News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Debating sealing/epoxy priming myself

Started by CFMopar, March 24, 2021, 06:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Hey everyone,

So as my project chugs along slowly I'm getting close to stripping the shell.  There's a place that dips near me that I'm considering. 

After dipping the do coat it in a rust preventative, but it needs to be sealed rather quickly to prevent flash rust.

I'm debating attempting to seal it myself before I move onto the metal work. 

Thinking of using Eastwood's epoxy primer and their internal frame coating. 

Figured I'd grab a few rattle cans also with the flexible attachment to get into those places a sprayer can't. 

Couple questions.

Is this something that's feasible for a competent diyer?

Does my plan sound reasonable?

Does the surface need any prepping prior to applying epoxy? Or can I apply it right over.

I don't own a big air compressor, but I have a airless sprayer I used to paint a ceiling before.  Is it possible to use this?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

68 charger freak

i don't think doing it your self is a good idea, i know most shops around here will power wash the car . put it in the paint booth on a bake cycle to dry up the water, then go over any areas that still have rust or scale,then epoxy on another bake cycle. all in one day,  plus in the summer its even more time sensitive due to the humidity.and your neighbours are going to love you. 
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

b5blue