News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopars

Started by 426HemiChick, March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q5XX29

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 10, 2022, 05:42:13 AM
Hi Folks,               10 June 2022

This is a short story that is yet to have an ending.

It starts at Dena's truck yard / facility. Many tenants there provide services to the trucking industry. Yesterday, Dena received a call from one requesting a security camera. Seems they have been having gasoline stolen from the 40 gallon tank they use for their various gasoline powered machines.

This has been going on for a couple days. The day before yesterday they decided to replace the gasoline with water and a bit of gasoline floating on top. Sure enough, the 40 gallon tank had been emptied again.

So now the saga will have to wait until we find out how the thieves are doing. Did they sell the water to their customers? We are hoping to find out today. We'll be on the lookout for black eyes and busted noses.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

That is hilarious! Hopefully some justice is served.
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,             11 June 2022

Just a quick note: Last night we went out to get some chow for supper. Along the way we spotted current gasoline prices: $5.59.9 for regular. It ain't getting "Gooder" more like "Worser."

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: Q5XX29 on June 10, 2022, 06:19:14 AM
That is hilarious! Hopefully some justice is served.

Hi Clint,               14 June 2022

So far it hasn't been touched again. Dena ordered a video camera that can be operated remotely. Hopefully, it will arrive today. She plans to reform the thieves by making them "Movie Stars."

We are hoping the water did the trick.

Most thieves are stupid so they will probably return and have their activities captured on video.

Best Always

425 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              14 June 2022

Made a trip to the eye doc today. On the return trip noticed Diesel was $5.89.9. and Regular gas was $5.69.9 . . . . with no end in sight. Seeing empty shelves in grocery and drug stores, hoards of scum crossing our boarders illegally and no one trying to stop them. To the contrary, the welcome mat is out and they get more goodies than our own poor citizens.

I guess I wasted 8 years of my life helping protect our country. Oh, it's no longer our country, it belongs to whomever decides to trample our boarder and plop their asses wherever they feel like.

Think I'll go to the welfare office tomorrow and tell them I'm an illegal boarder jumper from "Lower Slobovia" needing Asylum (one of Al Capp's favorite places in his Li'l Abner Comic Strip). Better put on a suit and tie so they will believe me.

Glad I'm an old fart, don't have that many years remaining. Feel sorry for those of you who are under 60; you still have a long perilous road to travel. Hope I'm wrong . . . . but won't put any money on my being so.

Best Always

Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               20 June 2022

Seems as though everywhere we go there are cameras recording our images: Folks with cell phones, security cams, dash cams, body cams, doorbell cams, nanny cams, cash register cams, etc.

Are we still free?

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 20, 2022, 12:13:24 PM

Are we still free?

Hi Folks,            25 June 2022

We'll answer our own question: YES . . . . for the time being . . . .  but not as free as we once were.

Today, we attended the funeral Mass of a good friend. He was a veteran of the Vietnam war, having spent 8 years of his life fighting that war. His first four years were in the US Navy with Seal Team 3 in Nam. The next 4 were with the US Army as a Chopper Crew Chief and Door Gunner in Nam. Life expectancy was almost zilch.

He sacrificed a lot for our country, a lot more than I ever did and a heck of a lot more than most.

God Bless You David; will see you again.

Thanks for all your sacrifices for our Country.

Best Always

Dena and Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            26 June 2022

Tomorrow is another visit to the Eye Doctor; Eyeball rebuild time again. Now it's the left side. It takes about 30 minutes and is mostly done with a laser system called "LensAR Femtosecond Laser with Cassini Technology" which is NOT covered by Insurance, Medicare or Medigap Supplements.

The right eye was rebuilt about three weeks ago and is doing fine. Hope it'll be just as good for the left, which currently is like looking through a pair of glasses with Vaseline smeared on the lens. As I sit here at my desk looking at the screen with my left eye, I cannot read a thing and squinting doesn't help.

It's no wonder Dena refused to go anywhere with me if I was going to do the driving. Imagine that; I also wouldn't go anywhere with me if I was going to do the driving. I may be whacko but I'm not stupid.

Too bad they don't refund a Core charge.

Best Always

Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               28 June 2022

The deed is done, surgery seems to have gone well. Have a post surgical doc visit today at 1330 MST. I was awake and barely sedated if sedated at all. I was conscious for the whole procedure, found it interesting. When the Doctor was working on my eye he was humming tunes between conversations with his assistant.

I think the anesthesiologist goofed up and didn't really get any sedation (Propofol) into my system. I had to ask her: "When are you going to release the Propofol?" She said: "I already did." Decided to let sleeping dogs lie and didn't mention that I was NOT sedated.

When they were done they wheeled me to the "Done Did" area, unhooked all the sensors and kicked me out. I walked to the truck, Dena was there waiting for me; told her I wanted to drive so I could test my newly rebuilt eyeball. She said: If You're driving, I'm calling a cab."

Since I didn't remember zackly how to get home, I swallowed my pride and climbed in on the passenger side. Since my eyesight has been so bad, we have limited my driving to roadways with imbedded brail. Sure makes for a bumpy ride.

Time to crash for this morning.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              28 June 2022

Took the pups out this AM to a world I haven't really seen in 25 years. I can now see textures and colors as I once remember them, everything clearly defined, no more squinting, seeing the mountains surrounding us in all their majesty, all the little critters that share their world with us, stop signs and traffic lights I hadn't noticed before . . . . that's spooky.

My vision isn't perfect just yet; only out of surgery one day, but it's a great start.

I only have one complaint, and it's a major one: When I looked into the mirror this morning I could see the surgery caused me to age 35 years overnight. That's OK, they also have ways of fixing those defects too.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 28, 2022, 12:30:16 PM

Took the pups out this AM to a world I haven't really seen in 25 years. I can now see textures and colors as I once remember them, everything clearly defined, no more squinting, seeing the mountains surrounding us in all their majesty, all the little critters that share their world with us, stop signs and traffic lights I hadn't noticed before . . . . that's spooky.

My vision isn't perfect just yet; only out of surgery one day, but it's a great start.

I only have one complaint, and it's a major one: When I looked into the mirror this morning I could see the surgery caused me to age 35 years overnight. That's OK, they also have ways of fixing those defects too.

Best Always

:cheers: :2thumbs: ;)

Q5XX29

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 28, 2022, 12:30:16 PM

Best Always

That's great! Lol, yeah- people often come see me for cosmetic surgery, Botox, etc right after they get their vision fixed.  :lol:

Glad things are turning out well for you.
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Quote from: Q5XX29 on June 28, 2022, 10:50:47 PM

That's great! Lol, yeah- people often come see me for cosmetic surgery, Botox, etc right after they get their vision fixed.  :lol:

Glad things are turning out well for you.

Hi Clint,                  29 June 2022

I wish you were here in Phoenix, I'd have you fix all the time related defects and the affects of excess sun exposure. I hope to have some of it done before next summer. Planning on going to my 65th High School reunion next year if they can find enough folks willing and able to attend. Time is catching up with all of us. Some of my classmates have passed, some in nursing homes, etc. If we do have it. it will probably be the last. It's hard to believe the amount of time that has passed since those long ago youthful times. Just going to keep "Truckin" along; still have a couple items remaining in my bucket list I hope to complete.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope all is well with you, your family, pups, friends and patients. God Bless mis amigo.

Best Always

Dena and Chris

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               14 July 2022

Had my second Post op eye appointment today. All is well, eyeballs are adapting to their new reality. I can SEE !!!. Actually drove home from the eye doc apt; Dena also had her normal annual eye exam so they dilated her eyeballs which made it mandatory that I do the driving on the return trip.

The doc gave me a note for the DMV indicating I no longer need corrective lenses to drive so the restriction should be removed from my Driver License.

I am truly amazed at what it's like being able to see again without glasses. It's a whole new world out there, which I am seeing for the first time in many years. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

My knees are both shot, bone on bone. The only thing that will fix them is total knee replacement. I now need to begin my quest to find the right surgeon to do the job. That will probably take a year. Not going to let the first orthopedic surgeon I see do the job without seeing several others and obtaining numerous recommendations.

Odd thing is happening after being here 2 days shy of 7 months. It's raining big time for the first time since arriving here. Lightening, wind and heavy rain. Most likely it'll leave as fast as it arrived, hopefully after dumping enough rain to refill some of the ground water and some of the Dams.

Thanks for putting up with our posts and shenanigans.

Best Always

Christine #2 of the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            15 July 2022

Went to ADOT this AM, gave them the note from the doctor, they ordered a new Driver License for me, gave me a temp license that indicates no restrictions. Darn, that was easy.

Now for the KNEES !!! Have a feeling they won't be quite so simple or easy.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               23 July 2022

This post is for Mr. Magoo, aka Bryan.

I was in the US Navy from January 1963 to January 1969. The last two years were in-active reserve (subject to re-call). In January 1967 I was hired as an engineer at General Instrument Corp. as a contract engineer to the US Navy aboard a ship, which happened to be the first ship I was on in the NAVY. I arrived back in March of 1967, the ship was Dry Docked at the US Naval Base Yokosuka Japan. I was a Civilian Contract Engineer working for the DOD.

Now for the back story:

While in the Navy I spent most of my time working on a highly secret system. When I was transferred I reported in to a US Army base wearing civilian clothes. They in turn would supply me with transportation to get me to wherever I was ultimately supposed to be.

The system is no longer secret nor is the project. We were mapping the ocean bottom with a revolutionary Side Scan Sonar using Phased Array Sonar. At the time there were only 4 of these systems in the world, the US Navy had them and General Instrument built and maintained them.

I spent my time working on that system, most of the time 20 hours per day with a few moments taken out to have a meal or two. The system was so new there were very few engineers that knew the complete system. I taught myself that system to where I knew more about it than the engineers that designed and built it.

Mind you, I was in the Navy at this time. One day the Executive officer came into the Sonar space where I was working. He walked up to me and said: "I'm taking you off the Watch List." I asked why. He said: "You are working all the time and need some sleep." I told him I was OK and he didn't need to take me off the WL. He said he was taking me off and started to leave, so I thanked him.

About 30 minutes later our Navy Chief came storming into the Sonar Room and came up to me and got right into my face and said: "When the Exec leaves I'm going to get your ass." The Exec transferred about a month later. As soon as he was gone the Chief made good on his promise and made my life miserable.

If you know anything about the Navy in those years, there were people you just didn't screw with; they could make your life a living hell. One of my buddies was one of them; he was a Yeoman who worked at BUPERS (Bureau of Naval Personal) as a detailer, one of the people that decide where your next duty assignment would be. Hope you're starting to get the picture.

My buddy Jim, his real name, told me before he left our ship, that if anyone screwed with me to send him a note and he would see that they were: "Well Taken Care of."

As time progressed, the Chief was making an ass of himself. I sent Jim a note realizing he would "Take Care of the Chief." Not long after I received orders to one of our other ships operating out of Europe. These orders came via a friend who had a connection at BUPERS. I went there and spent a great 11 months until my time for release from active duty.

Went home for Christmas, spent a couple weeks there and the phone started ringing. Companies that had engineers aboard the ships were calling asking if I was interested in hiring on. I took General Instrument up on the offer to come to NY for an interview. Agreed on a date, got there, walked in and the head of engineering stuck out his hand for a hand shake and said: "When can you start?" I told him I could start in 2 weeks. That was the interview. It pays to be well known and liked.

Fast forward to 17 March 67, I was back aboard my original ship, now as a civilian engineer. The ship being in Dry Dock gave me time to go into town and have dinner when I felt like doing so.

One evening I decided to go to the Kobe Beef Steak House for supper. While sitting there enjoying a fantastic steak from a cow that had been fed beer and other fine food, a familiar voice behind me said: "Headley, what are you doing here?" Looked up and who did I see? It was the old Navy Chief that caused me mucho grief; he now was meeting his nemesis . . . . albeit, unbeknownst to him.

I looked him straight in the eyes and said: "It's Mr. Headley now." He sat down, uninvited and began to read me a tale of whoa. His first words were: "I haven't been home in over two years. I got orders off the Michelson straight to an LST off the coast of Vietnam and haven't had leave since before I originally came to the Michelson. I can't understand what happened." I looked at him and thought to myself: "You dumb ass, you're looking at what happened." I didn't tell him, I decided to just let him go through life "Wondering."

I spent about six and a half years at sea, two and a half in the Navy and four as a civilian. I enjoyed it, do miss it but wouldn't go back now at my ripe old age. It was a young person's game. They are still running that project, just with newer ships and equipment, and obviously younger crews.

