News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Issue With Starting

Started by BillT, March 20, 2021, 08:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Hello,

I have some strange issue with starting the second gen Charger after it has been run for a few miles.  When cold, turn the key and fires right up.  But if you go to the grocery for a short time and come back to the car, turn the key and there is nothing, not even a click.  After trying to turn the key into the start position in panic desperation for some time, there will be a rapid and intermittent grind sometimes. 

My initial thought was the starter motor gear not fully engaging the flywheel, so I bought one of the newer style high-torque style mini motors - no luck.  Tried changing the relay - no luck.  New key cylinder - no luck.  If I jump the terminals at the relay with a screwdriver (always carry tools with this car!), she fires right up.  I don't mind doing this but it is embarrassing the wife and is a potential safety issue if I stall out somewhere like an intersection.  If anyone has some t-shooting recommendations, I'm happy to receive your advice.

Thanks,
Bill

XH29N0G

From what I read, it isnot battery and the main power is making it to the relay (because can jump the relay). it does not look like the relay (because that has been replaced), it is not likely to be the key cylinder (because that has been replaced.

I would wonder about the signal that triggers the relay and the parts between the key cylinder and the relay.  This would leave the harness.  The key harness (unless that is the key cylinder). and the connections.  I had a connection in the clip between the key harness and the main harness stop making a good contact.  The engine would run fine, but then switch off at random times.  It often came back on.  after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes.  I do not know what would make it so that the connection would be broken and then remade.  I wasn't kicking that connector in frustration.  The other connections would be through the firewall.  I do not know what would make it lose a connection after a short run, rather than at any other time.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Q5XX29

dakota_gt on Instagram

DownZero

Remove the bulkhead connector and inspect/clean all connections.

BillT

Thank you for your recommendations.  I'll inspect bulkhead connector - replaced previously due to meltdown (My fault and is long story.  Car has been griefing me with this for 20 years.) but maybe something worked loose since repair and replacement.  I will also replace the NSS.  I suppose the NSS is near the pipes, so maybe heat makes it go wonky.

-Bill

b5blue

Next time try wiggling the shifter around.

John_Kunkel

:iagree: Try Neutral instead of Park and/or move the shifter while holding the key in Start.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

BillT

It is fixed now.  Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Short story, it was the harness that goes to the NSS. 

Long story, after replacing the NSS, it still had the issue.  Jiggled the 3 wires going to the NSS and she started.  When integrating the new harness with the old, the center wire literally fell out of the plug that goes to the 3 prongs on the NSS, so this makes sense as the center wire goes to the relay I believe.  Makes even more sense as this flaky wiring and no-start was influenced by thermal conditions. 

b5blue