News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Turn Signal Help for Column with Key Light

Started by DanielG, April 27, 2021, 10:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielG

Hello All,

71 Charger SE auto on the column with key light.  Restored column installed and key light has never worked.  Turn signal arm now just hangs and does not work.  I am assuming turn signal switch needs to be replaced.  But I want to be sure I am replacing with part that will work.  It seems I may need 2947905 or possibly 2947503.  3488805 is the more common replacement but has extra harness for cars with cornering light like C bodies.  Cornering lights are white light near front corners of cars that lit when turn signal is on.  Extra harness for cornering lights would just be secured out of way if not needed.  3488804 is more common turn signal switch but does not have extra harness for cornering lights.  I believe the key light is more common on later Chargers and even E-Bodies 73-74.  If necessary would it be possible to make key light work some other way?  Do I need 2947905 or possibly 2947503 to make key light work again?

Thanks guys.

Nacho-RT74

The CORRECT turning signal switch for 70s and earliers 71s with the thin hazzard knob used on B and E bodies ( some activated being pulled out, and some being pushed in ) which accepts the internal key light bulb setup with an S shaped duct is not available as repro or chinesse replacement. Any switch you get will be for the laters model which gets the thick hazzard knob for the exposed bulb key light ( non internal ) with a cap

In fact not even the newer "Mopar" replacement using the old PNs, either with cornering light harness or not is available anymore ( or not like latelly at least, except some old stock at some dealer ) but just the chinessium replacement with the yellow cancelling cam and diff harnesss color setup. The Mopar replacement still doesn't have the correct horn stud with the roller anyway.

You have three options:
-trim the replacement switch to accept the colum hole provision and the key light
-replace the collar column and key light for the later models setup to get the new switch and not need for the hazzad knob trim
-fix the switch with a new cancelling cam which is available nowdays. Diff experiences about that fix.

Pics and info about the diff setups here

https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/thread/22548/changing-turn-signal-switch
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

DanielG

Thanks Nacho. I have reviewed the link but I need to read again.  I think I have the later style thick hazzard knob and exposed key light.  In fact, from an old Moparts post, I think it is exactly what you have Nacho.  Car is together and running.  Restoration was completed in 2018.  Column was sent out and rebuilt.  But I'm not sure what parts were used.  Probably just the cheap repo.  Exposed key light is present but does not light up.  I will have to pull steering wheel and see.  Any tips on how to do that would be helpful. Any clarification on how to make the key light work would be great as well.  My current flasher pulls out to turn on.  I may be wrong but the numbers are as follows:

3488805 has harness for cornering lights that I would just secure out of way since I don't need.  It pulls out to turn on.  Can it work with key light?
3488804 does not have harness for cornering light and pulls out to turn on.  Can it work with key light?
2947905 is rare and expensive but is correct for cars with key light

Nacho-RT74

The 804 is the correct one for half 71 and laters. Thick hazzard knob and external key light.

Switch is the same with cars getting the key light or not, just with no key light the column got a plastic filler into the hole.

805 is the same switch but it was originally with the cornering lights feature back in the days BUT latelly the 804 PN replaced it making them a just one PN for everything and you will use or not the cornering lights pigtail.

The MP are really hard to come by latelly as mentioned, but just the aftermarket replacements are easy to come by.

The 29xxxxx series ( there are more than one ) are the earliers with thin hazzard knob, either being push in or pull out for get them on ( 70/first 71 half B or E body )

On these the switch was the same having or not the key light, because the hazzard knob got the provision already molded in and the column got the cut for it BUT the hazzard knob itself was designed to hide it. So if you didn't got the key light, didn't even need a filler to hide the hole, since the hazzard knob was made to make it

Yes they are expensive because just NOS are available. The 804/805 it was cheaper because MP decided to get them made again maybe a decade ago?. These late MP replacements weren't like the original ones with the roller for the horn switch contact, but a basic plain stud spring loaded. That's how you can recognize they are MP replacements and not NOS from back in the days

There is another supersedes PN for the 804s which begins on 40xxxxx. Can recall right now the full PN.

Once again... you can try to replace the canceling cam since they are available and is cheaper to proceed with that. If something fails, is just about get the full replacement, but the newer 804 switch is not available anymore like some years ago, just chinessium replacements at regular part dealers.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html