News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Micrometer choice

Started by flyinlow, April 08, 2021, 11:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

In preparation for assembling an engine I was looking at micrometers. I have an older set of Starrett's with standards. I am looking at a Mitutoyo Digital 2-3 outside Micrometer. Easier to read (old eyes) ,auto off/on and it claims accuracy to  .00005.

I have an older 4-5 Mitutoyo mic. seams like a quality tool.  Any opinions?  

Mitutoyo 293-342-30 Digimatic Outside Micrometer, 2-3"/50.8-76.2 mm, 0.00005"/0.001 mm with Standard Ratchet Stop

RiverRaider

I have both Starrett and Mitutoyo machinist tools and have always been happy with both.  I do not have any digital micrometers but I have digital indicators, calipers and DRO for one of my mills
are made by Mitutoyo, no problems ever.  Let us know how you like it.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

flyinlow

I discovered Ideal Precision. (Columbus ,Ohio , local for me) They sell and service many precision tools. They also have a great selection of used ,reconditioned tools so I bought a 0-1,  1-2,  and a 2-3 digital Mitutoyo mics that fit the budget. 

I started trying them out and they are really nice. Faster to use ,easier for older eyes that need reading glasses now.

Challenger340

Yeah I'm experiencing the 'old eyes' problem as well.... need ever more magnification glasses reading the Mics, which even more concerning is the 'time' factor actually holding on to the Mics longer to read them which the heat of your hand expands the Mic and can add .0002" to .0003" to the readings in a controlled 72* environment Shop.
Not uncommon to begin Mic'ing/recording a Crank 'top to bottom' as I'm getting slower.....
only to come back an hour later after everything cooled again,
and find re-measuring 'bottom to top' this time.....  shows journals actually larger at the bottom now ?

morale of the story as we age/get slower....
be careful how long we HOLD the Mics when measuring as well.... because they can GROW as much as .0005" from the Heat of your hands !
Only wimps wear Bowties !