News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Speed Starter Solenoid Ground

Started by Wolfe440, June 04, 2021, 01:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfe440

1969 Charger 4 speed.

The firewall starter solenoid has a ground pin, for automatic cars a brown wire connects to it from the automatic neutral switch.

But on a four speed there is no ground feed to the solenoid, so what source delivers the ground to the solenoid?
None of my schematics give any indication.

Thx,
Wolf

armor64

i believe if you don't have the clutch switch (may be 70?) this goes to ground. I think there may be a difference version that is case grounded instead of external for the stick cars.

for instance, the rockauto ones from Standard shows the SR105 has a seperate blade terminal for ground, and the SR106 its soldered to the case

Wolfe440

Quote from: armor64 on June 04, 2021, 01:11:29 PM
i believe if you don't have the clutch switch (may be 70?) this goes to ground. I think there may be a difference version that is case grounded instead of external for the stick cars.

for instance, the rockauto ones from Standard shows the SR105 has a seperate blade terminal for ground, and the SR106 its soldered to the case

How interesting, very good. I have seen many but never saw one that was grounded to the case. I been looking at four speed car pics online but never clear enough to see the solution, and I don't know what happened to the original solenoid.   

Thank You!!

Gold Rush

In 1974 there was a switch activated by pressing in the clutch which fed the ground to the start relay.  Seems to me that having it any other way would be fairly dangerous.  ::)
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Wolfe440

Quote from: Gold Rush on June 04, 2021, 04:23:54 PM
In 1974 there was a switch activated by pressing in the clutch which fed the ground to the start relay.  Seems to me that having it any other way would be fairly dangerous.  ::)

Right! I been thinking the same thing. 

I drove a 69 4 speed Bee in the 80's, and a 69 manual RR and have no events to remember. I think the factory starter didn't do much with car in gear, and I used the emergency brake a lot being a manual. But not sure with today's higher torque starters....of which I am using one now. I may have to do a test.     

Fix would be to rig a brake switch to the clutch pedal, simple ground circuit.

Nacho-RT74

In 70 4 speeds began to get same relays than autos, getting the ground from as mentioned, a clutch switch with a green wire throught the firewall. This switch is really weird per I have seen, somethimg like a rotation system switch?. I think could be used some other kind of switch, like the one used on emergency brake switch somehow mounted into the pedal assembly with a bracket? Sorry, I'm not familiar with 4 manual cars.

Otherwise just use the correct relay or jump out the ground prong from autos.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html