News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about getting an open car trailer of my own

Started by 70 sublime, June 09, 2021, 11:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I have been thinking about getting my own open car trailer
Buddy has one just next door I can borrow when I want but would like to have my own

Hope to move a few more project cars around soon and my own trailer would be nice

Not looking for a 5th wheel set up just a regular bumper receiver tow type set up

The trailer I borrow is just a plain flat trailer with 2 axles and ramps that need to be installed to use

There seem to be a few options on trailers

Option 1  flat trailer with ramps
Option 2  flat trailer with a small down angle near the back ( beaver tail ? ) with ramps
Option 3  tilt trailer where the back 2/3 of the trailer tips once the car is back far enough with no ramps
Option 4  tilt trailer where the whole trailer bed tips hydraulically with no ramps

Not everything I will be moving will drive on or may or may not have working brakes so will be looking at getting a winch also

I bought a Charger once that the owner delivered for me and he had one of the tipping trailers where the back 2/3s tips
Worked very slick
Always wondered if there was a car or truck too long that it would want to tip before the back wheels got on the trailer and get stuck ??

Any one with option 3 or 4 and are happy or un happy they have this type of trailer ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Old Moparz

If price is a big factor you might want to consider the one that I bought. It's a 16' long, dual axle, 7000 lb. "Load Trail" car hauler, brand new in 2004 for $1700. (Similar trailers were $2200 to $2600 at that time.) It's a very heavy duty trailer for the price, has the beaver tail & ramps, too. I would have liked to have gotten the 18' one, but I wanted the option of putting it in the garage with the car on it if I had to & the 18' wouldn't fit. I went with a wooden deck so I can attach cleats for moving other things besides cars. It also has stake pockets so you can put sides on it. After 18 years I now have some rust in the outer faces of the fenders. The wood deck held up well but I removed it to clean up the frame & replace some boards.

I didn't look to see if they make a tilt bed trailer, you'll need to check. I have no regrets buying this one other than I wish I had a bigger budget at the time for an all aluminum one.

Load Trail Site - Car Haulers Page:
https://loadtrail.com/trailers/car-haulers-bob-cats/

Find a Dealer:
https://loadtrail.com/find-a-dealer-2/

I've had several different size cars including B & E Bodies, a Corvair & a F-150 pick up truck on the trailer & it always felt fine while towing. The heaviest vehicle I towed on it was my 1995 Ford F-150 when I sold it to someone I knew. I think it weighed around 5500 pounds. I've towed it with my 1995 Ford F-150 before I sold it, & my current 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that both had/have tow packages.

I looked at other trailers that were new before getting this one but they were junk economy ones. I also looked at used trailers that were more money & decided it wasn't worth it & bought new.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

69F8C500

I'd recommend one with the "dove tail", if you are hauling project cars, this is the kind you want. And I would also recommend a trailer with a metal floor instead of a wood one. You will eventually have to replace the wood, especially if the trailer is stored outside.

DownZero

A lot depends on your budget and what you're towing it with. Less expensive ones have smaller capacity axles. Pay attention to GVWR. Aluminum trailers are great but pricey. Me, I'm really looking into an enclosed trailer. I think it would be more versatile.

Aero426

Quote from: 69F8C500 on June 10, 2021, 02:08:52 PM
And I would also recommend a trailer with a metal floor instead of a wood one. You will eventually have to replace the wood, especially if the trailer is stored outside.

The wood deck we got with our open trailer in 1988 was kaput by 1995.   I replaced it with green treated and it is still on there doing fine.   It would be expensive to do that today. 

Aero426

I think your best bang for the buck is a flat deck with a beaver tail.     Longer ramps are a plus if you have low front clearance (wing car with front spoiler).    4 wheel brakes are a must have.     Torsion axles ride nice.   Mine has leaf springs and I really don't mind. 

Used trailers seem to hold their value pretty well.

426HemiChick

Quote from: DownZero on June 10, 2021, 05:48:35 PM
A lot depends on your budget and what you're towing it with. Less expensive ones have smaller capacity axles. Pay attention to GVWR. Aluminum trailers are great but pricey. Me, I'm really looking into an enclosed trailer. I think it would be more versatile.

Hi DownZero,               18 June 2021

Been looking at trailers, enclosed 24', new, $13K+. Long ago we had an open race car hauler made by Friess Welding in Akron, Ohio. It was a well made unit, dropped axels, loading height was minimal at about 10 inches, pull out ramps, storage box in front. It was too short for our Daytona, had to back it on and tow slowly. Fortunately it was a short run from storage to the house. Took the nose off and it was OK. The Friess trailer was only useful for hauling cars and maybe a small truck.

Friess no longer makes trailers, the Boss man Roy passed away, family still running it. They sell Car Mate Trailers, which has dealers in the north east as far west as Michigan. Wish we still had the Friess unit for short moves but an enclosed unit now seems to make more sense as cars aren't the only things you can haul. The Friess unit was very well built, actually Over Built would be more like it.

Looking around here in Texas as we would like something we can haul our cars and other car stuff in. At the moment it's Stuff we need to haul, the cars are now home in Phoenix.

Car Mate is in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania.

At the moment, car hauler trailers are a hot item here in TX meaning $$$++.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

70 sublime

I have looked at a couple different places selling new trailers and they both say sold out and have to order one if you want one
And sit and wait

Had no idea trailers were such a hot ticket right now

Might just have to keep borrowing my friends trailer for now :(

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 10, 2021, 12:49:18 PM
If price is a big factor you might want to consider the one that I bought. It's a 16' long, dual axle, 7000 lb. "Load Trail" car hauler, brand new in 2004 for $1700. (Similar trailers were $2200 to $2600 at that time.) It's a very heavy duty trailer for the price, has the beaver tail & ramps, too. I would have liked to have gotten the 18' one, but I wanted the option of putting it in the garage with the car on it if I had to & the 18' wouldn't fit. I went with a wooden deck so I can attach cleats for moving other things besides cars. It also has stake pockets so you can put sides on it. After 18 years I now have some rust in the outer faces of the fenders. The wood deck held up well but I removed it to clean up the frame & replace some boards.

I didn't look to see if they make a tilt bed trailer, you'll need to check. I have no regrets buying this one other than I wish I had a bigger budget at the time for an all aluminum one.

Load Trail Site - Car Haulers Page:
https://loadtrail.com/trailers/car-haulers-bob-cats/

Find a Dealer:

Your car 18 feet long, why cant a 18 foot trailer fit into your garage.
https://loadtrail.com/find-a-dealer-2/

I've had several different size cars including B & E Bodies, a Corvair & a F-150 pick up truck on the trailer & it always felt fine while towing. The heaviest vehicle I towed on it was my 1995 Ford F-150 when I sold it to someone I knew. I think it weighed around 5500 pounds. I've towed it with my 1995 Ford F-150 before I sold it, & my current 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that both had/have tow packages.

I looked at other trailers that were new before getting this one but they were junk economy ones. I also looked at used trailers that were more money & decided it wasn't worth it & bought new.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 19, 2021, 05:15:29 AM
I have looked at a couple different places selling new trailers and they both say sold out and have to order one if you want one
And sit and wait

Had no idea trailers were such a hot ticket right now

Might just have to keep borrowing my friends trailer for now :(

Hi Sublime,                    19 June 2021

Trailers are hot because there is a large exodus from the crime ridden cities of the west coast and the north east. When I inquired about renting a 26 foot box truck to go from Fort Worth to Phoenix I was quoted $700.00 plus pay for the fuel which is normal, 6 days, unlimited mileage and zero drop charge.

Going the other way $3K for the truck plus fuel, plus mileage plus a drop charge.

Trailers here are hard to come by and they are expensive when you can find one that meets your requirements. We have 1100 miles to cover between FW and Phoenix. Not sure we want to rely on a used trailer, would prefer a U-Haul rental as they would have to supply a replacement in case of a breakdown. No such luck with a used one.

Hope you find what you want and meets your requirements; if you can afford it, buy a bit larger/more than what you need at the moment.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Dano 1

I just moved and was able to use that as an excuse to buy a car trailer. The only local brand I was happy with (Kaufman in NC) was on a 6-8 week backorder due to raw materials, demand etc etc. I ended up driving from Charlotte NC to southern PA to buy a Cam Superline trailer. IMO these are the nicest trailers money can buy, www.camsuperline.com. If I had the money I would buy a tilt but I just couldn't justify the cost. Mine is an 18' with a ~48" beavertail and slide out ramps, dual 5000lb Dexter axles (brakes on both), 5" channel frame, wood deck with diamond plate beaver tail, sealed wiring harness etc. I went with the wood deck mostly because I was moving and would have to load a lot of oddly shaped shop equipment etc. and the wood deck allows you to easily screw down chock/stop blocks to stop stuff from shifting. If you're just hauling cars a diamond plate deck would work just fine and eliminate the potential of wood rot. I added a Harbor Freight 3000lb ATV winch to the front which has also been invaluable in loading other 'stuff' and potentially non-running cars in the future.

Here's a pic of my car loaded up on moving day. Even with the beaver tail mine still hit the exhaust on the way up/down although I mostly attribute this to the design of my exhaust. If Cam trailers are available in your area I would highly recommend them and am happy to take more pics/give you more details of mine for reference.

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

RiverRaider

Over the years I have had 16' and 18' wood deck, open pit and steel deck dovetail trailers.  I now have a Road Warrior 18' steel deck dove tail from Johnson trailers. https://www.johnsontrailerco.com/steel-floor-car-hauler-trailer
Mine is an older model built about half way between their 3.5 ton and 5 ton trailers.  I do not need a heavy trailer for iron hauling or big demo derby cars where a trailer from H and H is more suitable.  https://www.hhtrailer.com/ 
This trailer has worked better all around than any other trailer I have had.  I would suggest rear storage for the ramps, trailers with the ramps stored into the side can be a headache.  Dove tail with steel deck.  A collar lock or sleeve lock hitch will provide years of trouble free use.  2" ball size or 2 5/16 will cut down on people borrowing your trailer.  Four wheel electric brakes.  Stake pockets so you can add removable plywood sides.  A fixed jack not one of those swivel ones.  With the dove tail being longer on a 18' rather than a 16' trailer  2" ratchet straps can pull a pickup on my trailer, but for the money Harbor Freights 12,000lbs winch is hard to beat.     

My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Old Moparz

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 19, 2021, 11:26:28 AM

Your car 18 feet long, why cant a 18 foot trailer fit into your garage.

Because you can't remove the front 5 feet of the trailer.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

70 sublime

Well for now I ended up borrowing a trailer from a friend to get a car home

Kern Dog

Quote from: Dano 1 on June 21, 2021, 07:11:45 AM
I just moved and was able to use that as an excuse to buy a car trailer. The only local brand I was happy with (Kaufman in NC) was on a 6-8 week backorder due to raw materials, demand etc etc. I ended up driving from Charlotte NC to southern PA to buy a Cam Superline trailer.

Yeah? How much?

Dano 1

I think I paid a little over $4000 all-in. Not cheap but trailers, especially to tow cars as valuable as ours, are not the place to pinch pennies IMO. Plus having shopped for a used one they virtually don't depreciate.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

MGBRingo

I recommend the H & H trailers.  They are very well made.  I had a 20' tilt bed and really liked it.  I sold it when I moved and purchased a 24' enclosed trailer.  I am happy with that one also.  The H & H tilt bed was really easy to load and unload.  I used it for everything from my Charger, to a couple of Fieros, to a motorcycle.  I always had an easy load and unload.  The 20' length was great.  I mounted a winch on the front of it and it could load anything easily. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: Dano 1 on June 30, 2021, 07:42:20 AM
I think I paid a little over $4000 all-in. Not cheap but trailers, especially to tow cars as valuable as ours, are not the place to pinch pennies IMO. Plus having shopped for a used one they virtually don't depreciate.

Thank you, Dano. That isn't a bad price.

c00nhunterjoe

I bought mine as a basket case from a lanscape.company for 200 bucks. Plasma cutter, paint, and lumber and some sweat and tears and ive got a pretty nice peice. 24 footer with the dovetail, wide deck, fits pickup trucks with room to spare.