News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few questions about tire and rim sizes

Started by john108, June 09, 2021, 05:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

To start, I did read through the 21 page stickie post at the top of this section.  Most of my questions were mostly answered but not always exact.  Also, there was a very large variations of subjects.  I have received other comments that mostly answered my concerns, but not completely.

OK.  1968 Charger R/T.
Thinking of putting the same size wheels and tires at all 4 corners. It seems like a good balance, without giving the impression that I race.
I am considering 15x8 wheels with zero offset (4.5 BS).
Tires : 245 / 60  all around. I may consider other options.
QUESTIONS: Is the best choice for the rims "zero offset"?
AND are the inner and outer wheel clearances good (front and back) and approximately equal, with the above rim and tire combination, if that is important?
Thank You,
John

hugh1968charger

I would NOT suggest 8 inch all around....... somebody did that to my car before i bought it and the front rims rub on the upper control arms when I am turning 

green69rt

Quote from: hugh1968charger on June 09, 2021, 06:16:13 PM
I would NOT suggest 8 inch all around....... somebody did that to my car before i bought it and the front rims rub on the upper control arms when I am turning  

Same on my first Charger.  8" on the front was too much (hit control arm IIRC) and also bad for alignment. 6 or 7" probably ok.

EDIT; Went out and looked. 15x8 road wheels with 4.5" BS and about 245/60 tires.  Lock-to-lock no rubbing.

john108

Thanks, I didn't think of rims rubbing.
What about tire size up front, 245 / 60  or 245 / 65 or should that also be smaller?
I was originally thinking about tire height being about the same front to rear.

One of the comments, in the stickie post above, led me to believe that the car would drive better with all the wheels the same.

Now I need to think about different tire and rim size from front to back?
Suggestions please.

Thank You,
John

6bblgt

I think your "best bet" is 15x7.0" all around with 245/60/15

I've recently put 15x7.0" & 245/60/15 on the front of a '70 'cuda (Mickey Thompson) & '69 Road Runner (BFG Radial T/A)

6bblgt

& here's a '70 Charger R/T with 15x6.5" RALLYE wheel & a 245/60/15 tire on the front

Just 6T9 CHGR

My Cragars are 15x8 all around.   4.5" BS with 0 offset.....no rubbing on anything front or rear.

245/60 front & 295/50 rear

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

john108

Thank you.
Some mixed messages.
Do you think it is a tolerance issue or the use of some after market parts?
I don't want to make a mistake even though both options are good.

The rears could go either way, even larger.

6bblgt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 11, 2021, 05:11:42 AM
My Cragars are 15x8 all around.   4.5" BS with 0 offset.....no rubbing on anything front or rear.

....... but, but your car is perfect!!  :2thumbs:

6bblgt

Quote from: john108 on June 13, 2021, 11:37:10 AM
Do you think it is a tolerance issue or the use of some after market parts?

yes, all of the above including ride height

OzCharger69

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 11, 2021, 05:11:42 AM

How did 295s fit on an 8" rim?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: OzCharger69 on June 13, 2021, 03:29:23 PM

Pretty easily I suppose....8" is minimum width for a 295.  Although as seen in pics, it does bulge at sidewall a bit.  10" width is preferred
As you can see in this pic the rears are not as "squared off" as the front sidewalls are..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

OzCharger69

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 14, 2021, 05:03:04 AM
Quote from: OzCharger69 on June 13, 2021, 03:29:23 PM

Pretty easily I suppose....8" is minimum width for a 295.  Although as seen in pics, it does bulge at sidewall a bit.  10" width is preferred
As you can see in this pic the rears are not as "squared off" as the front sidewalls are..

Thanks for that. I'm strongly considering doing that. Yours sit nicely.

6bblgt

while not ideal for handling or even treadwear - here are 295/50/15s on a 15x7.0" RALLYE on a '70 Road Runner & the above R/T

c00nhunterjoe

Imho, whatever your rim width is, stick to that tire width. Cramming a 10 inch tire on a 7 inch rim will have less traction then a 6 inch tire on a 7 inch rim.

Kern Dog

The 68-70 Chargers look terrible with skinny wheels and tires. The beautiful bulges and curves of these cars beg for wider tires. A stock Charger with stock tires looks like a NFL lineman with tiny, ballet dancer feet.
I have 9 inch wide wheels up front. The OP knows my car and has seen it.
I suspect that the OP will not be driving this car 20,000 miles per year. I know that I don't drive mine more than 2,000 miles annually.
Because of this fact, why not run a wider set out back? Who cares about tire rotation for a car you'll maybe put 10,000 miles on in the next 5 years? Choose tires and wheels that fit the look that you want for the car. A 10 inch rear wheel out back and an 8 inch wheel up front fill the wheelwells and look great.
My tires and wheels are different front and rear and have never posed a wear problem. The properly aligned front end keeps tire wear even and the Sure Grip differential does the same for the rear. My first new set of tires were on the car from 2003 to 2014. I only replaced them because of age. They were a sticky 200 treadwear rating with maybe 14,000 miles on them. They still had plenty of tread.
Few people use these cars for commuting. Few people drive them cross country. We don't put a huge amount of miles on them.

john108

Kern Dog
The reason I started looking at the sizes I quoted above was based on a previous recommendation you gave me.
The reason I asked again was because I received a concern that the 8" wheels would contact the control arm and received a similar comment in this post as well.

A part of Your Quote:
I say, choose what you like in terms of appearance. A 245-60-15 up front and a 255 or 275-60-15 in the back is a really good setup. It looks great and will handle the road better than the skinny stock tires.

Thank You
John