News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A41 kit from SST - stall choice and carb questions

Started by OzCharger69, April 13, 2021, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzCharger69

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting the A41 stage 3 kit for my 69 with the 383 and 391 gears at the back. Pricey kit but seems well designed. It's not for the purists I know but I want good overdrive and gear spread. I'm not keen on a gear vendors unit. I had a couple of questions -

1) What's a good stall converter choice - they offer 2000,2400 and 2700. I currently have a 2000 which feels too tight. I'm thinking 2400 would be a good in between. Mind you there are plans for a 512 stroker in the near future.

2) I currently have a Holley 770 Street Avenger on the 383 which runs like a beauty. The manual clearly states not to use it in a Chrysler with overdrive because it will damage the transmission. I'm not sure it's the case with such a modern electronically controlled gearbox running a TPS.

Thanks for any advice!

Chris

Kern Dog

The Holley carburetors usually need a throttle adapter to get to the Mopar pattern. The part number is 20-7.
As far as stall speed, that is really dependent on the gearing, the cam and the cubic inches. What you choose for the 383 may not be right for the next engine that you choose. IF it is a lockup converter, your only drawback of going a little loose now is that the throttle response may be a little soft on light throttle. The OD that SST sells has a 3.06 first gear so that does help alleviate some of the lag you might feel with a loose converter.
If you are sure that you are going with the bigger engine, I'd buy the converter that suits that combination and deal with whatever drawbacks you have until the combination is fully sorted out.

Charger_Dart

I have been running the older version of the SST kit when it was sold by Keisler Engineering. Its been 10 years now and I still think it was the right choice for my 68 Charger. I went with what they called a 2300-2900 stall converter which as Kern said is loose at lower rpm's but when it locks up its tight. I have 3.91 gears and a 500ci block. I really love the combo and it just seems right for the car. I have run a couple different Holley's over the years and currently I have a Pro-Form carb on it now. I can't think of a single reason they would not want you to run a Holley carb...   As Kern said you just need the 20-7 adapter and it works flawlessly. Just seems odd they would say that.  The install went really smooth and only required a slight tweak to the transmission tunnel that is under the console so nobody will ever see it. Its so small I don't think anyone would ever know.

To sum it up, I really drive my Charger as much as possible and I think it one of the best mods I have ever done to it.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

OzCharger69

Thanks Kern Dog

Dart , that is so reassuring. I have been tossing and turning between the A41 and the TKX install but I just want to be able to drive and relax behind the wheel without shifting.

Kern Dog

Quote from: OzCharger69 on April 14, 2021, 04:10:22 PM
Thanks Kern Dog

Dart , that is so reassuring. I have been tossing and turning between the A41 and the TKX install but I just want to be able to drive and relax behind the wheel without shifting.

Oh...I can get that BUT the 5 speed is SO much more fun!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,139198.0.html

OzCharger69

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 14, 2021, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: OzCharger69 on April 14, 2021, 04:10:22 PM
Thanks Kern Dog

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,139198.0.html

Oh please don't open that can of worms!! I always wanted a manual Charger but this bloody Auto grew on me!

Kern Dog

Yeah...
I don't have a lot of experience with manual transmissions but I am enjoying this. In a funny way, it reminds me of sex.....I may not be that great at it but I am having fun regardless!   :lol:

John_Kunkel

Until you're stuck in a miles-long traffic jam.  :'(
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

I have been there before. You're right. I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it.

OzCharger69

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 14, 2021, 08:41:08 PM
Yeah...
I don't have a lot of experience with manual transmissions but I am enjoying this. In a funny way, it reminds me of sex.....I may not be that great at it but I am having fun regardless!   :lol:

Damn you KernDog  :brickwall: :brickwall: :lol:

Now you got me thinking again, you reignited my manual desires. I might have another look at your install thread.

Kern Dog

I had a Gear Vendors unit 9 years ago. The rpm drop did help. The one I had was an early model and with it, there were a few quirks that the subsequent models didn't have.
I did consider the A41. The automatics are more convenient for cruising, no argument there.
What swayed me to the 5 speed was that......IF I was going to spend the money on an overdrive swap, I wanted a drastic change. Going to a manual transmission is just that for me. THis is the only manual transmission vehicle I have here. I currently have two trucks and a few cars here and the red Charger is the "Jewel" of the line-up. I wanted to reinvigorate my interest in the car and do something to enjoy it more.
It worked! Hearing the engine rev up and down through the gear changes is just music to me.
The Pistol Grip shifter is just waaay cool. I've never sat in a car with one. The shifter is right where your hand is naturally.
The shift throws are shorter than an 833. The hydraulic clutch is smooth. THe transmission is quiet. Once you reach the .64 5th overdrive, the rpms drop off so much it makes the car so much more civilized.
I hear of the guys that install EFI in their rowdy big block and they talk about how the car runs so much better than before.....I'm not to that point yet (May never be) but there is some satisfaction in driving a beautiful classic that doesn't wear you out with road noise and vibrations!

