News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hydro boost

Started by flyinlow, March 12, 2021, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

So hydro boost taps into the excess fluid that my power steering box does not need. My question is where does the pressure come from? If I tee into the steering box input line the pressure is only about 100-200 psi unless I am parallel parking or hold the steering wheel against the stop. Against the stop you might see 900psi. You would seam to need restrictor orifices' ,check valves and accumulator at the least to make this work. I am not sure how my PS pump would hold up running at higher pressures for an extended time.

funknut

high pressure goes from the pump to the hydroboost then to the steering box.  No change to my PS pump, though I have a more recent stock rebuild.  Hydroboost doesn't bleed off all the pressure, so there is plenty to work the steering box.  I guess you might see difficulty steering if you are mashing the brakes, but I've never noticed a problem.

Fitz73Chrgr

Hydroboost needs a strong power steering pump.  You won't tee into an existing pressure line, you'd need to run a new pressure line from the power steering pump to the hydroboost.  From there, the high pressure fluid continues to the steering gear box (like Funknut pointed out).  You'll run a return line from both the hydroboost and the steering box, which can be tee'd together before hitting the pump. 

I'm dealing with this issue right now.  My old, tired pump isn't quite up to the task of handling the steering and the brakes.  I'm looking into replacing the pump with one that puts out a higher pressure and flow rate.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/steering-under-boosted-and-binding-after-hydroboost-install.214150/#post-911836848
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

histoy

I'm having a CPP hydro-boost installed on my '56 Chevy right now.  They require a pump that puts out a minimum of 1200 psi.

Mike DC

No free lunch.  

If only the stock PS pump was making enough excess pressure to run both systems easily . . . then we would have tossed/altered that pump for the horsepower gain a long time ago.