News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

air shock recommendation

Started by r4daytona, May 28, 2021, 07:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

I just picked up a very nice 63 convertible.  I want to install an air shock kit just to give it a little lift in the rear.  Everything I see on Amazon looks like they have plastic fittings. I read the reviews for the Monroe shock kit and they were mostly horrible because of the plastic fittings - and all the rest look like plastic fittings as well.  I called my local Autozone and they don't have, or can get, them.  Any recommendations/advice?  Thanks

birdsandbees

They all have plastic fittings. I took the air shocks (with plastic fittings and lines) off my Bee during restoration. They were installed in 1978 and still held air.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Daytona R/T SE

I've got some with the "plastic fittings" on my '72 charger.

I ordered them from JC Whitney 25 years ago, they are still holding up to all the abuse I have put them through...

moparstuart

yup fitting and lines are all plastic   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

r4daytona

Thanks guys, getting a set from my local NAPA.  Only a few bucks more than Amazon and if there is a problem and they don't fit for some reason at least it's easy to return them  Thanks

cdr

Get the Monroe ones, the other brands if the air leaks out or run o psi it will ruin the shock seal
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

You want an air shock recommendation?
Don't use them. Re-arch the springs if the rear is sagging. The shock crossmember isn't designed to support the car.  :pity:

birdsandbees

What everyone always says Greg, but I have "living" proof that you can run air shocks for 40 years and that the only OE part under my car for sheet metal is the upper shock mount was reused. EVERYTHING else was replaced.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

cdr

I run monroe air shocks on my junker, hooks great at the track, rides great on the street
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

70 sublime

One of my former Chargers I had came with air shocks on it when I got it
I had to replace the shock cross member because the the hooks on the cross member that go over the frame rails to mount it to the car were all ripped off
There were cracks in the trunk floor right above the cross member I had to fix also
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

You can see a non stock crossmember on Charlies car.

birdsandbees

Yep, but as I noted I had air shocks on mine since the '70's and that upper shock mount was the only OE part we put back on the car for floor metal. Nothing wrong with it after 100,000 + miles. Now if you pump the things up to 100 PSI and make the thing solid with the ass end 3 feet in the air..  :slap:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 28, 2021, 05:12:41 PM
You want an air shock recommendation?
Don't use them. Re-arch the springs if the rear is sagging. The shock crossmember isn't designed to support the car.  :pity:

You can always add more metal back there. Cheap and easy fix.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 28, 2021, 11:29:00 PM
You can see a non stock crossmember on Charlies car.

True, but that is a recent addition , had air shocks on it with the stock x member for 11k hard miles, it never cracked or broke, but I also only ran 45 psi in them, people like to JACK up the rear @ 120 psi & yes the will break the rear x member

Kern Dog

Yeah, I suppose with moderate pressures, the crossmember would be fine.  :2thumbs:

r4daytona

I've been reading the advice that you guys have given and appreciate it.  I don't want to get into re arching the springs right now.  I just want to give a little lift because i have to be the car at an upcoming wedding to drive people.

Anyways, I got the NAPA shocks and the bolts off the convertible I got came off beautifully!  However, the bottom hole fits nicely on the lower bolt/stud but the new shock has a stupid steel bushing inserted in the rubber at the top and it won't fit on the top bolt!  I can't even press the steel piece out.  So now I have to research what air shock will have a 5/8 hole at both ends.  ugh

Mopar Nut

If you want Air Shocks, install the best, Gabriel HiJackers, sold at most speed shops, local auto parts stores, Summit Racing and Jegs. I just took a good used pair off my Charger that the PO installed 30 years ago, they would have been perfect to use temporarily. Maybe ask to see if someone has a good used pair they want to get rid of.  

Check for your size here.
https://gabriel.com/light-vehicle/products/hijackers/
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mike DC

I vote to lift it with the leaf springs.  Use either helper-leafs or longer shackles.   Keep the body weight on the spring mounts where it belongs.  And there is no air shifting from side to side.  

Yeah, those are ghetto fixes.  But air shocks aren't less ghetto, they are just less visible from 20 feet away.  

Besides . . . I've seen some pretty cool cars with shackle lifts.  It doesn't look bad in moderation IMO.   

RiverRaider

The times I have seen people have breakage was with the shocks pumped up to the point of little or no suspension travel.
On my 70 Charger I run 32 PSI with 15" 295's and 36 PSI with 15" N-50s. This keeps the N-50s from rubbing most of the time.  On my car that's the pressure that gets the rake I want.  If I am going on a rough road or a show field I will increase to 40 psi.  The shocks I use are not B-Body shocks they are for big Chrysler cars I believe the set on right now are Imperial.  The shocks are about 2" longer than B Body on the collapsed and extended lengths.   If you google air shock charts they show the installed, extended and collapsed lengths.  At times new old stock Chrysler/Imperial air shock are sometimes a lot less expensive than the B-Body ones.  I found that the use of the longer shocks reduced required PSI and gave me the softer ride at the height I want.  I have a on off valve on one line.  I fill both at the same time as the lines are on a tee, but I have a Clippard valve that I close on the divers side line.  This stops the air from flowing from shock to shock.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

TexasStroker

For what it is worth I have had HiJackers for 20+ years...didn't have any fitment issues, but I'm not sure how that translates over to your 63.  Hopefully you can swap them out at NAPA...picking them over amazon has already paid off in that regard.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

ACUDANUT

I use a combo or shocks with springs !!