road in our cars is also a freedom, of-sorts. Clearly, there isn't a computer tracking our every move (even though our cell phones already are).

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 14, 2021, 09:15:54 PM
I wish that I were more tolerant of the weather. I love the look of the snow. I think that trees and hills with a dusting of snow looks gorgeous. I just shut down when it gets that cold. It isn't physical. It is entirely mental. I can dress for it but then I feel encumbered by thick clothes and feel like I can't move freely.
There are other things I wish I could change.
I wish that I liked beer. Those that like it sure seem to have a good time with it.
I wish that I liked seafood. The smell of it makes me gag and I have to walk away.  :eek2:
Property in areas that get snow is usually a LOT cheaper. I could have 50 acres and a bigger house for the same money that I paid here in California.
Is there a procedure I can get that could make me more tolerant of the weather?   :hah:

Appropriate clothing

Kern Dog

I was joking.....while alluding to a lobotomy or other mind controlling procedure.

lloyd3

Remember when we still drove them in winter?

The snow does nice things for that blue. For a still-dirty, long-stored car it doesn't look too-bad here.

The reason it's out....dead fridge! Look at that god-awful mess under it (steering gear leak).

timmycharger

Man I love that color, looking fantastic against the snow  :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:

lloyd3

TC: Your B5 blue is the more desirable option.  This one only looks good to me on occasion anymore. It's grown on me, but....it always looks a little "washed-out" in direct sunlight unless heavily waxed.

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 17, 2021, 02:12:07 AM
I was joking.....while alluding to a lobotomy or other mind controlling procedure.

Yes.  I understood the humor.  Replied with humor.

lloyd3

Beautiful day here yesterday. Mid 60s and mild. Snow is mostly gone and warmer days ahead. I liked the lighting from this beautiful sunset...

It that a busy driveway or what?

Kern Dog

I was thinking the same thing. There looks to be a lot of shuffling to get the cars out.

ACUDANUT

Great looking 68. I love what snow brings. Peace and beauty.  If you dress for it, it's fun. Some will never understand.