OK Bryan, hope you enjoyed the story; It's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Now it's your turn.

Best Always

Christine, for the 426 Hemi Chicks

Edited for clarity 2030 MST 27 July 2022

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               29 July 2022

One of the things the Navy had for enlisted folks back during the time I was in (1960's) the service was a thing called a "Dream Sheet." It was a form you could fill out requesting a new duty assignment. You could submit it when your current assignment was nearing an end. It was supposed to be forwarded to BUPERS where it would be turned over to the Detailers. If what you were requesting was feasible relative to your rating, you usually got it.

Assignment aboard the ships we were on was considered "Arduous Sea Duty" which entitled us special consideration for our next duty assignment. We spent most of the year at sea, 28 day out, 7 inport. Only variation was if the ship developed problems requiring a port visit. Happened, but rarely.

I'd been submitting my dream sheets about once a month after I had been aboard over one year, with no new orders. After having submitted several DS's my buddy Jim came to me and asked me if I knew what happened to my DS's after I had submitted them. Told him I didn't know. He said: "The CO and XO shit can them (toss them in the trash)." I told him not to worry about it that I'd take care of it.

I had a good friend whose father was a high ranking Officer in the Navy. He happened to be the Admiral that ran BUPERS. So I asked my friend to ask his Dad to have me transferred to one of the two ships we had operating in Europe (The Atlantic and Mediterranean Sea). He said to write down where I wanted to go and my Service number, rank, etc. I did as he asked and he mailed them off to his Father.

I had earned a month off the ship. The ships policy was you got a month of "Basket" leave for being aboard for 6 months. When I told the XO I had been aboard over six months and had never had a month off, he asked me how long I had been aboard. I told him 15 months. He said I could have the next month off. I mentioned one of my buddies Roger Pence had been there as long as I had and had never had a month off. He said we could both take off the next month once we hit port.

When we had been in port a couple days my buddy (Jim S), who took Jim Clark's place. told me my orders were here. He said not to worry about it, the  mail is never opened until at least three days after we sail.

So off Roger and I went; off to an R & R Army Base in Yokohama Japan. Once we got settled in it was comfortable. Private rooms, 24 x 7 Chow Hall and no restrictions on our comings and goings. It was quite nice until we realized that many of our compadre's there were young soldiers from Vietnam on a two week break from WAR.

The chow hall had Armed Forces Radio piped in playing it over the chow hall PA system. One day a song came on with the following partial lyrics: "I Wanna Go Home" .... and was muted until the song was over. At first we didn't realize what had happened. But a couple days later the same thing happened and we then knew that it was muted on purpose. They didn't want the R & R soldiers to be reminded of home. We then realized many of them would never get home alive and some so broken life going on would be hell. That has haunted me ever since.

That was 57 years ago. I never knew who wrote that song or sang it until last year. I searched the net for "I wanna go home" and found it to be "Detroit City" by Bobby Bare. It was on YouTube, played it and there were the haunting words and music I heard long ago. I still think of those young men and wonder and hope that they all made it back OK. I also know that's wishful thinking. When I look back on it, those young soldiers sacrifices were all for naught.

When our R & R time was up we went back to the ship. As soon as we got there I went to the office to see my friend. He told me what happened once they were at sea. It was mail opening day, he went through the stack like nothing unusual was going to take place. He came to an envelop from BUPERS and said: "Someone got orders." The CO and XO were there and asked: "Who got orders?" My buddy fumbled around with the letter like he was opening it for the first time and then said: "Headley." The XO and CO shouted out: "That S O B, we're not going to let him have his orders." I told him not to worry about it, that I'd take care of it.

An hour later I returned to the office. There stood the XO. I said: "Mr. Pope, I understand you're not going to let me have my orders." He said: "That's correct." I then asked him if I could speak to the CO. He said: "Go ahead but it won't do you any good." I thanked him and went down to the CO's state room, knocked on his door. He said to come in. I said to him: "I understand you're not going to let me have my orders." He said that was correct. He and the XO knew who my friend's Father was. So I decided to lay all my cards on the table. I said to him: "My orders came from someone higher in this Navy than you'll ever be; if you don't let me have my orders, I will send him a telegram." The CO sat there looking down for a long time. Everyone on the ship knew they weren't going to let me have my orders. He had painted himself into a corner. Eventually he came up with a face saving proposal. He said: "We are going out on a two week sea trial, You ride the trial and you can have your orders." I told him I would and did I have his word on it. He said: "Yes you have my word."

Went back to the office, told the XO the CO said I could have my orders and that all I had to do was ride the two week sea trial. We returned from the 2 week sea trial, I got my orders and left for Tachikawa Air Force Base in Tokyo Japan. I had 47 days leave and ten days travel time. Next stop, Brooklyn Army Terminal.

Met my next ship in Lisboa, Portugal, February 1966. It was a great duty assignment with a great crew. We hit several interesting ports: Belfast Ireland, Lisboa Portugal, Liverpool England, Barcelona, Santander and Rota Spain. We visited Belfast, Lisboa and Spain numerous times. My favorite? All of them!

Some may think the things I did while in the service were unethical. Maybe you are right; I see it as insuring I was never successfully used as a door mat.

Most of the folks on the ships were good upstanding patriotic Americans. In any large group of people you're going to find a few worthless individuals. In the older Navy, those folks usually ended up taking long swims.

That's the way it was....

Best Always

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              29 July 2022

This month in 1972, don't remember the exact date, we bought our 69 Hemi Daytona and 70 Hemi Cuda. The Daytona has survived and has a great parent in Bob Jennings. Sadly the Hemi Cuda only lasted about a year after we sold it in 1975. We were glad to get rid of it back then; wish we still had it.

We had the Daytona 48 years, Bob said he will keep it longer. We plan to stick around to make sure he keeps his word.

Bob, we hope you're having a great time on your trip north. Please stay Safe and Healthy. God Bless Amigo.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 07 August 2022

Just wondering, does Twitter own this web site?

Darn weather here, cooled off a good bit yesterday; got down to 105 during the day.

Actually it's monsoon season so the weather can be iffy, like sprinkles every once in a while.

Watched a presentation of Brian Shul about his days in the Air Force. Have seen it numerous times and enjoy it every time. He was a SR-71 driver. His presentation at the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory is one of the best we have ever seen. It's about one hour ten and worth every second. Do a Google search to find the link; will add it later today.

OK, here it is two days late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI

If you've never seen it, it's worth the hour ten.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              09 August 2022

Posted the link 2 days late. Sorry, it's in this post as well as the one above; two for the price of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI

Take Care and hope you enjoy Brian's presentation.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  19 August 2022

Tanked up la troka con 89 mid Wednesday 17 August at the local QT at exit 76 of AZ loop 202; 9.414 gal, $40.00 total.

Fuel price update:

87 $3.99.9
89 $4.24.9
91 $4.49.9

Diesel $4.65.9

These prices seem a bit better than in town.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 19 August 2022

Tomorrow is Dena's 39th birthday, OK, it's a bit more but who's counting? For certain, not me.

Aside from giving lectures and presentation's Brian Shul has written several books about the SR-71. Dena has enjoyed his presentations and videos so unbeknownst to her, I ordered her a signed presentation set of Sled Driver by Brian Shul. It arrived Wednesday. She loves it. It's a coffee table book loaded with photos and stories of Brian Shul's exploits flying the Sled.

If you like flying, we think you would enjoy this book.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  25 August 2022

Today's my mom's Birthday. If she were alive, she'd be 106 Happy Birthday Mom. Hope you are upstairs. All is forgiven, which I hope is mutual.

Started on a new adventure today. Made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to get my knees repaired or replaced. First appointment is Monday 26 September 2022. The one thing I did have in Fort Worth that I don't have here is a large bank of specialists that I personally know. So I guess we will have to rely on what we find on the internet about this doctor and what happens at my first appointment. I hope I come away with a big warm fuzzy.

My knees are SHOT. I've already had three surgeries on them, 04, 06, 07. After the last the doc said I won't tear my meniscus again cause there isn't enough left too tear. I know I left them go too long and now they have become a mobility issue.

Tuesday I went to Dena's truck facility where I had to climb and descend stairs. Holy shit, it was an eye opening effort. Couldn't believe how screwed up my knees are. By the way, going up is easier than going down.

