News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else have trouble with hi-torq starters fitting?

Started by AKcharger, April 15, 2021, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

So I bought a hi-torq starter just because it was supposed to be better...it didn't fit and I re-installed original starter. Then I thought it over and if I moved the wire attach points it might work...tried again...nope lower hole too small and it is cocked . reinstalled original again.

anyone elese have this issue on a B-engine?

P.S. brand new starter for sale cheap!

Kern Dog

The one thing that I have noticed is that the location of the solenoid on the starter does matter. You can have the starter be smaller but if that solenoid sticks out and contacts the headers, the length or width of the starter motor won't matter. Too bad you can't "clock" the solenoid on the starter body, huh?

doctor4766

I ordered a mini starter when my standard starter crapped out.
Since the standard starter required removal of the driver's side header it made sense to go to the mini starter and not have the same issue down the track.
My mechanic called me and said it wouldn't fit so I called the supplier and he told me there was a section that needed to be removed if you were fitting it to a big block, somewhere around the solenoid he said.
Anyway, it now fits but the terminals are close to the header and had to be insulated somewhat.
Could be the same issue you're having?
Hope my description makes sense
Gotta love a '69

AKcharger

Quote from: doctor4766 on April 16, 2021, 12:23:16 AM
...My mechanic called me and said it wouldn't fit so I called the supplier and he told me there was a section that needed to be removed if you were fitting it to a big block, somewhere around the solenoid he said.

Sounds like my issue

B5 - Doodad relocated, actually removed and used studs directly off the starter. That cured the 1st fit issue but second was more structural, I think it's what doc said above. not important old one works fine

gsmopar

I've used both the late model Dakota/Ram starter as well as the aftermarket Powermaster.  The only difference I can tell is the clockable feature on the Powermaster.  No issues with fitment on either.

Untitled by Greg Ault, on Flickr

IMG_2654 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

IMG_2662 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

IMG_2661 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

John_Kunkel

For some installations ya just gotta bite the bullet. This is my buddy's '33 Willys with a frame rail too close for any starter but the robbmc, solenoid had to be clocked straight down.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.