News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tremec TKO Trans is the biggest POS I have ever had.

Started by ChargerKen, July 23, 2021, 10:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerKen

Quote from: INTMD8 on August 12, 2021, 06:35:17 PM
Quote from: ChargerKen on August 12, 2021, 04:21:34 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 24, 2021, 03:44:00 AM
Did you check your pinion angle?

Yes Sir

What is the trans angle and pinion angle?

My trans angle is 2.3 degrees down, pinion is 1,6 up. Pulling the driveshaft and running up to highway speed getting the same vibration would eliminate angularities I would think.

Vibration which is speed induced sounds like driveshaft/driveshaft angles more than a trans problem.

this is a good video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
1968 Charger R/T
1978 Power Wagon Stepside
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

ChargerKen

Quote from: XH29N0G on August 12, 2021, 06:12:06 PM
I didn't add to this because it looked like it was going a little sideways. 

Leave open the option that you may have two things.  The hard shifting may be alignment of the trans with the pins.  The other may be the driveline angles or a driveshaft balance.  I had issues with both the angles and the balance that affected vibrations.  They each produce something a little different.  For the balance, I think it comes in a a speed like 55-60 mph and relates to the rear you have .  I solved it by having a company that balances truck driveshafts balance mine.  For the angles, it will come in sometimes a little higher speed (I think) and will be different depending on whether it is under load or not. 

If it is either of those, we can help. I think KD can help with the pins and has shown how that is done.

Good luck 

Thanks man. I have dialed in the bell Well within tolerances.
1968 Charger R/T
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

Kern Dog

If you were to have opened with what you wrote in post #24, you would have been better off.
You clearly have had some bad luck. I do wish you well.

INTMD8

When it vibrated with just a yoke on the trans output, it would do it at the same speed and wasn't gear dependent?

(so it would do it in both 4th and 5th at the same speed?)

What do you have for a trans mount? Possibly just transferring normal vibrations through the chassis? (though I suppose that would be more rpm than speed)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

375instroke

Wow.  I'm wanting to undertake this swap, and glad I came across this post.  OP so altruistic, just helping others and wanting nothing in return.  Did you find anything yet?  Did you send the transmission to Tremec? 

375instroke

A big deal is made of centering the bellhousing, but what about getting it square with the crankshaft?  The hole in the back of the bellhousing is centered, but if the bellhousing isn't square, the end of the input shaft is going to be off center, and at an angle, sideloading the input shaft.  Isn't this just as bad as being off center?

Kern Dog

I have 1000 miles on mine and it has been great. If these transmissions were junk, they wouldn't be the #1 choice for 5 speed swaps. The OP had some tough luck.
Guess what? It happens with every product. There is a small percentage that will be defective.

4406bbl

Quote from: 375instroke on January 03, 2022, 11:12:16 PM
A big deal is made of centering the bellhousing, but what about getting it square with the crankshaft?  The hole in the back of the bellhousing is centered, but if the bellhousing isn't square, the end of the input shaft is going to be off center, and at an angle, sideloading the input shaft.  Isn't this just as bad as being off center?

Yes,  I have a Lakewood smallblock bell that is off .016 that way, stock bell is fine so it is not the block.

John_Kunkel

I've run across the parallelism problem with Lakewoods too, mostly the early ones. Took 'em to a machine shop with a surface grinder.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bronzedodge

I'll second what John Kunkel said about the Lakewood issues.  Not myself, but a good friend with a 392 in a 30 Ford.  He had pilot bushing issues, found out it was the Lakewood bellhousing out of square.
Mopar forever!

Alaskan_TA

One of my best friends had a 1967 Barracuda fastback with a crate 360 and a 4-speed.

It was a BLAST to drive.

(I drove for Don a lot in his car, he was a paratrooper in Vietnam and his knees were shot)

He would drive for as long as he could, then we would swap seats.

He swapped it to a Tremec. :rotz:

It went from a joy to drive to one issue after another. Their tech support sucked, but he did finally get it drive-able.

It was no longer fun to drive after the swap though, he did not like it and neither did I.  :Twocents:

Save the money and stick with a factory 4-speed.

Kern Dog

Yeah. Stick to a 1-1 top gear and listen to the engine buzz at 3000 rpms on the freeway..... :hah:

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 12, 2022, 07:16:01 PM
Yeah. Stick to a 1-1 top gear and listen to the engine buzz at 3000 rpms on the freeway..... :hah:

Great idea!

BETTER than EVER hearing ANYTHING ewe have to say.  :Twocents: :cheers:

(yes I did spell 'you' wrong just because I know ewe are an internet grammar cop)  :rofl:

Kern Dog

Everyone knows that you're a purist, Barry. Nobody that had read your posts would expect you to embrace anything aftermarket.
The Tremec has been fine in my car. I do know that in the early days with Kiesler, there were some problems that annoyed many customers.
For guys with 3.55 or deeper gears, these transmissions have made these cars a LOT more fun to drive. You lose nothing to an 833 in the lower gears and you get quieter and smoother high speed cruising. I'm loping along at 1900 at 75 mph. In direct drive, I'd be at 3000 or more.

Derwud

I have to 70 B-Bodies.. My Charger has a SST TKO 600 kit with 540 and it is FLAWLESS! I have a Coronet Wagon with a Keisler TK500 kit and it is crap compared to the Charger.. Amazing the difference..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 12, 2022, 05:49:54 PM
but he did finally get it drive-able.

It was no longer fun to drive after the swap though, he did not like it and neither did I.  :Twocents:

Care to expound on that? What about the swap took "the fun" out of driving it?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

69Chrgr

Haven't been here for a while, and just now reading this post. I hope the OP got his transmission corrected. I usually draw the short straw and get the only "defective or busted in shipping" parts and I share his grief. I am about to take the gamble on the Tremec 6 speed from SST. I hope for $8,500 it is worth it. Currently I have an Indy headed 512 with a Cope 727 and a Dana with 3.73's, and it's no fun on the highway. Hoping I have the same outcome as the happy customers that have posted their experiences here. Also hope the OP got his car dialed in so he can share what he found.

ChargerKen

Quote from: 375instroke on January 03, 2022, 11:12:16 PM

I checked that as well and it was square
1968 Charger R/T
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

ChargerKen

Quote from: 375instroke on January 03, 2022, 06:58:57 PM
Wow.  I'm wanting to undertake this swap, and glad I came across this post.  OP so altruistic, just helping others and wanting nothing in return.  Did you find anything yet?  Did you send the transmission to Tremec? 

Buy the TKX my new TKX is nice and smooth and shifts like butter even when its hot 
1968 Charger R/T
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

Bronzedodge

I feel like I missed a post where a TKO was exchanged for a TKX?
Mopar forever!

ChargerKen

Quote from: Bronzedodge on March 21, 2022, 02:57:55 PM
I feel like I missed a post where a TKO was exchanged for a TKX?
I just pulled the POS TKO out and ate it. Bought a new TKX. Had to modify the tunnel to make it work.
1968 Charger R/T
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

Kern Dog

Modify, how? The TKX is supposed to be a slightly smaller unit.