News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tic Toc Tach Trouble - tachometer dies a few seconds after engine start

Started by DAmatt, March 17, 2021, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAmatt

Did any of you guys and gals see this happening?

I start the engine, tach is working fine, but after a few seconds the needle drops as if no power / signal.

I made a short clip of it

https://youtu.be/ciyP-FHz1Xs

Worth to mention it started right after I had a minor impact (~2mph) nothing seems out of place, and I really don't think the impact would have broken the inner workings of the tach...
Also, it is the OER repop, not the original.

What to you all think of it??

1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

matchek

By the way,  did it repeat itself several times doing the same thing?  From my understanding, it fades out after you hit the gas?  Put in gear?  Do nothing after 10 seconds?  This is a new Tic Tac install that you did?
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

DAmatt

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what I do or do not do, after like 10 seconds it just goes to zero. If I restart, the rpm needle doesn't move, but if I let it sit a while, it comes back to life, albeit for a short period.

Tach is a new OER reproduction from classicindustries....
1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

steve817

Steve from OCD Restoration,
I have fixed a few of the OER tachs. They look the part, however, simply do not have the same function as a professionally restored original. I have restored many of the originals to include upgraded boards, quartz clock. Please let me know if I can help. Thanks