OzCharger69

Thanks KD for the detailed explanation.

Your TKO should be very similar to the TKX. Did you go with close or wide ratio?

Also did the kit come the pistol grip or ball shifter?

Kern Dog

The TKO I got is the close ratio. I didn't need the 3.27 1st gear. A smaller engine would benefit from the extra gearing in the wide ratio transmission though.
If I recall, the close ratio transmission could have had the ,64 or .82 overdrive. I chose the .64.
I looked at it like this: The 727 has a 2.45 1st gear. The 2.87 1st gear of this TKO was just fine. The gear spacing feels pretty good. It does not feel like the rpms drop too much between gears. I had an overdrive 833 in a Duster. THAT one sucked! First gear was 3.09, second gear dropped off a cliff at something like 1.67.
I may be wrong but I think that SST is trending toward the TKX as a replacement for the TKO. That may be why I got a deal when I ordered last year. The TKX has some advantages but none that directly affected me. Slightly more compact, it also has the ability to better handle shifts over 6000 rpms. I don't run mine to 6000 rpms and over much so that didn't matter. I had a price quote of approx $6600 about 2 years ago, then when I called in December of last year, the price had dropped to $5978. Hard to beat a discount like that!

moparstuart

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 15, 2021, 12:40:59 PM

Until you're stuck in a miles-long traffic jam.  :'(
its really not that bad  with a hydrolic clutch its so easy  . Now the original heman petal clutch, in a traffic jams do suck  . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

OzCharger69

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 15, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
The TKO I got is the close ratio. I didn't need the 3.27 1st gear. A smaller engine would benefit from the extra gearing in the wide ratio transmission though.
If I recall, the close ratio transmission could have had the ,64 or .82 overdrive. I chose the .64.
I looked at it like this: The 727 has a 2.45 1st gear. The 2.87 1st gear of this TKO was just fine. The gear spacing feels pretty good. It does not feel like the rpms drop too much between gears. I had an overdrive 833 in a Duster. THAT one sucked! First gear was 3.09, second gear dropped off a cliff at something like 1.67.
I may be wrong but I think that SST is trending toward the TKX as a replacement for the TKO. That may be why I got a deal when I ordered last year. The TKX has some advantages but none that directly affected me. Slightly more compact, it also has the ability to better handle shifts over 6000 rpms. I don't run mine to 6000 rpms and over much so that didn't matter. I had a price quote of approx $6600 about 2 years ago, then when I called in December of last year, the price had dropped to $5978. Hard to beat a discount like that!

I'm pretty much sold on the TKX. I went through your and watermelon's writeup and I'm more and more convinced it's the right choice. Thanks for the sway!!

Kern Dog

Ha ha....Watermelon took awhile to finish his swap.  I did follow along and poked some fun at him for updates.
I tried to detail my installation at FBBO as best that I could. I sometimes over-explain but I figured that I'd let the readers skim past the redundant chatter and sift through for what information they need. I don't like to read a thread topic and feel like the author skipped over the details. Those little details can really slow down a project.

I just took a 70 mile trip today to a car show just outside of town. The car is so much more comfortable on the freeway than it was before. I've swapped in 3.23 gears for road trips before and while it did help some, the final drive of the 3.55 with .64 overdrive is 2.27. 80 mph at about 2000 rpms? Score!

Kern Dog

The shift lever (Whatever the proper term is...) for the Pistol Grip design for my console equipped car:

moparstuart

any pistol grip shifter handle hurst mopar style set up will mount up if you get the correct shifter tower with the correct mount .  Like above

moparstuart

My six speed grips on a 72 b body shifter direct from hurst. They even have the grips

OzCharger69

Thanks KD and Stuart

I think this is the right one https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1970-B-Body-Non-Console-Pistol-Grip-Shifter-Handle/164684235282?hash=item2657f20212:g:zo8AAOSwCa1gGxdj

As KD mentioned in a message, the console shifter is not the right one because of that horse extension to go around the stock 4 speed tranny.

Kern Dog

As I mentioned, Silver Sport may have ordered their own design to be made to fit the central mounted shift connection of the Tremec.
I don't think a stock 4 speed lever will work. plus the shift pattern on top would be wrong.

OzCharger69

So the question begs, where did you get yours?

moparstuart

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 18, 2021, 03:11:23 PM
As I mentioned, Silver Sport may have ordered their own design to be made to fit the central mounted shift connection of the Tremec.
I don't think a stock 4 speed lever will work. plus the shift pattern on top would be wrong.
you can change out the shifter pattern it's a separate part from the grips.

Kern Dog

Quote from: OzCharger69 on April 18, 2021, 03:19:10 PM
So the question begs, where did you get yours?
MIne was part of the kit. Mine was an additional cost over the standard ball shift version.
The OP here was asking about the shifter lever...I mentioned that member Derwud had one for sale. I thought it might save him some off of the SST price of $300  or so.