News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Kick down or passing gear

Started by 73chgrSE, April 04, 2021, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I can't get it to kick down into 2nd gear if i'm cruising at say 45 mph in 3rd. I have extended the rod all the way. I even got the throttle lever extension that is recommended for my street demon carb. (had a carter afb before). I have 3 different types of throttle studs and have tried all combination with of without the extender. It seems like I am getting full travel and it appears to be all the way back at WOT. Could it be something else with the trans?? Recently rebuilt but maybe they did something wrong. I feel like I've read every thread and seen every youtube video on the subject but still not able to dial it in.

400 magnum 727 trans, street demon 750 cfm.

Thanks in advance.

John_Kunkel

First, have somebody sit in the can and floor the throttle, then, from under the hood, push back on the carb lever to make sure the carb is at WOT. If not, adjust the throttle cable.

Then, at WOT, push back on the TP linkage to be sure it moves the transmission NEAR full back. If not, adjust the linkage so it is.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Right, "sit in the car" (can is typo)

73chgrSE

Trust me, I have done this procedure to death over the last several months. my only guess now is it's the kick down band or it need to be adjusted by the screw.(really hard to get to without a lift). Or maybe it's something to do with the valve body itself.

John_Kunkel

If it upshifts 1-2 during normal operation, the band adjustment isn't the problem. On rare occasions, the weld at the bottom of the shaft that operates the kickdown valve will break and cause your problem. This can usually be felt by disconnecting the linkage and  operating the lever by hand; instead of a firm stop at both ends of the lever travel, you might feel a "notch"...;kinda hard to describe.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

I know the pain trying to find correct kick down linkage/settings.  :brickwall: