News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rust in the seams.

Started by BrugeeRT, April 14, 2021, 06:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

I was just wondering if there was any creative ideas out there to address the lurking rust that lays between the seams when you pull two body panels apart.   I don't have anywhere close that I can dip the body and I know blasting isn't going to touch it.  It would be nice if there was some kind of rust converter that could seep in and penetrate.   Seperating every body panel doesn't sound like a fun time either.  Anybody have any good ideas?
Mark

b5blue

Eastwood makes a can of stuff for inside of frame/body. I have used OSPHO for rust and Penetrol to seal also.

Kern Dog

What about spraying Evaporust in there?

BrugeeRT

I have used the Eastwood for body cavities and it works great.   Im looking for the area where two panels overlap with spot welds that is maybe a half an inch wide.  Maybe Im crazy worrying about it but every panel I have taken off has rust in that area.   Currently i want to treat the seam between the deck lid and sail panel and don't want to take off the deck lid.    The OSPHO (never used it before) sounds like it might do the trick with a couple of treatments and I like the fact it converts and forms a protective barrier.   The specs also says it has the consistency of water so it should penetrate.  Evaporust is not a bad idea either but I would think it would more clean the metal if I can get it to sit long enough but then what about a protective barrier?   Thank you both for the suggestions.
Mark

Dano 1

Fluid film could be a good option if you're looking to mostly protect the inside of the seams. It's a parafin wax based corrosion inhibitor that's sold in aerosol cans or bulk for use in sprayers. The aerosol can with a straw might be enough to blast down into the seams and get you some protection.

https://www.fluid-film.com/
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

b5blue

The high acid OSPHO gets flushed with water and when dry coat with the thin Penetrol to seal. I've used both in a old spray bottle like for 409 or window cleaner. I've even adapted the Eastwood spray wand (Long thin tube with a spray tip) to a spray bottle to get inside frame and other can't reach areas.  :scratchchin: