News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alt discharges then 8 min later starts charging...most likely issue?

Started by AKcharger, July 15, 2021, 09:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Took 70 for ride to the store while driving notices it ALT gage to the left in the discharge area. I thought "well I guess I having somthing to fix when I get home" go in store, come out start it and Ias I drive away I see it's charging normally?!

Once home I check for loose connections at ALT and voltage regulator...all good. I put the trickel charger on it and let it sit for a few hours. I just pulled charger off and start it...still charging!

What was the most likely cause and is it likely to return??

Thanks in advance!

b5blue

Auto parts stores have a doohickey thingamajig they hook to your car and have you do a bunch of things to test everything. They give you a printout. It's free and kinda fun, they would get a real kick doing your Charger. 

Nacho-RT74

It could be something so basic like the brushes loosing contact against rotor tracks after some heat. Alternator is an easy piece to service. Once I found one of my alt brushes  inserted into the plastic isolator which got melted somehow, then lost contact with rotor track. I have the pic of that somewhere
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

Well, been driving it 2 days now, seems fine. also threw a guage on it at auto zone® and it's fine. I guess I just chalk it up to a glitch in the matrix

green69rt

Take the battery out and have it load tested.  A bad cell can cause all sorts of wierd things.

AKcharger

Quote from: green69rt on July 18, 2021, 10:36:11 AM
Take the battery out and have it load tested.  A bad cell can cause all sorts of wierd things.

I did (didn't mention that) i's good. nice thing is it's eiter the Alt or voltage regulator

b5blue

I got a trickle charger with my TW200 and found out later it would show full charged light at 11 volts. (So now I've an extra bike battery.) My repop positive battery cable had intermittent contact between the wire/lead terminal connector. Both issues came to mind after reading your post.  :scratchchin:

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2021, 02:18:39 PM
I got a trickle charger with my TW200 and found out later it would show full charged light at 11 volts. (So now I've an extra bike battery.) My repop positive battery cable had intermittent contact between the wire/lead terminal connector. Both issues came to mind after reading your post.  :scratchchin:

I'll keep an eye on that...thanks!