News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Size air cleaner 440 Magnum

Started by Douwe, May 04, 2021, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douwe

I am rebuilding my 69 R / T with 440 and am looking for a dual snorkel air filter. I can buy several with single snorkel but can make an additional one. What is the correct outside diameter for an original filter housing?

XH29N0G

You may already know about this.  I usually look here (https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm) when sorting out air cleaners.  I believe it is accurate.  

Unfortunately I don't know the diameter.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Post in the "Parts Wanted" section here and on other forums.  :2thumbs:

Douwe

Thanks, and yes i know the site from Nick's garage.
Here in the area (Netherlands) i can buy two different air cleaners, one from a 1968 Chrysler 300 with a diameter from 19 inch and another with a diameter of 14 inch. Both with one snorkel, but i can make it double.
which one would be closest to the original ?

XH29N0G

I wish I knew the answer for a 1969.  Someone may.  IF they do not reply, I suggest another post that has a title something like "Is the diameter of the 1969 RT aircleaner 14 inch or 19 inch?  and then see what happens.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Challenger340

Quote from: Douwe on May 04, 2021, 11:02:29 AM
I am rebuilding my 69 R / T with 440 and am looking for a dual snorkel air filter. I can buy several with single snorkel but can make an additional one. What is the correct outside diameter for an original filter housing?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here ?

But if you are 'rebuilding' yours ?
you may wish to investigate what Air Cleaner yours originally cam with.....

because as far as I know, and I could be wrong.... but...
most 1969 Charger R/T 440 Magnums were an UN-Silenced Air Cleaner weren't they ? (no snorkels).....
Like this one

unless,
yours is an "N97" Code "California Noise Reduction Pkg" for California Sale Only Charger R/T which was Dual short Snorkel Air Cleaner ?
similar to this one

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Douwe

Thanks, yes I am rebuilding mine so far, but it's gonna be a General Lee.
The VIN starts with XS29L9B, so it should not be a California car, also there is no code N97 on the build sheet or fender tag.
Then i should use a unsilenced air cleaner. also very nice to see but I was always thinking there should be an dual snorkel on it.

Challenger340

Quote from: Douwe on May 10, 2021, 01:37:07 PM
Thanks, yes I am rebuilding mine so far, but it's gonna be a General Lee.
The VIN starts with XS29L9B, so it should not be a California car, also there is no code N97 on the build sheet or fender tag.
Then i should use a unsilenced air cleaner. also very nice to see but I was always thinking there should be an dual snorkel on it.

No, without the "N97" on the build sheet ? 
yours is NOT a "California Noise Reduction Pkg" equipped Charger for 'California Sale Only'....
which the N97 code Charger's were specially equipped Charger's including the Dual Snorkel Silenced Air Cleaner to meet the new for 1969 California automobile noise reduction legislation. Other N97 requirements were undercoating, turned down exhaust(NO tips) and some very strange factory insulation pads present in door panels and firewall that many 'experts' I've shown them to on mine had never seen before ?

Yours probably came with just the 'round' and far more easily acquired UN-silenced Air Cleaner.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Texasdoc

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/members/69chargerr-tse.36841/
Spend the money and do it right the first time, or spend more money and do it over, so it's right.

Douwe

Thanks and I ordered the correct one.
Will be shipped next week, I am curious