News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8-3/4" green bearing

Started by Hard Charger, May 24, 2021, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard Charger

Hoping for some advice.

Had the axle bearings replaced recently with green bearings. Having trouble sliding the axles back into the housing. The end is not quite engaging the carrier and the bearing is just entering the end of the axle tube.

Appears the bearing will not slide in to the end of the housing even with a little persuasion. I would imagine that the bearing is a snug fit and i am not aligning correctly/perfectly or 2ndly that the bearing could be slightly to large.

Does any one have experience with this. This is my first green bearing replacement.

John_Kunkel

Other than replacing the axle bearings, was anything done to the internals? With the clutch-type Sure-Grip, it's not uncommon to have the thrust buttons fall out and prevent axle installation and the splines in the side gears can become misaligned. Grab a flashlight and have a look/see down the tube.

BTW, this post would be better placed in the drivetrain forum.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Hard Charger

John: Thank you for replying

No thrust button, can look thru the axle tube.

I just had a Detroit Trutrac TT913A572 installed. Says 30 spline and the axles are 30 spline also.
Had Green bearing installed on the axles #9400M 1.563'x2.875. Axles slides in the tube up to the edge of the bearing/o-ring just a fraction.

In fact the splines on the axle are not reaching to the inside of the Trutrac center. Can tell by the slight side to side play and the fact that i put some grease on the end of the axle to show if it was reaching.

The tube and the axles have worked in the past together with a open diff.

Mopar Nut

Are your inner axle seals still in the housing?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Hard Charger

MN

Just the brand new replacement seals at the ends of the tube. Wasn't able to get the axle bearing far enough into the housing to even hit the seal.

I really think the issue is at the bearing, It is very tight in the housing. Confirmed the bearing number, and that was correct unless the wrong part was in the wrong bin.

I was able to get the bearing about 1/2" in further into the tube. Didn't want to hit it with anything other than a rubber mallet. Everything was greased up also.