News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Connection melted at firewall

Started by nrt69, April 04, 2021, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

nrt69

Ok I'm sure I still have plenty of electrical gremlins to figure out but turns out that wasn't my problem. At least not THE main problem.
It was......a friggin vacuum leak at the back of the manifold. The rubber nipple I had capped off apparently fell off.  :-\

Sendero

My ammeter melted last year yet the bulkhead disconnect was not burnt which was odd. I was running on a year-old Power Master alternator and battery when the smoked dash event occurred.

I did apply a good amount of dielectric grease to the bulkhead disconnect terminals some years prior  which may be the reason why the bulkhead disconnect may have not burnt.

Just wrapping up the dash wiring now and I will be doing the bypass of the ammeter tactic and the direct feed of the battery from the alternator via the Starter Solenoid terminal.

And I will do the Bosch headlight relay to take more amps away for the dash.

A question: Did the 1970 Charger use a headlamp delay relay given the hideaway doors? If so, where does the relay mount?

metallicareload99

Quote from: Sendero on June 27, 2021, 08:48:43 PM
My ammeter melted last year yet the bulkhead disconnect was not burnt which was odd. I was running on a year-old Power Master alternator and battery when the smoked dash event occurred.

I did apply a good amount of dielectric grease to the bulkhead disconnect terminals some years prior  which may be the reason why the bulkhead disconnect may have not burnt.

Just wrapping up the dash wiring now and I will be doing the bypass of the ammeter tactic and the direct feed of the battery from the alternator via the Starter Solenoid terminal.

And I will do the Bosch headlight relay to take more amps away for the dash.

A question: Did the 1970 Charger use a headlamp delay relay given the hideaway doors? If so, where does the relay mount?

The ammeter can short out between it's terminals and the gauge itself.  The insulation seems to be only cardboard :rotz:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth