News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel opening Trim

Started by john108, June 25, 2021, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Charger R/T    This may be a dumb question, but maybe not.
I took the trim off many years ago and question myself as to which opening to install them on.
The trim has some spring to its shape and doesn't exactly match the shape of the opening.

It appears that the leading surface of the opening is closer to vertical than the trailing surface.
With this observation and the outside lip, I decided which trim pieces went on left and right sides of the car.
I may be wrong but I think the front and rear wheel openings have the same shape.
But, I did notice a difference in the leading and trailing mounting hole locations on the trim.
I think I can feel a difference in hole location on the fender??
What makes it worse, I have a 5th piece, and I don't know which is the extra, yet.

I also notice that some trim pieces have about a 4 inch cutout in the flat surface. 
I thought it was to clear the front fender center brace but it doesn't line up with it.  The same trim may be used on another car model??

ARE THERE ANY OTHER FEATURES THAT I DIDN'T NOTICE TO DIFFERENTIATE FRONT FROM BACK WHEEL OPENING TRIM?
It might be where each piece has to be fit to see where it matches and holes line up.

paironines

The fronts have the cut outs in the top middle the rears do not. The long more angled edge of the trim goes to the rear on all wheel wells. The Charger moldings are stainless and the Coronets are something else and are duller. I don't think any repops I've bought fit very well so I personally seek out good used ones at swap meets for my cars.

john108

Thank You
I was converging on the same answer.
Of the 3 left side trim pieces I have, 2 have the cutout.
Thanks again
John