News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear main seal leaking?

Started by 73chgrSE, March 16, 2021, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I have an oil drip from the inspection plate. Is that the rear main seal leaking? I'm not sure if I want to try to tackle that myself. What do you think a local shop will charge for that?

jlatessa

Take off the inspection plate and look up to where the seal is with a mirror.
If it's dry there it could be leaking from the oil pan gasket (more likely).

Good luck, don't make any decisions until you get back to the forum with what you find.

Joe

Just 6T9 CHGR

.....or the transmission front pump seal (if its an automatic)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jlatessa

Check the color of the leak, if it's reddish, the trans may be the culprit.

Let us know what's going on....

Joe

John_Kunkel

Some leaks that appear to be coming from the rear seal originate at the top rear of the engine i.e. OP transmitter or intake manifold gasket.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brass

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 20, 2021, 01:39:00 PM
Some leaks that appear to be coming from the rear seal originate at the top rear of the engine i.e. OP transmitter or intake manifold gasket.

It could also come from the valve covers or the rear cam and galley plugs.  Probably not very likely though.

73chgrSE

I'm sure its the rear main seal. Do you have to take the oil pan off to replace it?

jlatessa

That's the only way, not an easy job on your back,
but it can be done.

Lots of threads on that very topic, do some searches
and ask questions.

I've done it a couple times and don't want to do it that way again, but I'm an OLD fart. LOL

Joe

Back N Black

I was chasing an oil leak all last summer, I was determined it as the rear main because the way the oil collected inside of the transmission inspection cover. It was hard to trace because the oil is so clean. But with the help of a friend we found it was the valve covers leaking.