This is all my fault; went skiing where I should never have been. Not satisfied with the easy stuff, I had to go for the "Double Black Diamond" runs. Guess I did help support the local Emergency Departments. Won't be skiing any time soon . . . . if ever again.

Been home over 8 months, we have had about an inch and a half of rain and maybe 10 cloudy days. I sure ain't complaining. Phoenix has been getting some decent rain, just not this area of the Valley. Roosevelt Dam has come up a bit so that's a positive. Lake Meade is also getting a boost in its water level, albeit small but on the positive side.

Time we head to Home De'Pot to pick up a few small items needed for furniture repairs. For some reason furniture does take a hit during a move.

Last but not least, the rebuilt eyeballs are doing fine.

Take Care Folks

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Bob T

Hey - just to say, really enjoyed reading about your Navy service and going back as a civilian contractor and especially being involved in a specialist program -  good efforts and well recounted, a very interesting time to be alive and working on ships and seeing the world.

I'm also a former Seafarer, industrial electrician then turned it into marine based with work on Navy vessels as a civvy contractor then overseas in UAE, Germany, Italy and USA on mega yacht builds, commissioning, sea trials and latterly as crew - an absolute highlight of my career and life, not much beats being out on a vessel with a good crew in all weathers.

Back at it on land now due to the events of the last few years...

Just as an aside - gas prices here in New Zealand are waaaaay above what you're paying - currently a Litre or 91 octane is $2.71. ( 1 Litre = 0.264 of a US Gallon. ) Over 50% of the price is excise tax.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Bob T on August 26, 2022, 01:52:18 AM
Hey - just to say, really enjoyed reading about your Navy service and going back as a civilian contractor and especially being involved in a specialist program -  good efforts and well recounted, a very interesting time to be alive and working on ships and seeing the world.

I'm also a former Seafarer, industrial electrician then turned it into marine based with work on Navy vessels as a civvy contractor then overseas in UAE, Germany, Italy and USA on mega yacht builds, commissioning, sea trials and latterly as crew - an absolute highlight of my career and life, not much beats being out on a vessel with a good crew in all weathers.

Back at it on land now due to the events of the last few years...

Just as an aside - gas prices here in New Zealand are waaaaay above what you're paying - currently a Litre or 91 octane is $2.71. ( 1 Litre = 0.264 of a US Gallon. ) Over 50% of the price is excise tax.

Hi Bob,                  26 August 2022

Thanks for your post and kind words. It seems you have had an adventurous time at sea and around the world. There is something mystical being at sea. Loved it, especially as a civilian. I know exactly what you are saying.

There have been times I wished I had gone back and didn't. Now at 82, it would be a challenge, long ladders to climb, medical help skimpy at best. Rode out many Typhoons in the Pacific, swam over the deepest spot in the world (10,920 ± 10 m (35,827 ± 33 ft) deep), the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. The pressure at that depth is: "The CTD measured pressure at 10,928 m (35,853 ft) of seawater depth was 1,126.79 bar (112.679 MPa; 16,342.7 psi)." 6.78 miles deep, deeper than I'd want to go. It was an honor to swim over it.

The highlighted data above came from Wikipedia, not my brain.

Glad we're not paying what you have to pay for petrol; guess we shouldn't complain so much.

We did a lot of drinking in those days. I usually went to sea with 30 cases of beer, which was gone before we returned 28 days later. I didn't consume it all, it was there for parties we had in the evenings. Getting it aboard was easy, getting rid of the empties was an adventure. Late night forays topside to dispose of the empties; almost went over the side one night during a Typhoon while on a trash run.

More later.

Thanks again Bob.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: 426HemiChick on August 26, 2022, 04:26:04 AM
We did a lot of drinking in those days. I usually went to sea with 30 cases of beer, which was gone before we returned 28 days later. I didn't consume it all, it was there for parties we had in the evenings. Getting it aboard was easy, getting rid of the empties was an adventure. Late night forays topside to dispose of the empties; almost went over the side one night during a Typhoon while on a trash run.

More later.

Thanks again Bob.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Hi Folks,                29 August 2022

Forgot to mention that Beer was only $4.00 for a case of 24 and a carton of cigarettes was $1.00. Can't get a 6-pack for twice that these days and haven't a clue as to what "Smokes" cost.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks