News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Magnets in the engine

Started by flyinlow, March 15, 2021, 03:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Anyone epoxy magnets inside the engine?

70 sublime

I have seen drain plugs with a magnet on it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

metallicareload99

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 15, 2021, 05:39:43 PM
I have seen drain plugs with a magnet on it

I use one of those. It just collects a type of antiseize on it.

I think more than one company makes a big ol magnet you slap onto the oil filter. All that being said I don't really know what the point is, as the metal you really care about is nonmagnetic (bearing material)
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Kern Dog

I have a magnet in the transmission pan and a magnetic drain plug in the engine oil pan.
Those can send you down a rabbit hole thinking the engine is coming apart.  :eek2:
When I was doing the 5 speed Tremec swap, I had to pull the pan to pound out a dent. I found some goo on the drain plug and thought I had a crank bearing going bad. Everything checked out fine.

b5blue

Just slap a high strength one right by the pan drain or on the filter for micro particles.  :scratchchin:

flyinlow

I have wondered about S.O.A.P. samples on cars. Have you used these? Do you use a standard hours of service on the oil for a sample ?  On turbine engines we took the sample at a specified hour , not at oil change like I assume you would with a car. Do they have a baseline for BB Mopar engines?

AKcharger

I've never used it for a car, was never really that important. I suspect the people that burn the samples have to limits..at least I hope