News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are our cars worth? Watch this and tell me what you think?

Started by lloyd3, April 09, 2021, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lloyd3

I did. The condition of the car and what they discovered later about it's condition was pretty telling for me. I know Shelby 500s are in a different stratosphere than more run-of-the mill Mopars but what he spent to get it and what it cost to bring it to the point where he now drives it were pretty enlightening for me.  That car is well over $130K now and it still looks kind-of tough to me in many ways. He clearly loves it, which is fine, but it shows what the more original cars are now doing as far as value, even the perhaps less-desirable colored cars.  The market is clearly evolving for the more-obscure muscle cars from the 60s and they're not all red, and not all perfect. The expression about rising tides lifting all the boats comes to mind. Just the final cost of doing the surprisingly little amount of work that they actually did (almost no paint, minimal interior work, etc.) was a stunner for me. Yes...I know it's a Shelby, but it's still a rusty and dented old car with a torn dash. All of that and still $70K to do it?  Like I said, an eye opener for me (at least).

RallyeMike

I agree with you that there is a mystique attached to unrestored cars that is growing. As with anything that is gaining in popularity, the $'s will follow.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

Why was the OP banned? He messaged me at FBBO and stated that he cannot get on the site.

hemigeno

No one banned him as far as I know.  His profile does not reflect that. 

Sometimes not clearing out cache and/or logging in through a VPN can cause odd issues like that.

It definitely wasn't me or any of the other Moderators (we cannot ban members) and I doubt Troy did so.  It's an electronic gremlin of some sort. 

Sorry I'm not more help than that. 

Kern Dog

lloyd3

Thanks to Kern Dog, Hemigeno and Troy (& my tech-savvy wife)....I'm back. Technology is clearly not always our friend.

Kern Dog

dreamcatcher

Good story! I don't get on here much but I do watch. Anything you do to a car that is yours is right (at least in your own mind) and that is all that matters. I am about to finish my 68 charger and have been asked why I reused trim that shows its age with dings and scratches. Even though I painted mine a different color than original (but a 68 color) and I installed an early 426 wedge. I still feel that it is right to use as many original parts as I can that came on the car. I like show cars as much as the next guy. But I can also appreciate what was done in keeping an original car as original as it can be. I only dream of finding one so original that I can make that choice. Over all great story thanks for sharing. After all it is not really about a value if it is what makes you happy.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Challenger340

As long as they're still in decent shape to begin with and not too far gone it's a labor of love..... especially while you are still driving/enjoying them.

I haven't spent anywhere near what he has.... but I've been able to maintain almost all the original stuff in place on mine my by spending a little extra $ and performing the labor myself.

One of the hardest ones was getting the Brake Booster apart to replace the Diaphram without damaging anything ? and working under the dash was a PITA !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Kern Dog

It needs TO BE driven.
The car doesn't needs restored, it needs to be restored.
The car isn't for sell. It is for sale.

:2thumbs: