News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis Leaf Springs - 7 years later tires are rubbing in the wheel wells

Started by krigel, July 15, 2021, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Hi,

I put the Hotchkis TVS system in my car in the summer of 2014 (I did everything). Since then the car had a complete rotisserie resto, and the suspension was detailed and put back in during 2018. My wheel set up is Boss 338's 18x9.5 with Nitto NT555 285 40's. Recently, when my kids hop in the back of the car, or if I start from a dead stop at a corner, the twist in the suspension is causing the tires to rub inside the wheel well. The car does sit really low with these springs and torsion bars. Has anyone had issues with Hotchkis springs not lasting? Do they tend to sag that fast?

I'm considering putting in Mopar Super Stock springs with a 1 inch lowering block. Any input would be great. I'd also welcome any photos of the rear suspension set up of Super Stocks with a 1" block so I can gauge the ride height.

Cheers,

KR

WHITE AND RED 69

Yeah the Hotchkis springs do sag after a while. I've had mine for about 10 years and it's gone down at least another inch in ride height over the years. I've talked to a few others with B-bodies and they have the same issue. But I do like them, they felt much better than the last pair that were on mine.

What's the backspace on your wheels? I originally had 285/40/18's and the fit was great with no rubbing. But when I switched to a 295/40 I have a slight rub on the little hump on the outer wheel well. But I think in a few years I'll make the switch to a 4 link from RMS. That way the height can be easily adjusted.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

krigel

Backspace on the 9.5 rears is only 5 inches. I have 1.25 inches between the spring and the widest part of the tire, so I am thinking of going to a 5.5 or 6 backspace. Mine rub about an inch of the bulge in the outer wheel well, and are doing it even without passengers turning corners.

I may drop down to a 17 inch wheel as well, and get Magnums for it.

Thanks for the reply!