News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Under Car Shields

Started by john108, May 11, 2021, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Attached are some shields that I haven't installed yet.
I seem to barely remember 1 on each side of the car but that is the limit of my memory.
I searched the service manual and my eyes couldn't find them.

I would appreciate some insight on where they all go.  One of them has undercoating on one side so I assume the undercoating points toward the center of the car.

Thank you

Kern Dog

The steel one attached to the drivers side frame rail as a splash guard to the starter. I didn't put mine back on after paint.
The thin rubberized pieces cover the holes in the fender aprons that are there for access to the upper control arm alignment cams. I left those out because spark plug access is through those holes when you have headers that block access from above.
What other questions do you have? I'm on a R O L L !

green69rt

The first pic shows the shields that hang under the fenders.  The long wide slots are where the bumper brackets go thru.  The shields screw to the bottom of the sheet metal pieces that support the fenders at the front.  In the picture below you can see the bumper braces.  Look closely and you can see the fender brace (black)  The shield screws to that brace at the flange.  I stole this pic from another thread, my appologies.

Kern Dog

You are either confused or you posted the wrong picture.

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 11, 2021, 11:00:43 PM
You are either confused or you posted the wrong picture.
Couldn't find a good picture.  On the other hand I may be confused.  :shruggy:

I see others have done better.

john108

Thanks Guys.
Some help but borderline dementia keeps be confused at times.
Attached is a picture of 2 shields that I think close openings used for alignment.  
Unfortunately, there are 4 openings. I can't find the other two.
the comments provided a link to a picture Shakey once uploaded and I also attached it.
I believe it shows one of the two shields in my 1st picture.  It does appear to wrap around a bumper bracket (I think).
I am still confused about the large metal shield in my 2nd picture.
Greg - Is that the one you indicated goes near the starter?
The two tar-paper-type shields ???

Kern Dog

The thin steel ones go on the fender aprons near the front sides of the upper control arms.

john108

Then what goes on the rear sides of the upper control arms?  I only found two of those metal plates, with the screws.
There are two rectangular holes there too.

will

The rear openings get the rubber type that is pictured above. The ones with the metal push clips.

john108

Thank you
Exactly right.
Combining other comments and your confirmation, I got it now.
I put the metal closures in except those thick tar-paper type closures.
Need more push pins and probably material that is not 52 years old.
Thank you all, again
John