News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A slight paint problem

Started by AmadeusCharger500, March 12, 2021, 10:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I painted this car last September. There is a critical flaw in what I believe to be the clear coat and it is isolated to the sail panel area, drivers side. The photos dont show much but there are what I would describe as cracks or aging wrinkles in the clear coat that I can only see from certain lighting angles. One of these I tried to buff out but I burned through to the base coat. Bottom Line I think it needs repainting. This is my plan. I would appreciate any advice.

-Masking at the body line.
-Isolate only the roof and the part that extends the the tail of the car.
-block sand  the affected area until through the cracks
-Re color and blend on the section i burned through (small area)
-re clear the entire roof.

73rallye440magnum

Tough to tell in pics- is this a clear coat issue or is it possible this is bodywork shrink/shift/dieback. Looks like it could be substrate instability.

I know this forum sucks at pics. Can you post a few more and give some information on your products and procedure?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks for the reply. I'll take some more pics later

"Looks like it could be substrate instability." I hope not, and I don't think so. The primer sat for at least 2 weeks before I sanded it and applied a seal coat. The seal coat was blocked with a guide coat 400 and 600. I went over every inch and inspected with that blocking, its such tedious work.

All products are from my local auto paint shop.
2 coats of primer filler.
1 coat sealer.
Blocked with 400 and 600 using guide coat.
2 coats color
3 coats clear.

I propose perhaps I caused this by exposing to sunlight too soon. The cracks are isolated to the area of the sail panel down to the body line.

70 sublime

If I recall did you not have some problems in this area when you were painting the car to start with ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

AmadeusCharger500

yes its the same problem. I put it aside when the cold weather set in.  Essentially its been on hold for almost 6 months.

AmadeusCharger500

Here is a photo from last year. Maybe can see a little better the problem I am describing.

AmadeusCharger500

Out in the sun first time since last year. I still cant get a camera locked into the problem. They are vertical lines, running top to bottom a few inches long each and then they fade. Also somewhat random. Here is 2 of the same shot one is zoomed. Im pretty sure I caught the light on a few of them, as can see in the circled areas.

73rallye440magnum

If it really bugs you, tough area to blend, tough color to blend.

If it were me I'd block with 120/180 through the source of the defect (we assume this is the clearcoat), epoxy prime a 2-3 light coats, let that sit for at least a week so it has time to stabilize.

Wet sand that per paint manufacturer topcoat recommendation, color and clear blend into roof at C pillar and the shoulder of the quarter panel.

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

73rallye440magnum

Option 2-

Put the car together and enjoy it. Fix the paint when/if you feel like it offseason.

AmadeusCharger500

Option 2
Ha, believe me I'm torn. However part of me wants to just get this over with early in the season. This is keeping me from putting the car back together, glass, interior, etc.
Option 1
Sounds about right, except the part where I blend the color and clear, having very little experience on doing that.
I can paint. I can repaint, not sure I can blend.

AmadeusCharger500

Im still putting this off. I think I can do it but I need one more question answered. I dont know how to blend clear coat so if I were to re clear this area would I do the entire roof over to the other sail panel and back to the quarter end caps.

AKcharger

I blended to a sharp body line...that worked

AmadeusCharger500

For clear coat im going to scuff all the roof up to the hard lines. The repair is on drives side but I will go over to same line on passenger side.

AKcharger

I think that will be fine, just a scuff and mist for most of the roof