News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Epoxy

Started by BrugeeRT, May 17, 2021, 01:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

What is the name of the PPG epoxy that goes down initially on bare metal...I think the old version was DP90?   Going to get my car blasted in a few weeks and want to make sure I get the right thing.
Mark

hemi-hampton

DP90 was Black Epoxy, They had DP48, DP50, DP74 ect, ect. The different #'s was different Colors. I haven't used any in a few years now so not sure if it got replaced with something newer? LEON.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 17, 2021, 08:19:43 PM
DP90 was Black Epoxy, They had DP48, DP50, DP74 ect, ect. The different #'s was different Colors. I haven't used any in a few years now so not sure if it got replaced with something newer? LEON.
The original DP has been gone for a while now , been replaced with DP90LF  ( lead free ) . Since that happening , I like to use PPG's lower line called Omni , MP172 is black . Mixed with MP175 catalyst 2:1 , can add reducer 10% to make it a little thinner . Been using it with never any problems .

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: BrugeeRT on May 17, 2021, 01:23:38 PM
What is the name of the PPG epoxy that goes down initially on bare metal...I think the old version was DP90?   Going to get my car blasted in a few weeks and want to make sure I get the right thing.

Old version was DP , new version is DPLF ( lead free ) . As responded to Hemihampton , since that going away I switched to PPG's lower line called Omni , their epoxy is called MP172 ( black ) . For your car being blasted , that is the perfect product to put on it . Get it back from the blaster , prepsol / wax grease remover clean it real good , put on 2 wet coats of the Omni Epoxy and you're good . It can also be used as a sealer when adding reducer .

hemi-hampton

I meant DPlf when I said that & assume original posted did also. Since the Original has been gone for past 20 years. Just my opinion but I'd only use the Cheaper Omni on a used car lot car. I don't like using any of the cheaper Products. LEON. :shruggy: :Twocents:

BrugeeRT

Thank you for all the responses.  I called the nearest PPG vendor and all they can sell in Maryland is the DPLV which is the low VOC version of DPLF.   Any good websites to buy it online?   closest vendor to me is about an hour away.
Mark

funknut

If you are not attached to PPG I've heard many people happy with SPI and they ship to your door.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/epoxy-primer

I've used it once with good results, but my painting expertise is minimal at best. :)