News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has the 69 Charger AMD deck filler panel stamping been fixed yet?

Started by mopar4don, January 25, 2021, 04:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I just talked to my AMD re-seller about replacing the deck filler panel that I have, with a new one from AMD.

The panel I have is at least 6 years old and apparently the stamping was off. It needs to be longer (left to right from the back of the car)
by about 1/8 inch per side or 1/4 inch overall. (I verified this with the original rusty panel)
Well to make a long story short, I added that 1/8 per side but in the process I warped the panel. :brickwall: :brickwall:

So I was going to buy a new one from AMD but I asked my re-seller if he could check with AMD to be sure that they fixed the stamping.

I don't want to spend more money on something that is not right! :icon_smile_blackeye:

This is the message from my re-seller.
It is the same stamping as the last time. They show no revision on that part In the computer.

SO I was hoping someone that has just bought one could get me a dimension across the length to verify there product is off.
Thank you

Mike DC

Can you post any pics of how the panel is off? 

IMO we really should be archiving this stuff on the site.

mopar4don

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 26, 2021, 06:56:17 AM

Can you post any pics of how the panel is off? 

IMO we really should be archiving this stuff on the site.

Yes sir I can. But here is a side note. A member on FBBO.com back in 2012 identified this as a problem and was told by AMD it would be fixed.
go to this link at post #164
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/sgtpauls-68-charger-rt-project.15210/page-9

Apparently they have not fixed it according to what AMD told my re-seller.

I would like to find someone who has recently purchased this panel and get a couple of measurements to verify that AMD has NOT corrected the problem.

Here is a pic of my original panel and how I measured the length

I took 3 length measurements:

1st measure along the trunk lid edge and I got 47-1/2

6 inches down from the trunk lid edge 45-1/2

12 inches down from the trunk lid edge 43-1/2

mopar4don

Well Bill from AMD confirmed that that panel is short. And apparently has been short for at least 13 years. I found a thread on moparts from 2008

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1205149/1.html

So how is everyone fitting these in to AMD full quarters?

any tips? tricks?

orange383

I have an early AMD stamping that I bought about 10 years ago. Mine measures the same as your original piece except for the trunk edge which is 1/4" shorter. This makes sense as when I mocked everything up it was wider there between the filler panel and sail panel but tight near the rear screen opening.

I initially thought the sail panel was off but it must be the filler panel.
I tightened the gap some by clamping the pieces together as tight as I could but it still wasn't right.

I don't have a photo of that area and I've pulled the panels back off to weld the wheel housings on now but will take a photo in a day or two of that area. It looks as though I will need to widen the panel but not all the way along.

My panel is straight at the sides when I place a straight edge against it. What about your original piece Don, is that straight?

Matt.

orange383

orange383

Here's a photo of the passenger side quarter with a straight edge against the sail panel. You can see it starts to curve outwards about 5" or 6" from the rear screen.
I'm interested to know if this profile is correct?

orange383

Here's my filler panel screwed into place Don. As I said in your other thread the gap starts to open out nearest the trunk lid. Puling the panels together tightens the quarter to trunk lid gap too much for my liking!

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on March 13, 2021, 02:25:05 PM
Here's my filler panel screwed into place Don. As I said in your other thread the gap starts to open out nearest the trunk lid. Puling the panels together tightens the quarter to trunk lid gap too much for my liking!

So what I ended up doing was grinding the flat dog ear that fits into the trunk gutter.
I took off the poorly formed edge (about 1/4) and tapered it back.
this way the quarter can be clamped together and that bad AMD edge wont hold give you a gap.

BUT it will pull the quarter in a bit so you may have to move the quarter out to compensate and get a good gap.

pic2 shows how that BADLY formed edge looks when it is in position. * NOTE these are not my pics. I found these on moparts were others were complaining about the panel.

orange383

I had already ground the piece back that fits in the gutter Don but still couldn't close the gap up.
Those quarters at the sail panel flange look much straighter then my AMD ones do. Hopefully the quarter will pull in straighter there as I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be curved.

I went ahead and widened the filler panel which took ages due to porosity which I think was caused by low gas pressure. I haven't tried it back on the car with any clamps yet, it's just sitting there until tomorrow when I get back to it.
I've found this stage of the build a bit frustrating, I really want it to look right once it's all welded in place but I'm concerned it won't!

I'll post some photos tomorrow once I've got some clamps on it.

orange383

Today I clamped the filler panel in place but there was still too much curve on the quarter panel where it joins the filler panel. I'm sure it should be straighter so whilst it was clamped in place I used a hammer and bolster/wide chisel from the inside of the quarter panel to bring it out.
I then removed the filler panel and hammered off dolly the middle part in the opposite direction to make the flange straighter.
It still has a slight curve but it looks much better to me.

Let me know what you think Don. I don't think I can do anymore with it to be honest. Since I took these photos I have brought the low spot out on the filler panel caused by the amount of welding I did trying to fix the porosity. I'm not sure if I will chase the pin holes that are left as I think I may be pushing my luck chasing them! It may be best to seal them up and call it done!

mopar4don

I would say if your happy with it then thats what matters.
Looks good to me. :2thumbs: