News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopars

Started by 426HemiChick, March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 08, 2022, 11:15:09 PM
Hi Chris,
You'd have to ask them, but I'm pretty certain they keep a large supply of both original cores and aftermarket transmissions for their projects. What you're suggesting is exactly what I did; had them deliver me a brand new, purpose-built 727 TF for my Dart, rather than rebuild the original. Just call Rick Allison (the owner of A&A), he is super knowledgeable and over-the-top detailed in his approach to building what you need. Much like working with Tim at FHO, not the cheapest but worth every penny, in my opinion.

Clint

Hi Clint,                   10 February 2022

Going to call Tim and finalize the order for the 572. We think we'll have it painted the traditional Hemi Orange with black Rocker/Valve covers. Also have to decide on the correct headers. We do want a set of Stainless that can be polished for both Hemi's. Don't mind them turning Blue, it helps exude an aura of raw power and the will to use it. Attached to a Hemi there's no question it's as Bad-Ass as it gets.

Our Ram PU has too many automatic features; the driver seat remembers which key fob is inserted and positions that seat to what the seat has in memory for that particular FOB, a max of two FOBs. For some reason it will no longer position the seat all the way back. We can barely get in the thing. We've tried everything in the owner's manual to change it without success. Can't get it into the dealer until the 17th and that's to get in a FIVE DAY waiting line for service. Think this is something Chrysler Dealers have invented as we experienced the same hogwash in Texas.

Auto service seems to have become a RACKET. Dena took her Ford Truck to the dealer yesterday. They want $10,000,00 to fix a few oil leaks, claiming they have to pull the engine. It's a Diesel with 50K on the clock. It shouldn't have leaks with that few miles. Also, she didn't have to wait for service. Ford probably hasn't gotten the "Wait Word."

You can't order a new car and expect to get it any time soon. We're beginning to wonder what third world country we are living in. Oh, it's still the US, it just now happens to be a "Turd world country" with Nuclear Weapons. Oh well, it lasted longer than expected.

Thanks Clint for the help.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Q5XX29

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 10, 2022, 12:59:37 PM
Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 08, 2022, 11:15:09 PM
Hi Chris,
You'd have to ask them, but I'm pretty certain they keep a large supply of both original cores and aftermarket transmissions for their projects. What you're suggesting is exactly what I did; had them deliver me a brand new, purpose-built 727 TF for my Dart, rather than rebuild the original. Just call Rick Allison (the owner of A&A), he is super knowledgeable and over-the-top detailed in his approach to building what you need. Much like working with Tim at FHO, not the cheapest but worth every penny, in my opinion.

Clint

Hi Clint,                   10 February 2022

Going to call Tim and finalize the order for the 572. We think we'll have it painted the traditional Hemi Orange with black Rocker/Valve covers. Also have to decide on the correct headers. We do want a set of Stainless that can be polished for both Hemi's. Don't mind them turning Blue, it helps exude an aura of raw power and the will to use it. Attached to a Hemi there's no question it's as Bad-Ass as it gets.

Our Ram PU has too many automatic features; the driver seat remembers which key fob is inserted and positions that seat to what the seat has in memory for that particular FOB, a max of two FOBs. For some reason it will no longer position the seat all the way back. We can barely get in the thing. We've tried everything in the owner's manual to change it without success. Can't get it into the dealer until the 17th and that's to get in a FIVE DAY waiting line for service.

Auto service seems to have become a RACKET. Dena took her Ford Truck to the dealer yesterday. They want $10,000,00 to fix a few oil leaks, claiming they have to pull the engine. It's a Diesel with 50K on the clock. It shouldn't have leaks with that few miles.

You can't order a new car and expect to get it any time soon. We're beginning to wonder what third world country we are living in. Oh, it's still the US, it just now happens to be a "Turd world country" with Nuclear Weapons. Oh well, it lasted longer than expected.

Thanks Clint for the help.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Awesome, Chicks! Well, except the part about the service issues for your Ram. That sucks.

Your combo should put a huge smile on your faces. As for the headers, I highly recommend checking out the offerings from TTI, but I see that they don't have a stainless option. They do have a nickel chrome option though, that will blue nicely over time. I have been very happy with both sets of TTI's I have on my hemis. I went with the polished ceramic coating and have been very satisfied. They basically look the same as the day they were installed, which is what I was after.

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTiHEMI-218.htm

You'll want to get Tim/FHO's recommendation for the size and brand, too. Either 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" should work great for you, methinks.

Clint
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Hi Clint,               10 February 2022

Thanks Clint, we'll check them out.

Our friend Scott Lee is delivering cars up north. He's heading down our way within the next couple days to pick cars up at Barrett Jackson. He needs a weather break as he's been operating in some mighty cold and snowy states.

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  12 February 2022

Our 572 Hemi Engine from FHO is on order. We wired the deposit today, We are looking forward to getting that monster and installing it in our 68 RR. We're sure she will be happy once she is able to get around again on her own rather than being pushed, pulled and trailered.

We have decided to give her the name we originally came up with when we decided to race her. Unfortunately, she never got to wear that Moniker, it went on the SB when we transplanted the RR's Hemi into her. She was named "Elephant." So, henceforth our RR will be known as "Elephant I" which will adorn both doors.

We need some advice here. Her original third member is an 8 3/4 with a 4.89 gear set; we have the original 3.23 but that's to short.. We are thinking more along the lines of 2.76 or taller, it's top end vs. acceleration. We would like whatever they were running in the Daytona's when they we kicking butt in NASCAR.

As things progress we will update this thread.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Always

Dena and Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 12 February 2022

Got some good news a few minutes ago. Was on the phone with Scott Lee, he's here in AZ transporting cars, as we were talking Dena came over, picked up the keys to la troka and went outside.

Scott had to cut the conversation short as he had a call coming in from HQ. Hung up and Dena walked in with a great big smile on her face. She announced: la Troka es muy  bien. She brute forced the seat back and it's now fine. Think maybe we need to take the seat out and see what may have been causing the problem.

Now that the seat is fixed, I can make it to the VA Monday morning.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 12, 2022, 08:46:41 PM
Hi Folks,                 12 February 2022
Now that the seat is fixed, I can make it to the VA Monday morning.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Hi Folks,                   14 February 2022

Oh, I started out for the VA this AM, took the 202 loop North to I-10 East. At 0720 hrs MST the sun is popping up in the east. I have known for a while I have two Cadillac's (my name for Cataracts). The sun rising in the east made looking out the windshield appear to be "frosted" like a bathroom window. Couldn't read the signs causing me to miss my off ramp for I-17 north. Ended up going south into an industrial area.

Did make it home after calling the VA and canceling my appointment.

I have known for some time I have eye issues. Didn't realize just how bad this issue is until this morning; I usually don't go out as early as I did today. Need to find an eye surgeon that has a good record replacing folks lenses.

The crux of this issue is no more early morning or evening (headlight) driving until I have this issue resolved.

Not going to let this issue slow down getting the cars running.

We have decided to have the Super Bee's 440 Six Pack overhauled. The engine was screwed up by the builder at the Chrysler engine plant and next by the brain dead mechanic at the dealership where we bought it, Falls Dodge in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio (no longer in business).

The dealer gave us a new head and four valves lifters and pushrods. The engine can only be considered repaired so we have decided to have it upgraded with many new components: SS valves, bronze guides, Stellite Seats or whatever is best, new H-beam rods, forged crank, forged pistons w/floating pins, roller cam and lifters, push rods, roller rockers, etc. Basically new guts. If we sell the car, all the original components will go with it. It will still be matching numbers as the vin, engine, tran and third member will be the original items. It will have a restored and upgraded engine.

That's it for today, got up too early to go nowhere.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               15 February 2022

Today was tooth out day. Had a bad molar so it done got yanked. That was a fun trip.

Was thinking about an implant. Talked to the doc a bit. He mentioned a bone graft. Asked where he was going to get the bone to graft. He said " From a Cadaver."  I asked: "You mean from a Dead Person?" He said "Yes." I then asked if a Cow would do and he said "Yes!"

Gave it a lengthy thought, about three seconds passed and I declined. The thought of something from a dead person or animal in my body wasn't going to happen. Decided to wait until the socket healed and new bone of my own formed and filled the empty hole.

Asked if I could have the old tooth so I could put it under my pillow in hopes of finding a few $$$ there in the morning. He said no, it was your folks who done did that, so I let it go. Besides, my folks have been planted for quite some time.

So, for the moment I'm one tooth closer to being toothless and a few bucks lighter in the wallet.

The Lidocaine is wearing off. Where the stuff was injected ain't feeling so hot. Gotta run to Walgreen's to pick up the antibiotic the Doc prescribed.

Another so, so day.

Will have to say the weather has been summer like and it's just past the middle of February. It sure feels good to be home.

Later.

Best Always

Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 19 February 2022

Need a bit of info: What is the correct casting number for the 1969 440 Six Pack heads?

We have heard that the heads are the same for all 440's of that era. We have 1969 SB Six-Pack "Sales" literature that states the heads are premium, have special valves with Hard Chrome Stems and flow better. I have talked with a couple folks that have worked on those car's engines and they say they are the same as any other 440 they put in SB's and RR's. What are the facts?

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Davtona

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 19, 2022, 10:45:36 PM
Hi Folks,                 19 February 2022

What is the correct casting number for the 1969 440 Six Pack heads?

All 440's (1968 thru 1970) and Six Packs used the regular 906 head as I have always understood. Have never heard of any differences in the valves or ports. As you say "same for all 440's of that era." Actually the 383's too.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Davtona on February 19, 2022, 11:16:14 PM

All 440's (1968 thru 1970) and Six Packs used the regular 906 head as I have always understood. Have never heard of any differences in the valves or ports. As you say "same for all 440's of that era." Actually the 383's too.

Hi Dave,                20 February 2022

Thank you for the info. We have the new head we received from the dealer in 1969. It's been packed away 53 years. We do have sales literature for the 1969 440 Six-Pack engines that's here in Phoenix. Will ask Dena to dig it out so we can copy and post it here.

We are going to have the 440 rebuilt with high quality components so we won't have to worry about engine issues. To us, it seemed pointless to go to the trouble of having it rebuilt and not use high quality racing components.

Thanks again Dave for your help and info.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Dave,               20 February 2022

We found the "Paperwork / Sales-Propaganda" from 03 March 1969. It's ancient high definition low quality early fake Xerox copy. Dena is good at cleaning up the copy so it should look better after she has completed working her magic.

Here are a couple tidbits of what's on the Sales Sheet:

Special New 440 hi-Performance Engine

Three 2-barrel Holly carburetors with lightweight aluminum manifold * Specially selected rocker arms ...* Chrome-flashed valve stems * and other things. No point in typing it all out, we are going to copy the copies we have and will post them here as soon as Dena has worked her magic. Keep in mind, the copies we have are 53 years old; probably older than most folks on this site. Just hope the folks on this site that are older are in better shape than our copies.

As I am doing this, Dena is working on copying our copies so she can digitally enhance them.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  20 February 2022

They are HERE !!!!

Attached are jpg images of the 53 year old sales blurbs given to us in March 1969 before we ordered the Six-Pack.

These are large images so full screen should allow you to view the whole image without having to scroll side to side.

Hope these images prove helpful to A12 fans.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

JB400

Pretty cool.   :cheers: I guess yellow would be butternut

426HemiChick

NOTE- The Quote Below is from a post Repsol17 made on Bob Jennings Daytona thread back on 14 November 2020

Quote from: Repsol17 on November 14, 2020, 09:35:25 AM
Great story and really new here.  Congrats on the new ownership and happy Belated Veterans day to Bob (new owner and you 426hemi and all other vets here).

If I may ask a question to 426hemichick here in reference to the broadcast sheet... seems this thread is staying on track  :icon_smile_big:

How in the world or why would Galen being "STORING" the build sheet to begin with and who allowed this ?  I'm assuming this agreement of sort was between you and him ?
Baffled   :shruggy:

BTW...  It's incredible that someone in that era would park 2 new cars with almost no miles on them.  That's awesome..I'd love to hear what was the thought at that time in doing.

Thanks   ;)

Hi Repsol17,                     21 February 2022

I want to apologize for taking 15 months and 7 days to respond to your post, and not on the thread you posted it on. I hope better late than never is OK.

First the build sheet. Back around 2006 I was trying to find out if the Hemi Cuda we had and sold in 1975 still existed in some form. Called Galen to check if he had any record of the car or engine. Nothing. Mentioned the Daytona and registered it with him. He told me he had the build sheet and asked me if I wanted him to send it to me. I asked him to keep it for me so it wouldn't get lost. Never gave it much thought and kind of forgot about it . . . . until recently. The rest is documented in our threads.

At the time, about August 1969, I was repairing the Hemi and the 440-6. All of a sudden I returned to work at General Instrument Corporation for another assignment in Japan. Didn't have time to finish the two engines so I pickled the engines and put the cars in long term storage. Knew I was going to be gone several years, just not how many, which was up to me.

Long story short, I stayed two months shy of 3 years. When I returned I didn't feel like working on the cars so I set about finding a couple Hemi cars I could drive. Found the Daytona and a Hemi Cuda, both of which I bought. Also bought a service station so I'd have a place to store and work on them and earn a few bucks.

After a couple years of working on other folks stuff and never having time for mine, I sold the business and took a lengthy vacation. Like all good things, that came to and end so I went back to engineering. It was cleaner and paid better. In 75 sold the Cuda, which was a car I did not like. I've written about it elsewhere in this thread. Stayed around Ohio until 1979 when we transferred to Texas.

Brought the three cars down to Texas, put them in the garage, which is where they remained until Bob bought the Daytona and I moved home to Phoenix this past December. The cars got here in May about 7 months ahead of me.

There was never any great plan, had there been we'd have kept the Cuda.

If you read this thread you will know what is happening to the RR, SB, Mustang Police Car, Our Ford Interceptor and Ram PU.

Again I want to apologize for not responding in a timely manner.

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  21 February 2022

Please note the Bright Red paint code appears as A1 when I believe it should be A4 in the Sales Document above.

EDIT 21 Feb 22, 0909 hrs. MST:
Did a much closer examination of the document, Bright Red is A4.

Best Always

Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 05 March 2022

Just a quickie; Today marks the 53rd year since I quit smoking. Hard to believe, just a tad before we bought the 1969 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six Pack.

This Monday 07 March 22, a crew will be here to remove all the wall to wall carpet and to tile 4 bedrooms, the living room and remodel the bathroom showers.

They said they'd be done in one week. We hope so. We have been moving all the shipping boxes, again, to make room for the remodeling crews.

About a week ago we got a temp tag for the Interceptor so we could take it to be "Smogged." Got the car running w/o any trouble. The last time it had been started was the day after it arrived here last May first.

All cars that are going to be registered in Arizona must pass a smog test prior to applying for an AZ title. Since her Texas plate expired the end of February 2021, it was advisable to obtain the temp tag.

Drove her around a few days without any problem so earlier this week we took her to the AZ testing station. She was running fine and cruising right along. About three blocks from the testing station, the Check Engine light came on necessitating a U-Turn. A 12 mile round trip that will have to be done again.

Code reader indicated the right bank was running lean. Been down the road before; the same problem after letting the car sit for 8 years.

It runs and drives fine. Unfortunately, it had an almost full tank of 2 year old fuel in it. We dumped a couple bottles of Techron Injector cleaner in the tank and have driven it a bit. Going to run the tank down then fill it with fresh 91 octane fuel (highest available in Phoenix) and two additional bottles of Techron. Then we'll give her a good workout on the highway. Will remain just under 140 as that's as high as the speedo goes . . . . Yeah, that'll be the day.

Back to finish moving boxes; oh what fun it is. The satisfaction is being Home here in Phoenix.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

Nice update  :cheers:
Me and the wife quit smoking just over nine years ago  and considering the price we've been saving at least 9-10,000 per year just from not smoking! Needless to say we go on at least two vacations per year now as a reward for kicking the disgusting habit. And the best part? we did it cold turkey!

As for the shower remodels, be sure to watch lots of youtube videos on proper shower building procedures from pan to walls to actual tile installs. Type in "Sal Deblasi or Starr tile and them and many other tile install videos will pop up. Remember that just because someone is a good tile setter doesn't mean they are a good shower builder. If you watch enough videos you'll know what to look for in a good shower builder.
Take pictures of every step and ask lots of questions and again I can't stress enough, make sure the person you hired is a good shower builder and not just a tile setter!!
The more you know the better off you'll be so watch lots of videos.

I do at least ten showers a year and you can shower in my stalls even before the the tile goes on the wall and the tile and grout are just for looks!

Good luck with the interceptor and the Hemi and 440 builds. looking forward the hearing about the progress!

INTMD8

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 07, 2022, 04:32:54 PM
He's also going to fix our original street Hemi so we'll have two complete Hemi engines for our Road Runner.

I may have missed it. What is wrong with the original Hemi? 
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

426HemiChick

Quote from: INTMD8 on March 11, 2022, 11:02:07 PM
Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 07, 2022, 04:32:54 PM
He's also going to fix our original street Hemi so we'll have two complete Hemi engines for our Road Runner.

I may have missed it. What is wrong with the original Hemi? 

Hi INTMD8,                     12 March 2022

Back in 1968 we teamed up with a guy that supposedly knew a lot about building Racing Engines. He did, only with wedge engines. It turned out he didn't have a clue about Hemi's. He made mods to the oiling system, ground the valve seats on our Hemi heads using an "Orbital" grinder, which screwed the seats up and numerous items that could have destroyed it; came too close.

His oiling system mods contributed to the spun rod bearings on 7 and 8. We talked to the builder of our new 572 inch Hemi about rebuilding it. He said he thinks he can restore the engine as a 426 Street Hemi. What we want is to have two complete Hemi engine transmission assemblies for the Road Runner. We have two Hemi K-members so this will make swapping the engine/tran assemblies quite easy. Here again, the internals of the 426 Hemi will be top quality new racing components, but gentle as a normal Street Hemi is/was.

Our Super Bee's 440-6 Pack engine will be repaired using new components so it will run on 91 octane unleaded and survive. The Super Bee's engine cratered with 5 miles on the clock. It was poorly built by Chrysler and poorly repaired by the dealer. We are going to return the SB to stock with the exception of internal engine components, which will be premium. If we decide to sell it, all the original components will go with the car.

The RR has 4405 miles on the clock and the SB has 2681. The SB has never experienced rain or snow.

Thanks for the interest.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 07 April 2022

Was out and about today con la troka. She needed her food pantry replenished so we stopped at a local Fry's. We fed her their mid grade 87 Octane at a cost of $90.99 for 18.460 gallons at $4.92.9 per gallon.

Contrary to what we have been reading, prices don't seem to be coming down, at least here in Phoenix.

The consolation is the weather is warm (90s) during the day. blue skies, gentle breezes and beautiful mountains surrounding our city.

Thankful to be home.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

XH29N0G

Sorry to hear that.

I got curious and looked up a national map (https://www.gasbuddy.com/gaspricemap?lat=38.822395&lng=-96.591588&z=4).  

Showed stuff I expected with the California phenomenon.  Shows some stuff I didn't expect with the prices not stopping at the border with Arizona and then continuing to drop moving away from California.  My guess is this reflects what the market can get away with. Maybe the market will bear more if people see it high next door.  

I understand the pain with prices and costs. Prices are lower near me, but that is not consolation. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                09 April 2022

Thanks for the fuel update XH29N0G, thought things were a tad high here. Most likely due to most of our fuel coming from CA. The pipeline from Texas to AZ is small and cannot supply all of our needs so we rely heavily on California.

Have been perusing various threads on the site and have found a few comments indicting Hemi powered cars don't handle as well as ones powered by a 440. We had 3 Hemi cars, 68 RR, 69 Daytona and a 70 Hemi Cuda. Of the three, the Daytona was the absolute best, the Hemi Cuda was the worst by a longshot. It was more like riding in a "Buckboard" from an old western movie. The only thing the Hemi Cuda and I were good at together was "Bootleg Turns" invented by Junior Johnson of NASCAR fame.

We gladly sold that heap in 1975 . . . . only to regret it about 10 years later. Who could have known? Surely not us. Win some, lose some.

One last item you may find of interest: It's now 1523 (3:23 pm) MST, 97 degrees and bone dry (5% humidity). That's one of the reasons we are here in Phoenix . . . . it's RUST Free !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                10 April 2022

Just a bit different post for a Mopar site, so here goes:

Today we picked the last Valencia Orange from our tree in the back yard. We took a photo of it so we could post it here for posterity. The next crop is on the tree; they are just tiny green oranges now and should be ready around December. We do have a Navel Orange and a Lemon tree that are still covered with citrus fruit.

Little chillier today than yesterday; only 91 degrees.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              12 April 2022

Here's another off the wall post.

As stated earlier we brought over 18 tons of stuff here from Texas and that's not counting 5 vehicles.

Dena was opening up a box that contained one of our PC's. The attached picture shows some of the stuff I have collected over time. I had placed it in the computer box for safe transport.

They made it safe and sound.

Best Always

Chris for the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  13 April 2022

Subj:  Ramblings

Not much going on today, Clear blue sky, moderate temp of 77 degrees, wind WSW @ 9 mph, 5% humidity, dew point -1 degree f, barometer 29.93 and falling, no rain expected for the next ten days. Gonna have a tough time planning outdoor activities.

Monday, had sutures removed from the old melon. Next time I'm telling them no more dissolvable; I want the kind I can remove myself when they are ready. Had a couple that acted like they were infected. In my opinion, this is what results from dissolvable sutures that don't dissolve before the body starts rejecting them. Won't get into the nasty part; they do get a bit painful when rejection is in full swing.

Ella our Aussie goes to the vet tomorrow for a checkup and any inoculations she needs.

It's my turn Friday at the vet, VA to be exact. Need to get fully worked into the Phoenix system. Still using the one in Fort Worth for meds. After Friday I should be completely in the Phoenix system.

Do like being home in Phoenix. Don't think I'll ever leave here again for an extended period of time; maybe a short visit somewhere warm.

By the way, the little ducky in the photo above that's looking up at the camera, is out of the box and sitting on our desk. Soon, they will all be out and sitting on our desk.

Take Care and God Bless

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks