News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

shifter postion NEEDED URGENTLY

Started by ht4spd307, March 14, 2021, 07:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ht4spd307

gday guys need some urgent measurements as the panel beater has finished and this is the last piece of the puzzle. if someone could run a straight edge across the shifter and mount bracket as  pictured (the front ones not a issue) and measure from the straight edge to the seal panel lip as i need to double check the mounting height of the console as it seems to high when i put the brackets on the tunnel  thanks ahead guys hope someone can help

ht4spd307

PlainfieldCharger

I mounted the brackets to the shell of the console before I welded them in place. You can then trial fit and bend the bracket open or closed to the trans tunnel width to adjust the consoles final height and also check it is centered/level. Mark the correct position... remove brackets and weld in place.  :Twocents:

ht4spd307

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on March 17, 2021, 07:24:27 AM
I mounted the brackets to the shell of the console before I welded them in place. You can then trial fit and bend the bracket open or closed to the trans tunnel width to adjust the consoles final height and also check it is centered/level. Mark the correct position... remove brackets and weld in place.  :Twocents:
Thanks for your reply but the shifter mount cant be adjusted  it's solid but your correct about the front and rear ones .problem is the shifter brackets seems way too high could be something to do with the replacement floor maybe the tunnel is tall hence the reason i need the height

ht4spd307

ht4spd307

wow can't believe that not one person on this site has a car they are able to take some measurements  :shruggy:

armor64

sorry i cant get the measurements, i dont want to unbolt the seats and tear down the console, but, How high is too high for the shifter bracket? the height from the shifter mount and console top on mine has alot of "wiggle room", at least an inch before it would contact the plate.if you test fit the shifter and console, does the pivot hit the lid?

does your shifter have scratches in the chrome on the sides near the lid? you could also use the highest scratch as the alignment as a worst case?

on mine, this picture doesn't show it well, but, the top of the rear mount flange on the shifter arm is the same height as the screw for the side trim seen on the back

70 sublime

I have a 70 apart at the moment that I bought as a half done project
I took a look but only part of the brackets were welded on already and not sure any measure I could get from it would be accurate anyways because all the floor was changed

Not really sure why you need these numbers anyways  :icon_smile_question:

The bracket parts are only one size so they will only be so tall unless you mush them down over the tunnel when put them on

Just tack them on and put the console on top to see how it all fits and go from there 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ht4spd307

the reason i need these numbers is because my floor has been changed also but when i put the brackets on the floor and console bolted to them the gap between the floor pan and console seems excessive and before you say thats normal its not as i realize there should be room for underfelt and carpet but the gap is way to large my thoughts are the repop tunnel is to high so i may need to cut down the brackets hence the reason i need these measurements

ht4spd307

Quote from: armor64 on April 01, 2021, 07:52:46 AM
sorry i cant get the measurements, i dont want to unbolt the seats and tear down the console, but, How high is too high for the shifter bracket? the height from the shifter mount and console top on mine has alot of "wiggle room", at least an inch before it would contact the plate.if you test fit the shifter and console, does the pivot hit the lid?

does your shifter have scratches in the chrome on the sides near the lid? you could also use the highest scratch as the alignment as a worst case?

on mine, this picture doesn't show it well, but, the top of the rear mount flange on the shifter arm is the same height as the screw for the side trim seen on the back
thanks for your input  but the issue isn't on the top side but the gap between the console and floor pan

70 sublime

Quote from: ht4spd307 on April 01, 2021, 09:41:38 AM
the reason i need these numbers is because my floor has been changed also but when i put the brackets on the floor and console bolted to them the gap between the floor pan and console seems excessive and before you say thats normal its not as i realize there should be room for underfelt and carpet but the gap is way to large my thoughts are the repop tunnel is to high so i may need to cut down the brackets hence the reason i need these measurements

I have an original floor 69 also with the console in it and no carpet
I can measure how far the bottom edge of the console is off the floor if that would help ?

ht4spd307

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 01, 2021, 10:08:52 AM
Quote from: ht4spd307 on April 01, 2021, 09:41:38 AM

I have an original floor 69 also with the console in it and no carpet
I can measure how far the bottom edge of the console is off the floor if that would help ?
thankyou that would be appreciated

Kern Dog

Quote from: ht4spd307 on April 01, 2021, 07:28:33 AM
wow can't believe that not one person on this site has a car they are able to take some measurements  :shruggy:

What it seems like you are asking is to find someone that has their car stripped out to the same point that your car is.
Consider checking out other Mopar sites where members have ongoing build threads. What you need can be found in a Coronet, a Super Bee, a Road Runner, a GTX or a Charger. The measurements will all be the same. I doubt that anyone other than a real close friend would take their interior apart to get these measurements for you.
I had my carpet out when I converted my '70 from a floor shifted automatic to the Tremec 5 speed. If you asked this question 6-7 weeks ago, I could have helped you.
I'm still surprised that you don't do as has been suggested already. Mock it up for yourself. The shell of the console will sit up off of the floor to account for the thickness of the carpet. I have the fore/aft numbers for the console and shifter brackets. I never measured the height since I was dealing with stock brackets that I removed and plan to use in my other car.

ht4spd307

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 02, 2021, 03:02:57 AM
Quote from: ht4spd307 on April 01, 2021, 07:28:33 AM

What it seems like you are asking is to find someone that has their car stripped out to the same point that your car is.
Consider checking out other Mopar sites where members have ongoing build threads. What you need can be found in a Coronet, a Super Bee, a Road Runner, a GTX or a Charger. The measurements will all be the same. I doubt that anyone other than a real close friend would take their interior apart to get these measurements for you.
I had my carpet out when I converted my '70 from a floor shifted automatic to the Tremec 5 speed. If you asked this question 6-7 weeks ago, I could have helped you.
I'm still surprised that you don't do as has been suggested already. Mock it up for yourself. The shell of the console will sit up off of the floor to account for the thickness of the carpet. I have the fore/aft numbers for the console and shifter brackets. I never measured the height since I was dealing with stock brackets that I removed and plan to use in my other car.
Thanks kern dog for your reply &yes those cars would also be the same that's why I'm surprised with amount of restorations going on with these cars that no one is in the same position as my car and don't expect anyone to strip their car down either . i actually asked this question around the end of last year in another thread  I've also put it up on another forum and Facebook but still no cigar so please excuse my frustration.i have tried mounting the console and brackets but pretty hard to get it right position but i guess i'll keep trying till i get it

70 sublime

OK so I measured my 69 Charger
I am looking at this picture from the driver side

The console
The back from the bottom of black console part to the floor is about 2 1/2"  I measured this right beside the rear console mounting brace because I could see it reaching down past the console

The front measurement
I measured right below the light on the side of the console
The floor has a bump up in this location so their is not much room under the edge like the back  Got about 7/8" space in this spot

I also measured the top of the console door at the back edge when it is closed to the underside of the roof skin ( my headliner is crap ) and I got 34" in this location

Hope these help

Just remember the console looks a little high off the floor at the back but this is in behind the front seats and you can not notice the space

ht4spd307

Thanks Sublime much appreciated have a great Easter break