News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger - burnt wires to flasher

Started by VTMopar, March 10, 2021, 07:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTMopar

Help!   My 68 Charger was restored 5 years ago with new wiring (nearly new everything!).   All worked perfect until this week — all of a sudden the two wires going to the Flasher (controls turn signals) burnt..... was driving and all of a sudden they started smoking so I reached under and pulled the flasher off the wires.   No insulation left.... was rather scary as worried about a fire!

Can a bad flasher cause this?   Or do I have something else going on?  Now my dash lights are dark.  No blown fuses.   Emergency flashers work. Headlights and sidelights work.  Break lights work. Dome and curtesy lights work. Radio works.

Worried about safety (Driving it) until I know what caused this..... and the fix.   Any ideas?

Thanks
Vermont Mopar
VT Mopar

b5blue

Was the flasher in it's holder clip? Harness in it's wire holders? Lots of metal edges that could create problems. Take pics of how it's positioned up in the dash to examine.  :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

Ok... fuse should blown out. As far I recall turnings share the same fuse than radio and some othe stuff. This is weird.

The flasher handles hot ( positive ) source on both wires. If turnings, just with ign key in RUN/ACC and if Hazzards is BATT so is constant... and they just starts to flash when turnings or hazzards are on, due the load the bulbs sucks.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

VTMopar

I can't be certain if the flasher was in its holder cup or not.... when the smoke started I reached up and it was dangling down by the two wires and pulled off the flasher.    The two wire have no insulation left and come out of a "bundle" of wire just above the steering column.   I don't think any other wires are burnt in the bundle.... but I'm not positive.   As I have back issues, I been working up the courage to crawl under and look..... 😜 as I know I'm going to pay a price!   
VT Mopar

b5blue

I've a cheap camera I use to look around with before going limbo low.  :2thumbs:

VTMopar

VT Mopar